Atari reveals more information on their upcomming "Ataribox Console" Update: AMD Bristol based, name revealed as "Atari VCS"

March 2018 update:

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/atari-reveals-more-information-on-their-upcomming-ataribox-console-update-now-using-intel-name-revealed-as-atari-vcs/119695/67?u=misterk81

Original post:
Atari (or the company that currently calls themselves Atari) has sent out a newsletter with more information on their upcoming console.

http://mailchi.mp/ataribox/first-look-ataribox-design-36241?e=316bc4d53e

"The pictures we’re sharing today are of first prototypes. Everyone that has seen Ataribox first-hand loves it, feeling the Atari 2600 influence, while still being a modern design.

Ataribox will be powered by an AMD customized processor, with Radeon Graphics technology. It’ll run Linux, with a customized, easy-to-use user interface. This approach means that as well as being a great gaming device, Ataribox is also a full PC experience for the TV, bringing you streaming, applications, social, browsing, music, and more.

Most TV devices have closed systems and content stores. Linux lets us be more open; you can access & customise the OS, & you can access games you’ve bought from other content platforms (if compatible with the OS and HW)."

…The way I see it, the console market is pretty saturated as it is, so I am not sure what Atari plans to accomplish with this system. But it has been unveiled that their upcoming console will use an AMD APU solution and run Linux. No word on what chipset it will use, it could end up being another Jaguar based system like the Xbox One and PS4, or possibly even based on the Ryzen chipset?

It is also going to be using a flavor of Linux with desktop functionality in a media center-like UI. They will also allow users to install programs like Steam for Linux and such. So it can be used as an open platform.

This console was mention on L1T news more than once, so I thought people here would be interested in the news.

4 Likes

I sure hope it has an eas-to-user interface…I cant tell you how much usering I do, so it better be easy to user with all the usering I do.

2 Likes

was kind of hoping sega would pull a stunt like this

1 Like

It’s a fucking steam machine.

10 Likes

I’ll check it out. My interest in the Xbox One is as dead as Lionhead Studios. There’s still a chance that a second game I want to play could be released for the PS4.

1 Like

I like the Atari 2600 aesthetics, and considering it’s scheduled to be released in Spring 2018, it’s possible it’ll be based on Raven Ridge rather than Jaguar, but yeah, even then I don’t see the point.

1 Like

If it’s not too expensive and is x86, I’d be interested. This could be an awesome HTPC with Linux support.

BTW tangent, why the hell do other sites say “PC, Mac and Linux” when they are all PC. Windows is not equal to PC.

6 Likes

Oh great another linux distro that’ll die in 3 months.

3 Likes

Okay, Atari somehow managed to grab my attention. But I mean I am busy getting a new mobile computer, my other two mobile systems are near the end of their lifespan.

Lets see if this device serves any purpose, it might help Linux Gaming but idk. I might just wind up doing Hardware Passthrough when I have 2 GPUs.

Steam Machine 2: Electric Boogaloo.

1 Like

Can’t wait to watch this dumpster fire lol.

Now with 400% more wood panels

Now I wonder, how flammable would wood be if you poured gasoline on it vs wood without gasoline on it.

One side effect is it will be a huge boost to Linux gaming. If people actually buy it.

3 Likes

Yeah just like those Steam Machines were! Now everyone is using Linux…

1 Like

If the price stays within the rumored $250-300 range thats a hell of a lot more attractive than the cost of a steam machine. And why buy a steam machine when you can build a pc and run steam or steamos if you like?

1 Like

There were $300 steam machines AFAIK. One or two.

Exactly and this is the exact same thing. It is basically a Steam Machine. Slightly more functional, maybe, but basically the same thing.

Pointless device imo

A chromebook for $300 maybe, but certainly not a game worthy PC.

If the atari runs a common OS that makes it far more viable than an xbox or playstation in my eyes. Why limit yourself to microsoft or playstations ecosystem? And if it ran SteamOS that takes burden off atari, and eases deployment for game developers.

As stated it runs a custom version of Linux. You’re in a way limiting yourself to Linux’s ecosystem which, for average people who this is aimed at, is even more restrictive than the former two

Which running linux is not much information. If this is some ARM based machine than it will be total garbage.

If its x86 then all software available for linux, including steam, firefox, kodi… can be installed.

WIth xbox, your limited to only that, not all of what windows has to offer.

Steam Machines were a big misfire for Valve. They jumped in way too early on that. However, I do think that SteamOS is a good long term project for them. The work Valve has done with Linux has benefited the in some positive ways, and the Steam Linux Library is getting close to 3000 games. But there still aren’t enough big names titles to grab customer interest yet.

I think the long term goal for SteamOS is move Valve in a position to cut their umbilical cord with the Windows platform and expand their business beyond Microsoft.

Going back to the Ataribox… I still get a little queezy when I hear “AMD GPU” and Linux gaming. I like AMD, but their Linux drivers have always been weak. Though MESA has been getting some interesting results with their open source drivers.

I think it is safe to bet that this will be x86, AMD only develops x86 CPU’s. By the sounds of it, this will be a Linux Box that can run mid-tier Steam games.