ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi X470 Motherboard Review | Level One Techs

No registered ecc works

Thanks for the quick reply. Iā€™m actually looking to build an AMD rig with at least 256Gb of RAM (loads of VMs to come on ESXi or KVM). Not sure even if higher-end X399 chipset would support this despite 8 DIMM slots! Iā€™d also prefer to go with ThreadRipper (2) instead of Epyc, especially for CPU frequence and gaming :wink:

Bought the board for a 2700x. When I first put it into my Define R6 I kept getting Q-code 8 for some reason. I took it out of the case and tried it on the motherboard box and it started working again. No idea what happened but everything is working now.

Is it just me or is the mouse movement in the UEFI kinda weird? Like there is some sort of acceleration. Using a Logitech G700.

What do you mean by weird? My first board which I RMAd had terrible lagginess in UEFI which would increase until freezingā€¦ :confused:

Maybe something in the case caused a short?

I will move the mouse and while its moving its accurate. Then I stop moving it and there is a little bit of momentum. Threw me off a bit.

Yeah, must have been a short somewhere. Everything is working fine now.

I have a question maybe @wendell can answer.

I bought the CH7 board and have set up Windows 10 in a VM with GPU passthrough.

Which M.2 slot is shared with the middle 8x slot? In the UEFI M2_2 is the one closest to the CPU and appears to be the one that is shared with M2_1 being beside the middle slot next to the chipset.

Iā€™m currently running an RX560 in the top slot for the Linux host, and have a GTX 780 Ti in the middle 8x slot passed through to a VM. The top M2 slot has my SSD for Linux in it.

I can disable M2_2 and it appears to set both 8x slots to 8x speeds, but this obviously makes my SSD not boot. So do I have the SSD in the wrong slot for 8x on both GPUs?

I just want to make sure I have the best performance to the VM by the 780 Ti not going down to 4x by mistake.

Use M2_1 at the bottom of the board.

Also, if you want, the metal heat spreader from M2_2 can be used on M2_1.

I had a second look through the manual and you are right. Iā€™ll move everything down to the bottom slot and hope that the heat spreader doesnā€™t touch my GPU.

I just did a test with Overwatch and with the exception of sound not working, everything performs great! even at 4x speeds on the 780 Ti

1 Like

Small gripe I had with this board after building it was the USB 3 socket location.

The USB 3 cable on cases are very thick and its difficult to plug it in when its at the bottom because the cable needs to stick out so far for it to be straight and not bend anything. Its not like other front panel IO that you can stealth plugin and have go through the bottom grommet.

I built in a Fractal Design Define R6. My old Z87 board had the USB 3 port near the 24-pin connector which made sense and didnā€™t cause any stress on the socket.