ATI (AMD) HD 4870 X2 - testing various games

This card is two GPUs. You could pass it through to two VMs for a dual gaming machine. I passed through an ATi HD 5970 which is two GPUs.

not sure this one is new enough for it to work, but i had similar idea with it. Maybe i could try it, but current rig doesnt even have uefi, so not sure it would work with oldschool bios. I can throw it in AMD FX rig with latest 990FX board that has uefi tho :smiley:

ok re-tested Crysis on single GPU core at 750MHZ

• long distance view as from the video above still gives 30FPS. Weirdly GPU is not utilized to 100%, so something else may be bottleneck here.
  • going through jungle stable 45-60FPS even on single core only and perf feels super smooth

Didnt try different drivers yet to see, if they fix tearing or textures glitching in crossfire

Probably will have to reinstall the rig to Win 7… dont have 8.1 key and it wants activation + the 12.1 driver seems to be for 7 and doesnt seem to work properly on 8.1

Pretty sure the 4870 came out when vista was relevant so 8.1+ drivers unlikely

1 Like

AMD does have beta driver for 8.1, but that may be what causes textures to glitch in crossfire

Just a heads up that there are fully updated Vista and Windows 7 ISO images available on Internet Archive that slipstream all the updates. I use these for my older / period-accurate systems.

If you want or can’t find either, I can upload my own Windows 7 slipstream.

If you can, please do some Arch Linux tests.

What if you try with the Reshade Amd FideltityFX function, do you get more perf? Or What about DXVK on Windows, can Vulkan revive old hardware?

be nice if you have link to Win 7 PRO x64 with all those patches. I did try to find some, but there is just craploat of bloat on Archive.org :smiley:

not sure what i would test with Arch lol :smiley:

right now i will have to reinstall to win7. 8.1 is already bitching about activation and i cant even find online key sellers that would have 8.1 keys anymore :frowning:

Also i maaaay buy another 4870X2, there is auction on local website going with bunch of untested gpus, may try my luck again, since the one i have currently was sold as not-working as well :smiley:

1 Like

Here’s my own Windows 7 image with the updates integrated. It won’t fit on a DVD but you can write it to a flash drive with Rufus.

2 Likes

Windows Server 2016(win9/8.1), 2012(win8) and 2008(win7) might work better. I see a bunch of Windows server keys

shop site

on hrkgame. From my experience they are reliable and customer service in my cases helpful, as I have bought around 50 things from them already and needed help twice.

nice, will try that. Hopefully this bastard X58 board, which feeds the gpu, will boot from usb, cuz im lucky it boots from sata - it has like 3 sata controllers and all of them are … not fun to work with :smiley:

worst case i should have some dual layer DVD or whatever those were, should fit on that

update: the auction is for 3870 X2, didnt even know that existed and it has identical cooler to 4870 X2 :smiley:

not sure if i would try to win it or not, its being sold as non-working :thinking:

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.