Audio Technica ATH-AD700X Uncomfortable

After deciding on a lower high end headphones. I chose the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X (http://amzn.com/B009S332TQ). The sound is clear just as Logan mentioned in his 200-1000 dollar headphones. However, I may soon be returning these if I cannot come up with a better foam replacement. The weight of the headphones actually becomes quite uncomfortable with my smaller head.

It also doesn't help I have flat wide ears. I have been able to wear the headset for about 20 minutes to an hour. After that, it is mildly uncomfortable. Then when the headset is off a surge of paint comes through and I have to bend my ears for a bit. I guess I made the wrong purchasing decision. I don't know. Thoughts?

1. The cups don't articulate like other heaphones so it probably creates a pressure under your ears since it doesn't lay flat over your ears. What you need to do is bend the metal band where it just meets with the cups just ever so slightly until the cups don't create uneven pressure in your ears.

2. Next, use, an elastic material to hold the two wings since they will sag the headphones down, like this.

1. Buy earpads for it which is easily replaced.

The oval shaped cups of the Brainwavz HM5 will easily stretch to the circle cups.

The Audeze also sells earpads replacement which should easily fit ATH-AD700x earcups.

2 Likes

I have older ATH-A500's I found them comfortable enough in the beginning but years later when I finally bought new foam pads I was surprised to find my ears had more room in there compared to the original leather-ish? ones.

I can sympathize with your plight. I wear glasses and finding a decent pair of headphones that are also comfortable is an ongoing adventure. I've been through dozens of pairs.

Triton made really comfortable circumaural headphones but the frames were cheap plastic. And because of them not being flexible enough, they ended up breaking on me after a few months. Astros (don't hate me!) are comfortable with glasses but they're way overpriced for what they are for me.

I've also tried Logitech and HyperX but these headphones sit on my ears and not around which makes them really uncomfortable with glasses.

Right now I've just settled on some shitty earbuds which are easily and cheaply replaceable.

@Giulianno_D has made several good suggestions though. Changing out the original ear pads to some decent aftermarket ones usually does help out quite a lot.

Dude I love you, for helping me. I have all I need besides the replacement cups. "Thank you past me" for buying a ball of rubber bands. I will try these steps then report back.

1 Like

I know the feeling, given I also wear glasses occasionally at the desk on top of that. I am near sighted so I can get away with not wearing mine most of the time. I was thinking about aftermarket choices, but I didn't have a good idea of what to look for.

OMG, tried out the steps and fixed! I'll look into the foam cups next.

1 Like

No problem, I have an ATH-500x myself and I too have a small head. :D

If the rubber band if unconfortable, you can also put a hair rubber band, less strain on the hair.

Also, I know that these velour ear pad from hifiman fit on the ath-ad

Another great suggestion I will take into consideration. I did actually try using the search engine to find this topic. I went through several pages. My search parameters, I suppose were not good enough.

The elastic trick worked for me too! Keeping the ear cups links in bookmarks!
Thanks!!

Grabbed a set for myself. Good links!