Return to Level1Techs.com

ASUS Pro WS X570-ACE paired with Ryzen 9 3900x - ECC fail - advice wanted

Ram: 4x Supermicro MEM-DR432L-CL01-ER29
Board: ASUS Pro WS X570-ACE
CPU: 3900x

Currently I can’t post; I get a yellow RAM Q-LED and nothing else.

I’ve tried removing all ram, running with 1 stick, 2 sticks, 4 sticks - all give the yellow RAM Q-LED.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Did anyone get 32G ECC dimms that work?

Also, there seems to be a recent BIOS update; but no details about what was updated; I’m thinking of getting a little non-ECC ram to try the update, then retry these before returning.

From a spec I found it says: ECC REG DIMM

I believe that means it is Registered, and that won’t work with Ryzen or Threadripper. You need Unbuffered, Unregistered ECC.

Double check your RAM specs. I could be wrong here.

Ugh; obvious now you point it out, thanks!

You don’t happen to know of any 32g ECC dimms that work with Ryzen?

Crucial 16GB dimms of modest speed are running fine, so are slower kingston modules. But your best bet is the Asus QVL.

I don’t know at the moment what’s best. I searched around for a month or two before I bought the 64 GB in 4x16GB I have now, because I wanted to find a good deal and Ryzen compatible.

I believe it was these, but I thought the price was lower. Search around, as I said. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m using the Pro WS X570-ACE with 4 x 32 GB ECC UDIMMs from Samsung M391A4G43MB1-CTD, they work fine [email protected] with 1.2 V and a Ryzen 9 3900 PRO.

1 Like

Thanks, somehow I’d not thought to look there. I found the actually support faster ram and their search is great.

Do you mind me asking how much you spend on your RAM? I found those modules for ~$205 each.

The price sounds about right. In Germany they sell for about EUR 175 right now.

FYI I got two of these, and they work great. Two more on the way! Thanks for the advice!

Was ~$190/ea on eBay : https://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-32GB-ECC-DDR4-2666MHz-M391A4G43MB1-CTD-UDIMM-Server-Memory-RAM-32X1/254510853453

2 Likes

Happy to hear that! I’ve never had any issues with Samsung OEM DIMMs, just wished they’d also release the faster binned DDR4-3200 ECC UDIMMs :frowning: