ASUS C6H DOA, found a desoldered component

ASUS Crosshair VI Hero AM4 motherboard, the lights do go on after hitting Start button, but won't post. Turns out a component is desoldered.

The component in question is the square one on the right side of two capacitors. You can't see from this angle but one solder point has broken off and it's not sitting flat on the board. I didn't try manually pressing it down and see if it works...I have a feeling it would, but I don't want to risk it.

Now my question is, since it's missing a corner, I can't really tell the part number for replacement (if my RMA is to be denied). Would you guys be able to tell? A friend of mine suggests it's a power inductor but I really have no idea what it is.

This is at the upper right corner of the motherboard, near Qcode LED:

P.S. it seems like something hit the component in the corner, removing a small piece from it and causing the other side to desolder, but there's no mark or scratches on the capacitor next to it, hmmmmm...

If it's still in warranty, get your RMA pronto before it expires, and let ASUS worry about what they do about the problem.

I'd only break out the soldering iron if I was out of warranty and the fix was simple. Otherwise, I'd sell off what I could of it and just chock it up to shit wearing out. It happens.

It's in warranty of course :slight_smile: I'm just worried if they deny my RMA due to "physical damage", which is nonsense - what kind of builder could damage a motherboard in this way?

There are a couple more below the CPU mount, between that and the PCIx16 port.
The code looks like R11B1 1647, but some quick searches don't bring up anything. Best RMA it as not working on delivery, let them sort it out!
If you can't for what ever reason, try soldering it back onto the board, assuming the tracks are not damaged/lifted. It might still work.

as its DOA - so contact the seller ASAP to replace it

Do you have a Crosshair VI Hero board? So it says R11B1 1647?

Yup, already shipped, fingers crossed :joy:

1 Like

R11B1 1646 on my board.

Probably proprietary since information is limited

1 Like

The 1646/1647 is probably just the date code.

2016 week 46, 2016 week 47.

1 Like

Yeah can't really find anything :frowning:

Looks like TridentZ, even the color is the same with mine! What speed are you running with 4 sticks?

Oh you'd be surprised. I've seen stupid roll all the way back around to genius more than once.

Chances are some guy will just confirm it's dead and send out a replacement.

RMA the board, its an inductor that came off.

1 Like

Its not just an inductor @MisteryAngel its a choke.. A modern choke is not only an inductor to prevent high frequencies but it also has a resistor to dissipate the transients quickly within the circuit.

These grey things are Multilayer chips.. Its a sandwich.. Resistor inductor then resistor again This is how you make a standard Choke. This one is nicely shielded.... 1646 appends the SRF aka the Superconducting radio frequency.. (Its scoped at the factory and its individual to each package) its a value they have been putting on their components since people start LN2 ing their boards.. The reason one would wish to know this is because chokes inherently due have some RF interference generated. The reason your not finding much information on it is because its made by Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corporation.. As for what it is.. id reckon the specific package could POSSIBLY be found on digi key .. its definitely an SMT (Surface Mount) though i find it highly unlikely

As for me geeking out .. sorry I cant help the OP much i hope you RMA

1 Like

64GB's at 3200

Yeah choke i mean, inductor is a bit old fashioned.

hahah I found the component.. BUT uh yeah proprietary... PSSST its just a fancy over spec'd ferrite choke... and by overspecd i mean its way overkill for the application... just the same copper wires wrapped around a super fancy proprietary ferrite alloy... you cant source the component so I really hope it all goes well for the OP

Yeah its from the memory VR.
You could solder it back on basiclly.
But you should just rma the board.

Considering the actual choke is damaged, something hot sat on it at some point, even if it could be resoldered, doubt it will run and may cause issues.

Also recommend avoiding finding a near equivalent and replacing it, Asus while being crap for rma, from my experience will repair things like this for free. I had a FireWire port burn out in the first 2 weeks on my z87-ws. Took them 2 months to get to fixing it but they did after blaming user error

It would cause too many issues.. the success rate with that is low due to the need to keep the same transient response and upper DB point on it for the low pass function it's providing... Lol but this is all mumbo jumbo.. for your basically taking a risk going with a similar component from a donor board

Hmmmm so they fixed the memory frequency issue?