Asrock X570d4u, x570d4u-2L2T discussion thread

If you can grab one from Provantage cheaper, you should - God knows every other component costs more these days IF you can find what you need in stock, that is! Mine from Newegg still took a week to get to me, and has now costs me and extra $50. I guess I could return it and rebuy, but these boards are never guaranteed to be in stock, anywhere! If you need it yesterday, good luck!!!

I might author a longer write-up about my build around this board later when it’s actually complete (I used a Dynatron A24 fan but I’m finding out that it’s not enough in my case, so I have to swap it out), but so far I have been having significant success with using this board for VFIO, passing through an AMD GPU and PCI USB controller, stability-wise.

Also, suspend to RAM appears to work without any fuss (but still seems to sip ~45-50W while sleeping, about 50% of my load during normal use).

To put to bed the question about 40A 12V rails that @Kevin_Hanson brought up:

I used an old Antec Bronze 450W PSU with 18A on the 12V rail. I installed a Ryzen 5 5600X and updated to the beta 1.28 BIOS. Unraid booted up fine without any issues. ECC RAM also read correctly at 3200mhz.

Looking good! Thanks for the update!
How are the X570 Chipset Temp.'s?

Has anyone out there found a good X570 Chipset Fan Solution to attach to this board? (If it needs it?!)

I haven’t found one, but one thing about the chipset is that if you use a full length graphics card, it basically hovers over the heatsink (with like 3mm of clearance) so I’d be interested in other solutions that don’t require mounting to the existing heatsink.

As it stands now it sits at around 66℃ during normal use for me (in silverstone’s GD05 case with stock intake fans, not in a rackmount case).

1 Like

Inspired by this post ASRock X570D4I-2T, I have put a NF-A4x20 on top of the chipset, fixed with two zipties. Temps stay slightly above 40℃ in a Fractal Design Define 7.

I have the same case – What Low Profile CPU cooler are you using? Looks like with the Bay/HDD mount in the Silverstone thqat the CPU cooler is gonna be a tight fit?!

Wait, are you telling me I’m not the only one crazy enough to attempt to design a workstation build around this case? :sweat_smile:

I mentioned in #165 that I’m using a Dynatron A-24, since I thought there’d be enough airflow and all, and I don’t really mind noise if there’s some heavy work being done. I have a 5950x installed, and it hovers around 45-50℃ during regular light use (browsing, subtitling video/watching media). It easily ramps up to 80℃ and has sometimes hit 90℃/6000rpm (but only during benchmark attempts, not actual work like encoding). This isn’t really optimal so I just purchased a Noctua NH-L12S to see how that works, but it might take some time to arrive. A friend of mine suggested that having the fan blow air towards the motherboard might actually help chipset temps as well so we’ll see about that.

Also, the case fans only go up to 1100rpm and I think they don’t actually draw in enough air for my components, so I might attempt swapping them, too.

I thought the exact same thing when you listed the case you are using. I too am going with the 5950X - Gonna either go ESXi or PROXMOX and virtualize EVERYTHING: Blue Iris on Windows for my cameras, pfsense for house wide firewall & intrusion detection, some kind of HTPC VM, and a NAS - Not to mention I’ll be able to just spin up a VM of whatever I want, whenever I want.

I’ve been looking / placing parts, trying to look at with fits / what doesn’t. I wanted the Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4 CPU Cooler, but it’s too tall for the 2nd HDD mount. Maybe the Noctua NH-L9a-AM4? Otherwise, if I’m looking at this right, inside the case the, PSU is already sticking out from the back left side BUT does NOT take up the entire 120mm area, I think there might be just enough room for a 120mm AIO??? Not really excited about putting WATER anywhere near this thing, but, if nothing else that will fix can effectively cool it? IDK? Thoughts???
Also, as for case fans, maybe 3 X Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM fans? They are High RPM / Hig Pressure fans, so…

I’m hoping three of those fans and the shorter Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 CPU cooler will be enough to keep this thing cooled?! Might have to add a Noctua NF-A4x10 or NF-A4x20 PWM fan and attach it to the X570 Chipset heatsink

Are you looking at the case correctly? The HDD mount should be nowhere near the CPU heatsink. It’s in the other half. However, If you are using the ODD bay then yeah, you are limited to 70mm in height for an air cooler.

