The specs I wrote down at Staples had it as having:

i5 6300 HQ @ 2.3 GHz
8 GB ram
1 TB HD
2 GB GTX 960M
Wireless AC, HDMI, USB 3.0
Windows 10

It weighs 6.6 pounds.

The price they had for this which was discounted by $100 was $899.92 and I may be able to get it for less as I may have a coupon that will bring the price down further. Now this is Canadian pricing btw and we have 13% tax to add and there may be some sort of recycling fee. I am not sure though. (Update: Now back to $999 pricing.)

What do you think of this laptop?

I am using it for gaming and really all I am trying to play is something that would need far less graphics power than this. Thing is though I am trying to find good value in the laptop I get. Price / performance as best as I can get.

Btw here is the store's listing for it ...

http://www.staples.ca/en/ASUS-ROG-GL552VW-SB71-CB-15-6-Gaming-Laptop-2-3-GHz-Intel-Core-i5-6300HQ-1-TB-HDD-8-GB-DDR4-Windows-10/product_2417479_2-CA_1_20001

Also I found this ...

... and now this ...

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/lenovo-15-6-laptop-black-amd-a12-9700p-1tb-hdd-12gb-ram-windows-10-english-open-box/10656344.aspx?

I purchased that laptop almost exactly minus the ROG branding.

To be honest I didn't play too many game on it but the ones were:
Portal 2: Ran at 60 consistently no matter what.
Rocket League: Same case
Fallout 4: Mix of high and medium settings mainly draw distance at max with shadows and god rays off or low hovered around 25 to 60FPS depending where I was.
H1Z1: KotK: Ran anywhere from 40 to 60FPS always on low because its unplayable in some cases regardless of gpu.

The SSD that comes in it was okay in Read at about 500 and write sitting around 200.
Stand 1TB HDD 5400RPM.
I would have liked 16GB of RAM but not really necessary in most cases.
The quadcore CPU is miles better than any dual core hyper threaded cpu you would find in other laptops.

Also very easy to get to the SSD, RAM, and HDD.
The rest is kind of hard to disassemble where you loosen the screws on the bottom and open it from the keyboard side so reapplication of thermal paste may be a chore in the future.

I am not entirely sure about the cooling of that model but the model I had purchased left the gpu at an okay 55C to 70C depending what games I played but that heat must have bled into the cpu as it would hit 70's easily and climb to about 80 to 85C.

1 Like