Does anybody here own a ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Impact and run either either a 5900X or 5950X on it? I am about to give up on running either of these CPUs on this board model. I was previously running a Ryzen 5 3600 with the goal being to upgrade to a 5900X or 5950X as soon as I could find either at retail. I could really use some advice from someone running this CPU/mobo combo as I have not been able to find a stable configuration. From all I have tried, there seems to be an issue with this board and the memory controller on the Zen 3 CPUs.
Here’s everything I have gone through:
CPUs and memory kits have been tested on a B550 board and are working
There are no thermal issues with the CPUs
Memory kits tested
- G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 3200 MHz 32GB (16GBx2) CL16 F4-3200C16D-32GTZN (this kit is in the original QVL for the board)
- Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz 16GB (8GBx2) CL16 BL2K8G32C16U4W
- CORSAIR Vengeance 3200 MHz 16GB (8GBx2) CL16 CMR16GX4M2Z3200C16
BIOS versions tested: 3402, 3501, 3601
- For all BIOS versions, memory kits and the 5950X, the system would crash randomly when using the default (SPD) memory profile. Memtest86 would crash after a short period of time and the memory fault LED would light up on the board.
- For all BIOS versions, memory kits and the 5950X, loading the D.O.C.P. (XMP) memory profile would cause the system to crash during or right after POST without ever loading the OS. Every crash would result in the memory fault LED lighting up on the board.
The original board was RMA’d to ASUS and a replacement was sent back. The same issues are present on the replacement board. I also tested a 5900X in the replacement board to rule out any issues with the particular sample of the 5950X I had tested and had the same issues.
I am unsure if there is a particular memory QVL for Zen 3 that overrides the original QVL. ASUS links a more recent memory QVL on the board’s support page, but it’s for the Crosshair VIII Hero instead of the Impact.