Asus Prime X370 Plus & Ryzen 3 2200G APU

Last night I ordered a Asus Prime x370-pro and a Ryzen 3 2200G APU.
This morning i found this report;

Is it true that I can’t update this motherboard without a processor attached?

I don’t have another FM4 available to me and thought it would USB update OK before installing the APU. Tomorrows build could be delayed a fair bit if i need to wait on a ‘boot kit’.

I have this same MoBo but haven’t started pulling the old computer apart for the parts I’m missing from the new system yet. AFAIK, no this one doesn’t flash from USB without a compatible CPU in it. Need to get to BIOS to flash.

The issue lies, of course, in the fact that you can’t update the firmware on a motherboard until a compatible processor is installed, and the shiny new Ryzen chip you’ve just bought isn’t compatible until the firmware update is installed. For that, AMD offers two primary workarounds: asking the retailer to update the motherboard’s firmware, for which the company warns a charge may apply, or borrowing a compatible chip to complete the update.

I take it that neither of the suggestions above in bold would be an option for you?

If/since you are within the return period, perhaps you can get the retailer to update bios for you without any charge(not counting postal fees) and if they refuse just return it?

That’s only on the top end ASUS board, you can Ask AMD for the “BIOS boot kit” thing, whatever that means

But why buy a $150+ board for a $99 CPU?..

@Megalomaniak Thanks for the reply, I’ve not asked around yet but I don’t think i know anyone local with a FM4 chip. The board and chip are arriving tomorrow and I doubt it will be worth the hassle of shipping back to Amazon. So I might have to go with the AMD option.

@Streetguru I had a late night master plan and limited funds :slight_smile: When cash flow allows this chip will go on a mini itx board to upgrade my HTPC. With a Ryzen+ chip being added to this board. The plan has already hit its first hurdle!

I think i will ask the local PC shop to see what they might charge for a bios flash service. I don’t want to pay half the price of the APU though when the AMD route will just test my patience.

Thanks for the replies.

I’m actually running into the same issue having purchased a 2400G for a mITX pc, but I’m in no big hurry so I’m going to ask AMD about that loaner. Seems like a real stand-up service to offer IMO.

The AMD option is likely to be just as much hassle, since it involves them shipping out a loaner chip that you will have to return to them. Perhaps cheaper, if AMD is willing to cover the shipping for some reason, which I doubt.

You were likely better off just getting the ITX board to start, then buying a superior upcoming X470 board for Ryzen+

What a day!

Received my MB, APU & RAM. Nervously put it all together expecting nothing and it went into the BIOS no problem.

The BIOS version installed was 3203, I guessed I’d been lucky and got a fresh board. Then the problems started, the latest Bios 3803 was downloaded and put on USB drive that was formatted to Fat32 but every time I tried it load it in EZ flash 3 it said it wasn’t a BIOS file!

After multiple attempts and frustration rising and thought i would try the online flash option. I wish i hadn’t!
It downloaded and install bar reached the end but then the screen went black and stayed like that for ages. After 20 min I powered the machine down and switched it back on hoping it would be 3803 but i cant see anything, I’m fairly certain the board is bricked!

The RGB on the MB lights up & the fan spins but the USB keyboard doesn’t get power and no signal to the monitor. Not sure what happened but I plugged in a motherboard speaker and i’m not even getting any beeps. After hours of trying ASUS crashfree bios 3 and many permutations of CD recovery and USB recovery it is still not responding.

I raised a support ticket with ASUS and I’ve had enough for one day. Heading to bed very pissed off with ASUS bios update, i should have just left it at BIOS 3203.

1 Like

Do you have anything in any of the PCIe slots? I had this happen with my 1700X on 3201 (I think that was the number, it was “disappeared” from the ASUS website not too long after I flashed it) with a cheapo WiFI/BT card.

It was a compatibility issue.

Did you get it out of the archive ? I had a friend who put the archive on a flashdrive and expected the motherboard to install it somehow.

@Steinwerks I did have anything in the PCIe slot or a HDD attached, i was just wanting to get the BIOS updated before i completed the system.

@anon5644329 I downloaded 3803 from the support page but that wouldn’t install on the USB, so i hooked the motherboard up to the internet and used the ASUS online update function. I have only tried tried CD and USB since the online failure as this is the procedure for ASUS CrashFree Bios 3.

Thanks for the suggestions, I’m back at it today and will update if i get any joy.

When you download it from the site it is an archive that you have to extract and the extracted files are put on a flash drive. That was my question did you extract it before you tried to put it on the flash.

Sorry totally misunderstood, yes i did. I’ve tried many different variables from formatting in Rufus to the renaming the .cap file via BRenamerl to USB 2 & 3, different usb ports because there is no indication in the manual if it is a certain one.

Still no joy :slight_smile:

1 Like