Asus Prime x570-p SVM with DOCP issue

Although I’ve been working with and building PCs since the early 2000’s, this is the first new motherboard, CPU, and RAM that I’ve bought since 2013 and some things have changed since then. So it’s quite possible that this is something stupid :slight_smile:

I just got a brand new:
AMD 5600x
Asus Prime x570-P (Came with latest bios, 4021)
32Gb G Skill CL16 3600

I’m reusing my Superflower 550w PSU and Asus GTX1660ti

At first I only enabled D.O.C.P and I was able to run and install windows with zero issues. When I started with my VM setups I realized that AMD virtualization was disabled. Simple enough fix, or so I thought…

If I have D.O.C.P and SVM enabled, the board won’t boot normally and will power cycle a couple of times and then show a message of booting in safe mode and forcing me to go into the bios config.

If I disable D.O.C.P then it will boot just fine with SVM enabled and this is how the system is currently running as I use some VMs for work and testing.

I spent about and hour last night trying to see if I’m missing something in the bios settings, but I’m at a loss at this stage.

My PSU only has the 8 pin CPU power connector while the motherboard has the 8 pin and 4 pin ports. Could it be that I need power to the 4 pin as well? From what I read online it should be fine with just the 8 pin and a 5600x?

Maybe I need to setup a custom memory profile?
Any suggestions to what I can try?

Well damn… was google my issue again just now and started reading general DOCP issues and saw someone solved their docp issue by moving their ram sticks from slots A1, B1 to A2, B2. I wasn’t sure which slots I used so powered down the machine and pulled it off the shelf. Sure enough, I used A1, B1. So I moved the sticks over and now it seems OK with DOCP and SVM on at the same time.

Keep in mind that DOCP was working before I tried enabling SVM. So to me DOCP and memory position wasn’t the obvious place to look.

O well, looks like it’s working now. And sure enough, it was something stupid. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

oof, nice catch, mate!

I think BuildZoid(ActuallyHardcoreOverclocking on YouTube) did a video about that - hardware memory topology can really bite you in the butt!

It’s all about signal integrity, reflection, and proper termination - just like in the old days of SCSI, or RAMBUS. :smiley:

Your mobo has 4 DIMM sockets, dual-channel. When you only populate 2 sticks, 2 sockets, you (technically) need to take care of “loose ends” - i’ve never come across a manual that actually explained it properly. You have 2 channels, but 2x2/4 sockets - if you only populate the sockets nearest to the CPU, you’ll (probably, depends…) end up with unpopulated adjacent sockets - loose ends - conductors, sticking out beyond the actual memory module/stick. That’s basically an antenna, emitting/receiving noise on the memory channel/s. There’s also signal reflection on those un-terminated “loose ends”. That’s why you put your DIMM sticks in the far sockets 1st, usually.

Anyone: i’m not an absolutely reliable pro - feel free to “well-actually” me as you see fit. The above is just my interpretation/opinion of “what actually happens”. :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.