Asus Pro WS W680-ACE

Pro WS W680-ACE IPMI|Motherboards|ASUS Global Any experiences with this board?

Most retailers around here list these, with bit high (600 euro) price and unknown availability. Leafed through the manual and the PCIE layout seems good, only bit of head scratcher is that SlimSAS connector.

1 Like

I hope they come out with a x670 variant. they did have a x570 variant. this board ticks all my boxes. sell my team red and go to team blue

Seems to be the first W680 motherboard for normal adults (the Supermicro is for senior citizens with its classic PCI slot wasting space better used for PCIe), the Gigabyte one is a bit too barebone for my tastes.

My personal gut is rumbling pretty hard regarding Intel at the moment, remember that the Alder Lake microcode sources leaked?

While sunlight is a great disinfectant, I’m pretty doubtful that Intel is going to fix everything that’s going to come from that - and let’s be honest, will most likely affect Raptor Lake very similarly.

AMD is no saint, but at least here I’m mostly only at odds with them regarding their product launch policies (no Zen 3 TR-Non-Pro, no 5950X3D, delayed 7000X3D), “USB 4 support” on X670 is just slapping Intel Thunderbolt 4 controllers on the motherboards.

4 Likes

escobar_waiting_meme.bmp

This board looks super interesting and I can’t wait to get my hands on the IPMI card. I wonder if it’s held up because of the I226-V issue? Or more likely Lunar New Year at this point.

I think it’s great. You can choose to use those four chipset lanes for SATA drives or a fourth Gen4 x4 NVMe drive.

Newegg Business appears to have it in stock… shipped and sold by Newegg.

I also see the IPMI version at Provantage. I wish I knew why the IPMI version has a lower MSRP.

I ordered mine from Provantage when I found it in-stock there (checking teh googlez daily with a 24hr recency filter on results). It arrived quickly - they genuinely had it in stock. I have had great luck with Provantage for past parts, like the W-1290P and E-2288g chips.

I too am baffled as to why the IPMI model has a lower MSRP. Seriously, just toss the extra card if you don’t want it, and save a considerable amount?! At first I genuinely thought it was a listing error.

So you can’t discern any difference between the board you got and the one shown on listings for the non-IPMI version? It’s got to be a pricing error, which makes me think I shouldn’t wait much longer to order one…

What do you think of the board so far? What processor are you running?

Did Anyone purchase this board? I saw it on the computer shop I frequent. How do you like it?
Anyone running Linux / FreeBSD on this hardware?

Thanks

Seriously tempted by this board for a small NAS build. ATX really hurts it for me though; that means I’d have to use a large case that I can’t physically lift T.T

Any word on an mATX version?

You were right! This was apparently indeed a long-standing, channel-wide pricing error.

Now, not only does ASUS’ website reflect the prices flipped ($409 US for IPMI, $329 for non-IPMI), but so too do retailers like B&H Photo.

Even when the major channel-wide restock notifications went out, e.g. B&H was still showing the $329 price for the IPMI version. Bummer! Maybe there are still some retailers with the previous flipped pricing.

My board from Provantage has been going strong. As of now, though, Intel XTU doesn’t seem to be able to change clocks on the 12900K at all. This seems unexpected to me (despite being a workstation board, many other OC-esque features are available, like custom memory timings and unlocked power limits). I also think that the BIOS allows setting the clocks, but not the latest XTU. Hopefully XTU is eventually updated, although I plan to run Proxmox anyway.

Wow, I wonder how many sold at the wrong price. Hopefully no one loses their job over this.

I had one ordered but then I started reading up on Sapphire Rapids-WS and Meteor Lake and decided to cancel my order and hold off for now.

Has anyone tried Micron MTC20C2085S1EC48BA1 with this motherboard? I saw somewhere else confirming this board working with Hynix but haven’t seen any reports with the Micron.

I felt similarly, but the single-core performance of the Xeon W chips is so underwhelming. Even a 13900KS on this board might be an interesting consideration, and if PCIe limits are minor (within x2), you could go with PCIe 4.0 switches (I’m using the Rocket 1580, but others P411W-32P).

I’m successfully using the full-height version from Micron. This is a very strange DIMM! I’d guess signal integrity could be compromised relative to the full-height version (at least, I have heard this in the past). ShopBLT dropped prices on the DIMMs I’m using a while back.

I’m still a bit annoyed by a very long POST (easily a minute), although to be fair, I have not disabled any of the insanely-detailed BIOS settings for DDR5 training / initialization. This is only an issue when experimenting with different PCIe switch configurations anyway.

Hi, can somebody post the iommu groups of this board? I think I saw it some other thread but lost it :roll_eyes:

idimitro,
Sorry for the late reply, but I just finished extensive testing of this board - including the IOMMU groupings… Here is my post on the topic: Asus PRO WS W680-ACE & VFIO - GREAT NEWS

Hope this helps!

Best,
AX

1 Like

Does anyone know if/when this board will be restocked?