ASUS Router Question

Thanks, I already knew about the power limit, this unit is rated for 250watts so there is a fair bit of power budget to power POE devices.

1 Like

New router is put into place as it went down just before my work shift started :frowning:

FYI - seems that ASUS is now using 192.168.50.1 as the default LAN IP address scheme so watch out for that if you have any statics setup on the LAN side of things.

Well so far so good and will monitor for the next week or so and look at getting my LAN equipment upgraded.

Trying to go with 2.5gb networking.

This ASUS router came with the following networking ports:

(4)Four, 1gb
(1)One, 2.5gb
(1)One, 10gb

It defaults to the 10gb port for the WAN interface.

I should then be able to setup the 2.5gb port onto a 2.5gb switch for faster LAN connections and data transfers to and from the file server.

Latest Speedtest rating

If you dont have more than 1gb internet then I would change the WAN to one of those ports and use the 10gb port for connection to another switch.

1 Like

I will keep that in mind thanks.

Really? The asus router I picked up earlier this year still was using 192.168.1.1.

Wonder why the change.

Not sure but it was factory defaulted to 192.168.50.1

It was a factory sealed unit and it needs the latest firmware update which I have to do later on today.

So after a couple of days and a firmware update, all is going well with the new ASUS router.

Now to review the rest of my networking equipment, looking to do the 2.5gb LAN thing and replace the switches.

Already got one for the basement as the old Aopen 8 port switch has been running for well over 15 years now.

I bet that is a name many will not remember :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

switches, when built right last forever. A true unsung hero of networking!

1 Like

Hung from their ports, cases rusty, filled with dust, config half-assed at best, still forwarding frames!

1 Like

Well so far so good, no more random disconnects and RED error lights on my new router.

I decided on a pretty high-end unit, this ASUS model.

Amazon.com: ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 Pro Tri-Band WiFi 6 Extendable Gaming Router, 10G & 2.5G Ports, ASUS RangeBoost Plus, Triple-Level Game Acceleration, Subscription-Free Network Security, AiMesh Compatible : Electronics

Yup, they changed their default IP.

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1005263/

Thanks for the update, I figured they changed it.