Asus W680 - ECC not recognized?

Hi,

I bought an Asus W680-ACE (no IPMI) for my new workstation. Somehow I can’t get Ubuntu or Windows to show me ECC support.

Mainboard: Asus W680 ACE (without IPMI, not needed)
RAM: Kingston KSM48E40BD8KM-32HM (2x for now)
Bios: 2305 (latest)
Driver: Latest Chipset Driver from Intel Website, ME tool, and full ME update. Device Manager looks clean.

Under Ubuntu I checked with dmidecode -t, and couldn’t see ECC support. Windows PS MemPhysical response with code 3 instead of 6. Data Width is 64, and TotalWidth is 80, indicating that the Ram has true ECC support. (Which is expected from the Kingston Ram). SPD Write is activated, no hypervisor whatsoever.

Thanks for any ideas.
Best
Styp

What CPU are you running? Not all the LGA 1700 CPUs actually support ECC.

Yes, I have a feeling …
13900KF

I just ordered the 13900K to make it work. Got the F version because I don’t need a iGPU but the Intel documents are not good on this topic…

I’d say that http://ark.intel.com is very informative

I tend to disagree.

13900k - ECC support: yes
13900kf no ECC support is not mentioned, an explicit NO would be helpful.

I will report back once I get my 2nd CPU tomorrow…

1 Like

Yes it’s a weird one, my 12700KF is the same, no mention of ECC either way.

I’d like to get an update if it’s working. I have the Asus ACE W680 along with the same Hynix Kingston memory on my watchlist. Always good when others are successful with the same combination.

Intel Ark is great, but they don’t like negative entries and just mention things that are supported. Marketing department probably had a word when designing this resource.

Yeah, it is the case. 13900KF has NO ECC support, while the 13900K has ECC support.

13900kf:

13900k:

Now I am just wondering why the return value is 5 not 6?

2 Likes

5 = Single-Bit ECC
6 = Multi-Bit ECC

ECC Memory is generally single bit correction and only multi bit reporting (but no correction). So the 5 is correct.

Thanks for the follow up. ASUS Memory QVL is very bad (no entry on any ECC DIMM), but I guess I can get those Kingston modules now.

Do you have the IPMI variant? If yes, does the card come with a low-profile bracket?

2 Likes

Yeah, the Kingston modules work pretty well.
In my opinion, the board is very ‘unrefined’ for the price. Booting is super slow and feels a little buggy somehow. It got way better with Bios 2305 but still - I mean it’s a workstation board.

No, I don’t have the IPMI card as I don’t need that feature.

Sorry to revive this old thread… but I’m seriously planning on picking up the ASUS W680 ACE SE (mATX) motherboard and pairing it with a 14900k with ECC DDR5 memory of some kind.

Is ECC memory compatibility as sketchy as everyone is suggesting online? I was thinking of buying unbuffered ECC memory from Crucial/Micron, but they keep insisting that their ECC memory isn’t compatible, despite me checking the datasheets on their memory.

I found a link to the memory I’m interested in and was thinking of purchasing four sticks of this to populate all the slots, especially since this memory is single rank, which should be easier on the IMC.

Micron 16GB DDR5-5600 ECC UDIMM 1Rx8 CL46 | MTC10C1084S1EC56BR | Crucial.com

Hopefully, not only is this memory ultimately compatible, but can run at 5600 speed as well. I understand Intel platforms can be a bit squirrelly with four memory slots populated as opposed to two. Thoughts?

Honestly, the only way to be 100% sure is to buy RAM that appears on the QVL for the motherboard - which for 5600MT/s limits you to a couple of SK Hynix options. Anything else is a “might work, might not”, unfortunately.

1 Like

Fair enough. I did see that QVL as well, so I’ll just stick with what is on the list and hope for the best.

1 Like