Atari reveals more information on their upcomming "Ataribox Console" Update: AMD Bristol based, name revealed as "Atari VCS"

It looks like from the preview that those two articles are exactly the same. Go journalistic integrity…

5 Likes

So is this only going to play old atari games, or is this a whole new shebang with new games?

Cause if it’s just running paid emulators who gives a fuck.

Edit, oh yeah, everyone, those tiny NES and SNES sold like hotcakes.

Edit 2: So are they going to help with driver compatibility and performance too? for 300 you’d think it would be able to play recent 1080p games. If not just spend another 100 on a PC.

preloaded with old atari games
Fully functional Linux based budget gaming PC, rest is up to developers

1 Like

Didn’t read everything but if this can run any distro it would make for an amazing retro styled emulator machine. Hope they keep the price reasonable.

Pick one or the other

2 Likes

I would normally agree and still would not fund this. But AMD has made tweets about a partnership which adds promise.

Trash. Just throw it in the can man.

Copy pasta, I’m a journalist!

1 Like

That would legitimize this, especially if AMD has confirmed that they do have a custom APU ready for this device.

It won’t be anything special, the price point won’t allow it, it will be a budget peice of silicon

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/the-lounge-2017-09-september-two-hundred-dollar-screencap-edition/118892/21428?source_topic_id=119695

Strictly from a gaming console point of view, this is not a good option compared to xbox sony or nintendo at first glance. The guy (one of our forum members?) makes one good point in reference to how to draw “gamers” to use this console, and thats with content. But if the intent were to build another playstation or xbox, why build it at all?

Otherwise from a utility point of view, this guy is a super tard. I have two FREE dell optiplex 760’s as htpc’s and they are noisy space heaters. The ataribox could be a far better solution.

Its probably going to be a niche device but could be perfect for people with a preference to freedom and ownership. Which is why people like myself, choose to use Linux instead of Mac or Windows.

Not everyone begs to be fucked by microsoft or sony.

1 Like

I need more concrete info before I decide one way or another. If the hardware is decent I might buy one, if it’s crap I won’t. But right now though just saying “custom AMD chip” doesn’t do much for me.

2 Likes

nah dont think he has an account lol.

but lets be honest, at the cost, and that they dont even have the money to actually do it and are going to crowd fund it/the shitload of other atari garbage they have been putting out.

its very likely it will be like a ultra portable apu or something like that, maybe even embedded. why do i think this? they arent sony or microsoft, they have no other products to make money from, like online subscription fees, game sales etc. if they let you use an emulator on linux, you can emualte every atari game basically, they cant charge you for those games, unless they lock it down, and even then no one wants the mass majority of those games anyways.

so they probably wont be able to sell you alot of hardware for the cost like in the ps4 or whatever, or it wont be regular linux/will be locked down as much as possible and try to nickel an dime you on online services, updates, features, games etc

1 Like

They say in one of the interviews that you will be able to customise linux how ever you want to, starting to get this feeling people are going to buy it so they can have an Atari/Steam machine.

Now if they put Solaris on it I might be interested…

1 Like

would guess atleast the atari stuff would be locked down, like say an atari version of steam/uplay/origin

where it wont be in any repository so you have to manually install it, manually deal with probably poor documentation of what dependencies it needs etc, drm etc

This is purely a guess from the price being so low

same old 8 core jaguar, possibly less than 8gb of ram and gpu around first xbox one level…

Not really all that interested.

This is for people with enough disposable income to buy one just so they can say…
“Hey Look! I’ve got an Atari like back in the day.”,
and then they will never actually use it after they set it up.

1 Like

Or it might just come with Steam preloaded and Atari Vault to go with it since it is there and makes use of Steam hardware like the controller fro the olde schoole track ball emulation like some of them used originally. I remember they were quite happy about the steam controller for this very reason and talked up the association between them.

FEATURES:

• 100 Classic Atari 2600 and Arcade Games – Play seminal Atari titles including Asteroids, Centipede, Missile Command, Tempest, Warlords, and so much more.
  • Online and Local Multiplayer and Steam Leaderboards – For the first time ever, battle for arcade supremacy online or at home and compare your high scores with players from around the world.
  • Steam Controller Support –Experience a new level of control playing your favorite games with the multi-functional Steam Controller.
  • Brand New User-Interface – New User-Interface designed to create the greatest classic arcade experience.
  • Original Cabinet and Box Art – Relive the glory days with period-accurate cabinet and box art.

EDIT: it also runs on linux and does not need great specs so entirely possible.

EDIT2: It could boot straight into Steam Big Picture for living room stuff, which is where they have shown all the marketing material placing it. Would then also retain the ability to drop back to a functional desktop and me a general living room media thing, doing Netflix, Youtube, Spotify and such.

That was my thought when I heard it.

doubt it though, how does that make them buuuunch of money?

probably be a loss on the box itself, (like most consoles) but they arent gonna rope you into like 5> games average to make the money back on the backend like ms/sony do, as steam would get the money atari would get jackall

unless its like a 150$ zotac netbook box or something they sell you for 300 or something

unless this another e.t. level idea lol

I am expecting some version of this.