Audio question for home theater

So right now I have a projector set up with my home theater in the basement. The projector I use is the BenQ W1070. I have a LG sound bar that I use with it. I dont remember to model of it, but it has two optical audio channels on it. This set up worked fine when I just had my apple tv and bluray player hooked up as one went to each channel. Issue is that I now have satellite downstairs too and no way of hooking up audio to it.

Now my BenQ W1070 has a Audio In/Out on the back panel. Is there any way of hooking that up to a optical port on my sound bar through some converter so all the devices will run off that audio? Picture below is of the back panel of the projector.

Its oing to have to be some sort of powered converter box monoprice has some reasonably inexpensive and well rated ones... Here

You know what I might already have one of these. Is the audio out in that projector the same as coaxial out?

You can have audio go over HDMI to a TV if you have one. And have that feed through the TV out via the optical out.

Edit Nevermind it doesn't have a HDMI out. Is the Audio out a Digital Coaxial?

No. I'm pretty sure that's a 3.5mm jack (two channel analogue). Coaxial is s/pdif digital. If that's the case, @AC1DSKU11's solution won't work. What input's does your soundbar have?

If the point of this is so that you can switch the input on the projector and have the audio automatically switch too, you're better off just buying a receiver to control whole setup. That's why they exist.

1 Like

Has 2 optical and a 3.5mm

Just go rca out (the red and white one) of the bluray player, say, to 3.5mm in. And toslink > toslink (optical) on the other two.

Get one of these. https://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Extractor-Optical-Converter-VHD-H2HSAs/dp/B00KBHX072

The audio out might have have a 3.5mm/2.5mm socket in the centre of the rca. Try a 3.5mm/2.5mm to 3.5mm stereo cable.

Yeah your right it is 3.5mm wishful thinking I suppose. So you would have to buy a toslink to 3.5mm cable then...

That seems like the cheapest way of getting this all to work. How would the quality be though? Any degradation over straight optical to optical?

The digital bits would be the same.

Also try plugging a pair of headphones into the bottom right yellow audio out RCA, it could be analog stereo.

Scrap that.

Either get the HDMI audio to optical S/PDIF extractor or get a 3.5mm stereo cable like this
https://www.amazon.com/Vention-3-5mm-Stereo-Audio-Cable/dp/B00JTUQG32/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476231840&sr=8-1&keywords=3.5mm%2Bstereo%2Bcable%2B5m&th=1
and plug it into the 3.5mm input on your soundbar and the other end into the green audio out socket. It's not a yellow RCA like I thought.

1 Like

The HDMI audio extractor is for the satellite decoder. If it doesn't have HDMI out then you would need an RCA to 3.5mm stereo cable. Or 3.5mm to 3.5mm if the decoder has a headphone output.

So with this 3.5 to 3.5 25ft cable what would the sound quality be on that compared to optical audio?

It wouldn't be as good but it's only satellite tv with highly compressed audio not a DTS-MA blu ray, so it wouldn't be noticeable.

If you don't need 25ft then get a shorter one.

Cool, Ill give it a try. Thanks alot.

You're welcome. Don't forget to switch the input source on the soundbar to Aux and turn the volume up on the projector.

1 Like