ASUS DUAL RX6700XT OC EDITION & Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS 64-bit

I am trying to install this card and I need the amd CLI, but no matter what I have tried I keep having issues building the AMDgpu-dkms. I’m not sure how to get around this as Ubuntu doesn’t even acknowledge the card is plugged in.

Interesting. What kernel are you on? If not 5.13, Have you tried to install the hwe kernel?

You definitely have the power cables plugged in? Do the fans spin on boot?

Loading new amdgpu-5.6.0.15-1098277 DKMS files…

Building for 5.11.0-46-generic
Building for architecture x86_64
Building initial module for 5.11.0-46-generic
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 5.11.0-46-generic (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/amdgpu/5.6.0.15-1098277/build/make.log for more information.
dpkg: error processing package amdgpu-dkms (–configure):
installed amdgpu-dkms package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 10
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of amdgpu:
amdgpu depends on amdgpu-dkms (= 1:5.6.0.15-1098277); however:
Package amdgpu-dkms is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package amdgpu (–configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
No apport report written because the error message indicates its a followup error from a previous failure.
Errors were encountered while processing:
amdgpu-dkms
amdgpu
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Yes, I have the power cables plugged in and the monitor is plugged into the card and I have video.

Seems like you are running kernel version 5.11, latest LTS kernel is 5.13, try installing linux-generic-hwe:

sudo apt install linux-generic-hwe

Reboot, and see if that does anything for ya.

I Uninstalled the amd-gpu, but this time performed a purge cmd to remove it. I then followed the commands at AMD Radeon™ RX 6700 XT Drivers & Support | AMD /en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-6000-series/amd-radeon-6700-series/amd-radeon-rx-6700-xt and everything is now working as it should for now. thank you for your time. I thnik it was the purge that really cleaned things up.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.