Asrock X670E Taichi - no sensors on Linux

So maybe my board actually does not have the 6779 chip. I’ve never physically verified the chip on the board as I’ve never pulled all the plates off the board to find it.

Asrock at least has the chips listed in the manual.

In my case doing simple module loading worked!

sudo modprobe nct6775

So I’ll add it to modprobe config file for autoload.

Do you think it’s worth it to file a bug for lm-sensors for not detecting it? If it hasn’t been updated in that long, sounds like no one maintains it properly anymore?

I wouldn’t bother. I don’t think lm-sensors has been maintained in over 5 years.

I just force-load the chip id in a nct6775.conf file in /etc/modprobe.d

In your case since modprobe works, I would just add it to modules.conf

[Edit] So the last commit to the lm-sensors Github repo was in Feb 2021. So not quite so bad as I thought.

1 Like

I guess I can still file a bug. In the worst case they’ll never add it. Last commit being even in 2021 isn’t too encouraging.

Yes, take a look at all the issues created since 2021. And no response from any dev on any of them. IMHO it is abandonware.

By the way, since this board also has NCT6686D, I tried loading nct6683 module and it worked (dmesg said that it found the chip), but when running sensors, it’s not showing anything additional to when it’s not loaded.

That second chip is probably for the extra fan that’s on the VRM. It’s practically off anyway if it’s in silent mode, but I was curious to test if detection would work. It didn’t.

Finally was able to update the kernel to 6.5-rc2 and have my Nvidia drivers.

Also now I can load both the nct6775 and asus-ec-sensors modules natively without address kludges and have my correct SIO chip nct6799D show up and finally report all my active fan channels.

So between the two modules and k10temp, I have my full suite of sensors on my Asus X670E Crosshair Hero board and have the correct overview of my running state under BOINC loads.

1 Like

Reported ACPI errors to kernel bug tracker. But I suspect the problem is on Asrock’s side in UEFI, and reaching them is close to impossible - they never responded to my bug reports in the past when contacting their tech support.

The asus-ec-sensors module is still a work in progress. I was getting a race condition with concurrent access by somebody. Working with the developer we managed to use a global mutex lock that stopped the massive spamming of the race condition in the logs. He still needs to figure out what the correct name for the mutex lock on the ACPI tree is. Will eventually push the fix upstream to the HWMON maintainer.

Heads up, I submitted a patch to the nct6683 driver to add this board’s customer ID. Sensors for this chip now show up.

3 Likes

How did you manage to install Linux onto your board? I’m getting a AE_NOT_FOUND error at the very beginning

@whoishoa what distros of Linux did you try to install?

Nice! I just tested it with 6.7 and sensor is loading now for nct6683. But it shows fans all at 0 rpm for it. Is it meant to be used in conjunction with nct6775? I.e. fans readings should come from nct6775 and some additional thermistors (I suppose for VRM?) from nct6683?