Asrock X570d4u, x570d4u-2L2T discussion thread

UPDATE

It works just fine in proxmox. I believe that windows doesn’t have the proper drivers(?) for this yet, and the partedmagic ISO is from 2018 so it likely doesn’t have them either.

Praise OSS

OK, so it semms to be a OS problem, not a Board problem. Did you have installed latest chipset drivers in Windows?

Yes I had all the AMD drivers and stuff installed. The turbo would work until the system uptime hit 1:30, and then it would refuse to turbo till I rebooted it, so my best guess is a power management service on a delayed start, that just doesnt work nicely with this config.

I am running almost the exact same setup as you AffectedArc07 and I found simply running the AMD chipset driver installer when the server is Hyper-V server left out a bunch of drivers needed for the boost speeds to work.

I do the following when building out the Hyper-V OS:
Run the chipset installer this will install some but not all drivers but it creates C:\amd that has all the drivers
Next from command line (with admin) run the following command to install all the amd drivers:
pnputil /add-driver c:\amd*.inf /subdirs /install

Also be sure the power plan is set to high performance but I see you have that part already. Hope this helps. Screen shot is of my 5800x system showing boost speeds from windows admin center.

I finally upgraded an old fX8350 system and just bought all the following:

X570d4u
Ryzen 5600x
KSM32ES8/16ME x2 (32GB ECC)

Somehow my board came with bios 1.00 so I had to update to 1.1 through the BMC, no problem. Uptime so far 1 week with CPU running 100% 24/7 (re-encoding videos), no faults so far. OS is windows 10 AME 20H2 and I only needed to install the X570 chipset package and intel i210 proset drivers to get it fully going.

For those who don’t know, AME edition doesn’t receive any updates at all so this will be a good test to see if the system remains stable.

I set all fans to 100% with the BMC and so far the CPU hasn’t gone above 60c with a Noctua NH-D14, and the x570 chipset hasn’t gone above 50C. Ambient temperature here is 15-18c in the day, and the case is very well ventilated with 9x Akasa Viper fans.

With the stock cooler CPU was reaching 70c, and (alarmingly) 90c with PBO enabled, which at the moment seemingly isn’t worth it as the CPU is running at 4.25 - 4.3GHz all day without, and won’t go above 4.4Ghz with PBO enabled.

Total power consumption according to UPS is around 187w with 10x WD RED 3TB drives not really doing much, although will be a lot higher with PBO enabled.

Overall I’m really happy with this server and I’m pretty much just enjoying it at this point.

1 Like

It appears Asrock screwed us all with RAM overclocking. The voltage setting in BIOS does not do anything, and it does not depend on BIOS version.

Because they used the cheapest available VRM controller for RAM, namely ISL 8121 IRZ which does not support control via I²C.

I managed to persuade it to give more millivolts to DRAM (need to change a resistor near PU25 marking), will test and post results later.

Good thread (and very long!). Been considering this m/board, and read a fair bit of this thread before I pulled the trigger…

I bought it B-Ware (open box but as-new) from a German ecommerce site. However after assembling the server this evening I immediately ran into problems.

The CPU is Ryzen 5950x which is on ARock’s CPU support list. RAM is 4x Kingston KSM32ED8/32ME (ditto). However the BIOS doesn’t post, the LED counter shows “21” and HDMI outputs no signal. So I figured I need to upgrade BIOS for it to support my Ryzen 5950x, and I managed to find the the IPMI web console (the management i/face used DHCP), HOWEVER the page just gives me “Login failed” with the default credentials (admin/admin).

So I’m guessing one of the following:
a) m/board faulty
b) RAM or CPU faulty which triggers weird (incorrect) behaviour in IPMI
c) the default IPMI credentials have been changed by the previous owner (who returned it) to something else

If c is the case, how does one reset IPMI credentials without having to boot…? (which I can’t)

I’ve sent a complaining email back to the vendor as well but I don’t expect to hear from them for a while.

Would appreciate other pointers or ideas in the meanwhile…!

PS just tried removing all RAM sticks, and get exactly the same outcome. So it’s not faulty RAM.

Yes almost certainly option C, as the first thing that happens when you login is that you are prompted to change credentials

That would be extremely irritating in that case. Is there an option to hard reset BMC/BIOS via physical access somehow? That also resets the IPMI settings, not just BIOS.

It should™ work to just take out the battery and pull the plug, wait for a minute or so and maybe press the power button without any actual power to get any residual charge out of the capacitors. That should reset the entire BMC to defaults.

I would recommend to return this board.
I suspect there was a reason it was returned by previous owner. And after resetting credentials you will be faced with a new trouble…

You should really consider another MOBO, this one “supports” 5950x but is specced lower than 5950x requires (VRM-wise). I tried this combo and you either will have to seriously underclock the CPU, or accept spontaneous hangs and freezes because of inadequate VRM and its thermals

Thank you guys. Not what I wanted to hear but very informative!

Unfortunately I am now quite vested in this motherboard, having bought the right type of RAM from the certified list etc - and I don’t think I will be able to return all the parts.

I pulled out the battery this morning so will have a new attempt later this a/noon. If that doesn’t solve my problems I will insist with the reseller that they replace the board for me.

As for cooling, I’m using a well vented uATX case with a couple extra fans so crossing fingers that will suffice…

Nu-uh, it won’t ))

No amount of cooling will help (I used 4×1.8 ampere deltas in a real server case, blows your face away if you stare too close), this board just has bad design.

You ordered in Germany, so I’m assuming you also live in Germany. You have a 14-day return policy by law for anything you buy online (few exceptions apply, this is not one of them) with no reason given whatsoever. Even if they don’t replace it, they will have to take it back.

1 Like

Have you tried a cardboard air-shroud to funnel air through the heatsink?

Unfortunately… unplugged from the wall and left the CMOS battery out all day, then shorted the CMOS reset pad according to manual, put everything back together and… still login failed. So it must be storing authentication credentials in non-volatile memory. Or BMC is just broken.

I don’t have a previous-gen Ryzen to swap in, to try to boot and use ipmicfg to reset BMC. I guess I’ll just have to push the vendor to RMA the motherboard.

1 Like

I live in Sweden, but had to scout around to find this motherboard. Nonetheless the same rules should apply, just a bit more faff with delivery etc (and takes ages). I guess I have to decide promptly if I should give up on the whole project and go through the pains of returning all the parts (including memory, cpu cooler, etc), or stick with it and get the motherboard sorted out, in worst case under warranty.

Edit: looks like Swedish rules won’t let me return the ram sticks as I’ve opened them. So decision made for me… will persist to try to make this work.

1 Like

MOSFETs used in this board have too high Rds(on) and too low maximum current to sustain a 5950x at full load. Even 5900x can not be used to its full potential.