I’m actually not sure we’re talking about the same case now. Unless there’s a super thin radiator, there is no room on the PSU side of the case for one. And there really isn’t space for one on the motherboard side, either.

That said, it may be possible to insert a radiator on the PSU side if you:

• forgo installing the 3.5" hard drive mounting bracket
  • use a FLEX ATX server PSU, but figuring out mounting will be a concern. This has the added benefit that you can probably get one with PMBus support (and thus possibly monitor power usage via IPMI - compatibility seems to be another concern here).

I was considering Noctua’s industrial fans too and may eventually try the 2000rpm version (3k is probably problematic since it’s sitting in my room, and iirc PWM starts at 50% or something?).

I’m likely going to setup Proxmox as well, since I maintain a project that deals with PVE deployment (so in a sense I’d be dogfooding myself), but it may be months before I do so. Waiting for kernel 5.10 to be released and packaged. (Using Arch as my host currently.)

Sounds good! Hand’t thought too much about the noise issues (yet) with the 3000RPMs - Good point! Let me know how the 2000RPMs do.

Just now finally getting to play with my 2L2T. Its been running about 2 weeks (the joy of the year and getring a borked BMC right off the bat delayed me messing with mine), but with a 3700x, 64gb ram, qu, adro p2000, 10g with ssds etc, the mobo temps have remained 50C at most and CPU got up to 65C during literal days of transcoding. 2 ippc 3000, 2. 40mm noctuas and the suoer small noctua cpu cooler can’t think of the size, but whatever the smallest am4 cpu cooler they make, that one.

1 Like

Thanks for the info – Very helpful!
Are you running it bare metal, or running a hypervisor, if so, which?

So, everything has been running great with my Ryzen 5 5600X, 2 x 16GB ECC KSM32ES8/16ME (on QVL), and X570D4U-2L2T…but

I’ve recently come across information though that says it’s generally preferred to have dual rank memory for Ryzen. These two KSM32ES8/16ME are single rank at 3200 mhz. If I were to get two more sticks, I’d be using the full bandwidth. But with only two sticks, I’m leaving some performance on the table. I’m sure that 32GB of RAM will probably be more than enough for me with running lots of docker containers and handling transcoding.

Would it be worth the extra performance to submit a RMA to Provantage and get two KSM32ED8/16ME’s (dual rank version) instead? They cost almost exactly the same but they’re not on the QVL (although the 2666 mhz version (KSM26ED8/16ME) is).

I like that they’re working well but I’m worried that I’m not fully getting my money’s worth with this RAM. Any thoughts?

Depends on if you are in a rush… Newegg takes forever to receive, verify & return your money. If that’s not an issue, I’d exchange them - I was looking at a 3950X yesterday - It’s gone up $60 in cost on both AMAZON and NEWEGG in the past 24 hours - I say that to say this: With the world the way it is right now, if the price is okay-ish, it’s probably better to get what you WANT while you can! Might not be as many choices in the near future? Or, they might be a lot more expensive. WHo knows these days!!!

It was through Provantage, so I’m going to check with them tomorrow on how fast the process usually takes. This will go in my main UnRAID server but the backup can keep chugging along for another month if need be.

I figured the dual rank will be faster and for the same price, so unless they make me pay an exorbitant restocking fee, it’s not that bad of a penalty for just shipping a couple of sticks of RAM. Since the KSM32ED8/32ME and KSM26ED8/16ME are already on the QVL, the KSM32ED8/16ME should work fine. They’re all Kingston RAM made from the Micron E-Die.

Samsung’s M391A4G43AB1-CVFQ seems to be on this board’s Memory QVL, but the nearest matching model number I can find information about is M391A4G43AB1-CVF. I think it’s the same product given the specs (32GB 2933MHz ECC), but on Samsung’s website it seems to be marked as a sample (not in production).

However, it does seem to be listed at Memory.net (where I’m already a customer) as quotable, but I still haven’t been given any quotes after almost a month. Has anyone been able to purchase that model of RAM, or even the 3200MHz version (M391A4G43AB1-CWE) of it? If it’s not actually available yet, think it’s worth waiting for over the Kingston or Crucial options?

I see no reason to hold out when Kingston KSM32ED8/32ME RAM is available in a number of stores right now.

FYI: Both variants are in stock at Newegg as of this writing. Base is $359.99 + $8.75 shipping, 10GBe @ $439 .99 + free shipping and says on sale but doesn’t seem to be discounted.