Asrock X570d4u, x570d4u-2L2T discussion thread

Whew, they were back in stock and sold out before I could even post a heads up. Managed to snag the 2L2T.

Yeah, I couldn’t even get it in the cart before it sold out. I’m thinking I might just wait till it shows up on Provantage or Amazon in a month or two. Apparently, it’s just too hot of an item right now. I couldn’t even do my build anytime soon because the Ryzen 5 5600X is just as elusive.

Once you get the 5900X, can you let us know if it boots without needing the BIOS update right away? I’m interested to see if there is anything special I’ll need to do to get a 5600X up and running. I know the Beta BIOS is out but I’m not sure if the CPU needs to be the in socket so you can update the BIOS.

Will do, I thought I had seen a review that said via the IPMI you can update the bios without a cpu installed. Let me see if I can find that review or worst case I will try and load the beta bios on mine since all the 5X00X chips are hard to come by right now…

1 Like

I would appreciate your effort.

I managed to buy both a X570D4U-2L2T from sona here in Germany and a 5900x (from mindfactory):
I just installed all the parts, plugged it in and the IPMI came up. I directly flashed the beta bios without trying whether it boots with the old bios. Now it is running fine with the Ryzen 5900x.

I have the Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4 Special Edition for AM4 which can be installed in all rotations (it comes with short and long mounting brackets and I installed it blowing parallel to the memory modules .

It sits rather close above the Kingston Server Premier memory modules. So far I have only occupied the blue slots so there is some space and I am not sure whether the white slots can be used with this heatsink. (Probably yes, but the modules should definitely not be larger than the Kingston modules)

9 Likes

Finally nabbed a 5600X off Amazon so all I need is some RAM and this motherboard!

Thanks for letting us know that it’ll at least let you update to the beta BIOS with a 5000 series CPU installed!

B&H has it up for Pre-Order on their website now: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1606749-REG/asrock_x570d4u_2l2t_amd_ryzen_micro_atx.html

Not sure if I should wait for it to come back in stock on Newegg or pay about $50 less when it comes back to Provantage.

Hey everyone, I was eyeing this board for quite a while but was confused between this and x470d4u. The x470d4u is at 200 USD with a discount and I can get 10g on it using cheap Mellanox used card. Any advantage of 10gbaseT that I’m not aware of? 10g base t looks pricey. I will anyways need to use a 10gbaseT transceiver which will raise the price of my setup. My use case is homelabbing and nothing more. I want to future proof my purchase but at this price difference, I’m very confused.

The ram clearance issues on the X470 is what drove me towards the X570 version. Regarding the 10gbaseT question I think it is completely down to preference and availability.

Just got another from Newegg…

The stars aligned and I actually had the time to purchase it while it was still in stock. I know i could have waited another month and paid about $40-$50 less on Provantage, but it’s my birthday and I took it as a sign.

It will be matched up with my 5600X (which should be arriving in about 3 weeks), a GTX 1660TI, and 2 sticks of 16GB ECC RAM!

Can’t Believe It - I just got one on Newegg! Just happened to hit refresh & BOOM - It’ll be here in less than a week! Already have a 128GB-3200 Kit for it. Now I just need the new 5000 series CPUs to be in stock … Will be using a 3600X to start testing different hypervisors - Should be fun!!!

1 Like

I’m already running the ASPEED chip and a 3700X on one.
Plan on getting the Cezanne 5000 Octacore w/ the Vega GFX for this one.

These ASRock boards are really good.

Still running an H97 and a Z97 from ASRockRack from years ago.

2 Likes

That’s great ! I have a few questions :smile:

So if I understand correctly you upgraded the BIOS via IPMI with the 5900x plugged in (and so not supported by the installed bios) ?

Great you found that the SE-AM4 edition of the NH-D15 fits in the “correct” orientation.
If possible, could you post a few pics (wrt space for memory modules and first pcie slot for example) ?
Is the NH-D15 helpful to cool down surrounding heatsinks (chipset, 10Gb nic) ?

Exactly. I did not try to boot the system before upgrading the BIOS, the IPMI came up automatically after switching on the power supply.

Straight down view to the PCIe slot, it seems free but the card should not really have anything larger on the top side:

Really hard to see the distances:

Since I opened it up for the pics I also did some measurements for the clearance:
The distance from the top of the bottom module to the heatpipe is about 15mm (measured straight along the tops of the memory modules). So another module between the bottom one and the heatpipe should fit easily. (The spacing between the slots is 8mm. The two memory modules in the blue slots which I have installed are 16mm apart)
I might try to move the modules to the white slots for testing but not right now.

It does not seem to help for the chipset which got quite hot (around 70 degrees celsius in idle) until I put that 12cm fan in front. I ordered a smaller one that I will try to attach the the heatsink.

The “Onboard LAN” is at 40 degrees celsius right now but I can’t put any real load on it yet. So it might work to some extent there but I can’t really say.

CPU is at 30 in idle and goes up to about 75 under full load.

2 Likes

Cooling the chipset properly seems like it is going to be an issue with this board. This is the second comment/review I have seen that mentioned the lack of a fan on the chipset as a problem.

I was also a little bit worried about the heat/cooling. After seeing a detailed video of der8auer about the power consumption and the cooling solutions of the X570 chipset, I was reassured. I believe Asrock took a brave decision with its passive heatsink, better than some cheap small noisy fan, no?

I preordered the board at my retailer in NL. Expecting it next week. I am going to combine it with the 5600X or 5800X and cool it with the suggested Noctua NH-U9S.

Note: My first contribution at L1. I am not able to paste a link to a youtube video apparently.

I would say its quite standard practice on server boards. the expectation is that you have an array of powerful hot-swappable fans forcing the air through the chassis. Most server CPUs use passive heat-sinks for this reason (maybe with an air shroud)

1 Like

A little bit more context in regard to this board:

Quote from that article:

As part of my testing, I once again verified that without airflow over the chipset heatsink, the system is unstable under load. A simple low-RPM 80mm fan pointed in the general direction of the chipset heatsink easily remedied this problem, but it is still a design consideration that end users will need to be aware of.

So yeah, the fan is necessary, Asrock simply assumes you have one in your chassis

1 Like

As do most server motherboards.