ASUS Transformer Book T100CHI-C1-BK(WX) Intel Atom Z3775 (1.46 GHz) 64 GB eMMC Intel HD Graphics Shared memory 10.1" Touchscreen Windows 10 Home 32-Bit/ First Impressions

Decent packaging but terrible manuals :(

Surprising amount of weight. Feels Premium

Holy fingerprint magnet .............Batman :)

Tablet part is very thin and light

This was a Newegg Black Friday sale for 159.00 US dollars

My Review is coming at a later date after some time spent but Here are the basic specs

ASUS

Series
Transformer Book

Model
T100CHI-C1-BK(WX)

Quick Info

Color
Black

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 32-Bit

CPU
Intel Atom Z3775 1.46 GHz

Screen
10.1"

Memory
2 GB

Storage
64 GB eMMC

Graphics Card
Intel HD Graphics

Video Memory
Shared memory

Style
2-in-1

Type
Everyday Value

Usage
Consumer

Dimensions (W x D x H)
10.10" x 6.90" x 0.30"

Weight
1.30 lbs.

CPU

CPU Type
Intel Atom

CPU Speed
Z3775 (1.46 GHz)

Number of Cores
Quad-core Processor

Display

Screen Size
10.1"

Touchscreen
Yes

Wide Screen Support
Yes

Resolution
1920 x 1200

Operating Systems

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 32-Bit

Graphics

GPU/VPU
Intel HD Graphics

Video Memory
Shared system memory

Graphic Type
Integrated Card

Hard Drives

SSD
64 GB eMMC

Memory

Memory
2 GB

Memory Spec
2 GB onboard

Communications

WLAN
802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN

Bluetooth
Bluetooth 4.0

Ports

USB
1 x Micro USB

HDMI
1 x micro HDMI

Audio Ports
1 x Headphone/Microphone Combo Jack

Input Device

Keyboard
Keyboard Dock

Webcam
2 MP Web Camera / 5 MP Back Camera

Power

Battery Life
Up to 10 Hour(s)

Dimensions & Weight

Dimensions (W x D x H)
10.10" x 6.90" x 0.30"

Weight
1.30 lbs.

Things I think are okay
1. Keyboard and trackpad work as they should ( not much experience with them in general )
2. Bluetooth devices pair easy enough.
3. Screen resolution is pretty nice for the money
4. Sd cards work well
5. On screen keyboard works fine ( even if it is an odd layout )
6. Basic Audio is meh in the normal windows kind of way. Dual speakers right and left not completely terrible.
7. Testing Kodi and VLC for video playback. Will get back with you.

Already annoyed by some things

1. Keyboard dock takes 8 hours for first charge
  2. Tablet cannot be setup without the keyboard docked .............. 8 hour wait :( Didnt take 8 just 4 must have been a really dead battery.
  3. Pairing the keyboard: first time pin enter... timeout is a little short
  4. Basic Setup takes way too long and would lose most android users in the first four hours :)
  5. Scaling between apps and desktop ui is not very good
  6. Rotation Scaling of desktop..... maybe a setting somewhere?
  7. The normal windows 10 automatic malware bloatware installs....Asus was far more respectful than expected. Edit: I retract my statement about Asus lack of bloatware after beginning my debloating of the os.
  8. Some no name antivirus preinstalled :)
  9. Did i say ? That getting this device fully updated took a retarded amount of time :(
    1. some backlight bleed at edges of tablet only noticed against black screen
      I will try and keep this just a first impressions thread as i work my way through the unmodded os/hardware setup.

Just a Fast and Dirty setup impression. Leaves me pretty okay with the purchase. Keep in mind this is not a gaming machine and should not be expect to do so. Basic Media consumption and light productivity is the niche this device is marketed at.

Conclusion : Worth the money ( 159 dollars ) but might not be worth the time to unbloat and setup well for some people. In fact the ease of use factor is basically thrown out the window. It will take some effort and knowledge to just set this up in a balanced fashion. The windows store is almost completely useless when compared to the android offerings.
That will be my next step with this device. Tracking down the most useful and resource friendly software to load in desktop. I have some plans on doing some OS stripping and sharing my basic configuration if anyone is interested. Just give me some sorting time.
May form a different opinion after more long term use.
Once I get this setup, I will do some basic battery life testing.

3 Likes

Is this device a touchscreen? if it is i could see this being a neat device to install something like android on

Yes. It is touch screen. Without doing any stripping of the os or resource management , it is actually not that bad on win 10.
Not as quick as my desktop but i did not expect that. See Android has a problem ? It is called google :) Gonna try out the amateur google wannabe's this round. Worse comes to worse, I can always throw a distro on it. People are dual booting these things :)

1 Like

I have a T300 as a daily driver.

Getting it to dual boot with everything working all at once was a not so fun experience. Had to manually setup the Bluetooth sync or whatever in Linux to get it to work on both operating systems at the same time.

I figure bluetooth , wifi, and maybe even audio will be pita if i understand Asus and linux correctly :) I almost forgot touchscreen

When I installed Manjaro all the drivers "worked", but to get the keyboard working in Windows and Manjaro required taking the Bluetooth key from Windows and manually setting Manjaro to use the same key.

I was not able to get the keyboard to work while logging in no matter what I tried, I had to use an external keyboard to login before the Bluetooth one worked.

Ran it to that issue just with reinstalling an unbloated version of windows. Funny thing is that your gonna want most of the Asus bloat ware for the tablet side of the functionality of this device. Half bloatware half useful stuff you need :(

camera so far sucks and is hard to get right.

This was easier to use and took better basic pics :(

Two in one has more functions and settings but i would say the ease of use is out the window :)
Not real happy with the rear camera even if it is my ignorance that is the issue.