Audio pass through problems with virtual cables

hello everyone,
I have a home theater display that only has component out and optical audio out and no speakers built in. I have a speaker system that I use with my computer but it uses rca cables. I want to pipe the sound from the tv (that I cast to from my phone or laptop) to the speaker system that my desktop uses via the optical port on both. I have a virtual audio cable installed but it doesn’t like passing the sound through when I’m on cast. I have the virtual cable set to default audio device, in the recording tab I have it set to listen to the virtual cable and play it through my speakers but when I swap to cast it doesn’t play any sound. Am I missing something here or am I just doomed to never use my cast feature?

Are you sure that the TosLink port on your computer can accept sound coming in? They are usually designed for output only.

Not entirely sure, but I’ve used it for a gaming headset for it’s audio and mic (but it also had a usb connection that I assumed was for power since it doesn’t plug into anything else but toslink and usb)

Would you be able to supply the make and model of the sound card or TosLink addon to your PC. I am pretty sure that you were not using that as optical input on the computer. PC addon boards to optical input are are prohibitively expensive.

Not an add on, just the port the board came with. I tried to look of the specs to see if it would be an input but they only said it supported surround sound and moved on to the usb ports.

You wouldn’t happen to know how tv’s treat their usb ports do you? It has one of those and I could use that as an audio pass if the tv treats it as a full usb and not just an input.

Then it is not doable. That is audio out only to go to a receiver or surround sound system that supports PCM or Dobly DTS/Prologic.

You may want to look at at a few of these. I use them at my house for my setup.

The supplied cable for this one is pretty bad. I would get my cables from Monoprice.
http://a.co/fcxqYOO

Out of the two, I like the device from MonoPrice better. These are dumb devices. So I have output going form my computer and from my TV into my Speakers. I then have another one setup to break out the signal to my wireless headphones.

my surround system only supports rca and I have an rca to 3.5mm splitter. :confused: if I had a toslink on the surround or even component it would have been really easy as I have tons of cables.

I have two of these as well.
http://a.co/6KSp6kG

Before greater than 5.1 audio was a thing, I heavily invested into TosLink and S/PDIF. I have TosLink cables everywhere.

Now we’re cooking, thanks! That should wrap things up with a bow.

I am glad that I can help.

Just remember that TosLink can only do 5.1 max. Uncompressed (PCM), it can only do 2.1.

At this point, it is not wise to TosLink all the things. I wish they would update the standard since it is optical.