Atari reveals more information on their upcomming "Ataribox Console" Update: AMD Bristol based, name revealed as "Atari VCS"

Which would be perfect, use steam in home streaming from my gaming pc for the demanding ones, and firefox/emby/kodi for watching my media!

4 Likes

I remember them developing an ARM-based server chip a while back, not sure if it ever got off the ground though.

I like the idea in theory, but for $300 you can build a Raven Ridge-based mini-ITX HTPC. Form factor might not be as appliance-like, but upgrades would actually be a thing.

I donā€™t mind it though. Anything that could potentially push game developers towards Linux is a good thing. Even if you need a 1080 Ti to run Mankind Divided natively.

You said console and lost meā€¦ wandered off to clean the fan grills on my pc.

that dosent mean anything because of exactly the sentence after

SteamOS is dead and shall remain so. Steam machines are marketing stunts.

The most recent SteamOS release was in August, they are still maintaining it as a distro. But I do think this is a project that Valve is leaving on their back burner. They have been actively working with companies like AMD and MESA in improving Linux driver support and have also invested quite a bit into Vulkan.

The indie community on Steam have been supporting Linux as well, and tools like Unity, UE4, Game Maker, and even open source engines like Godot have also been implementing Linux support. But Linux is still not at a place where we will see triple AAA publishers jump on board.

1 Like

Is that better? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

The retro gaming community is very much alive, and quite large.
This comes already installed with ā€œtons of classic Atari retro gamesā€

Titleā€™s like Arkham Knight, No Manā€™s Sky and Fallout 4 only help the retro gaming community grow :slight_smile:

From Techcrunch:
Atari revealed this and a few more details about the Ataribox today, including the fact that 90,000 of their fans have registered to hear more about the console when it launches.

This is not aimed at the gamers who need threadripper and a pair of 1080ā€™s to play CSGO

1 Like

This basically hinges on price. Have Shield TV and it runs retroarch and a Plex server. Can upgrade storage and add a TV tuner. Base is $200 and $300 for an internal 500GB HDD. Also can do in home streaming. Has Android so no lack of software when you take into account side loading

If it is a better value I can see it doing well if over priced no one will buy it.

3 Likes

Except the Steam Machine was expensive and absolutely not worth it over building a computer

This system on the other hand COULD replace that secondary build I did, depending.

2 Likes

Your comparing a shield level of performance with a 9 series dgpu, of course the former will be cheaper, guaranteed this thing will rely heavily on in home streaming.

Remember everyone. This thread is about a product that is not out yet. We have no idea how it will perform nor what support it will have. Also Atari is just an ip that companies have bought and sold over the years. Donā€™t presume anything with the product and make it into something it is not.

3 Likes

Especially with Atari.

This also isnā€™t the Atari from the past. The original Atari was split up into two companies, Atari Corp and Atari Games, and sold off as two different entities.

Atari Corp functioned for a while making home PCā€™s (like the Atari ST) and game consoles like the Atari Jaguar and Atari Lynx under Jack Tramiel. Atari Corp was later sold to Hasbro, then Hasbro sold it off to a French game publisher known as Infogrames. This current Atari is just Infogrames with the Atari branding.

The other half of Atari, which was their arcade division, was sold off to Midway Games (Mortal Kombat), and then Midway went out of business and was bought up by Warner Bros. Entertainment. So Warner now owns the other half of Atariā€¦ againā€¦ because they did own Atari as a whole in the 1980ā€™s.

1 Like

I wondered what happened to Midway. I would not hold my breath that Atari under any ownership will manage to do something worthwhile.

1 Like

Yeah, this current iteration of Atari has a really bad track record as a publisher, and this attempt at making some hardware under the Atari name seems like a bit of a last effort to turn their brand around. They even paid quite a bit to advertise in the upcoming Blade Runner 2049 movie.

Even going with indiegogo seems a bit sketchyā€¦ especially for hardware. Kickstarter demands proof a working prototype before anyone can create a hardware based crowdfunding campaign, but indiegogo does not. Will Atari even have a working prototype of this hardware before they start their indiegogo campaign?

Yesā€¦ very skeptical. At this point ? Atariā€™s nostalgia is almost completely past relevance.

2 Likes

I mean tbh it has been for a while Atari hasnā€™t done anything ā€œgoodā€ in decades. They became irrelevant right after the video game crash in 1983 when they (partly) ruined the entire industry. They havenā€™t done anything since then.

Also nostalgia for what? Atari 2600 games havenā€™t aged well at all and if you really did want to play one (prob for about 5 minutes before getting bored) there are tons of emulators, clones, browser games or copies available for free. Buying this ā€œto play old Atari gamesā€ is incredibly dumb.

So letā€™s drop that. It is a glorified streaming device. That is pretty much it. The market is already flooded with them and for a lot less money. I see no reason for this product to exist

2 Likes

Wood grain tho <3

3 Likes

If sega had done this I would care quite a bit moreā€¦

1 Like

The buzz is going viral!

1 Like