ASRock X370 TaiChi Motherboard Review- Ryzen | Level One Techs

Probably not a corupt file, more it worked on test boards at Asrock, but not all in the wild, natural differences in parts supply voltages etc. Edit: to add..

Or could be bad code just got out by mistake.

Thanks for the info @rustynut and @mihawk90. Still undecided, one board is unavailable (Taichi), while I could have the other in about two days :-D

Only you can say, I'm going to wait for an Asrock only because they do put out BIOS updates and the ASUS web site I cant never connect to (Perhaps I have to register a product) it puts me off.

I'm undecided between Asrock fatal1ty x370 K4 or TaiChi, I know not comparable but cost is a big difference and I'm not a hardcore over clocker. First world problems.

In the scheme of things it will soon come round, give them time to sort some more optimization and bugs out hopefully.

I do feel for you as I'm impatient to do a new build as well, its been a long time since I have had a new PC.

Edit to add:.. Had a Ryzen 1700 sitting here for best part of two week, pre ordered withe the Ryzen fever..

Considering AM4 is planned to be used until 2020 or longer the boards are bound to be around for some time, so I don't doubt there are going to be more or less regular updates.

It's perfectly normal for a new platform.

Yes that makes a board investment on the better skus and VRMs etc harder, as a possible CPU upgade with more power a possibilty in the future to consider, but with me it seems to be CPU, RAM, Board all needed at once to get, so will hope Ryzen will be fine for me for the life of this generation of boards.

Sorry if thats a bit confusing as do not know the future, have to build for today I guess.

Interesting, I don't any have any problems with connecting to their site, without having a product registered.

I have my Ryzen CPU too :-D

I also found this interesting VRM table, it's in german but it's mostly numbers anyway.
https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f12/am4-mainboard-vrm-liste-1155146.html

In the end the author concludes that ASUS and ASRock are probably equal in terms of VRM and that Gigabyte is pretty decent. MSI uses the worst VRMs out of the compared 5.

It's probably all my No script and blocking settings. But Asrock do not send my browsing all over the place so I feel better about them :)

" also found this interesting VRM table, it's in german but it's mostly numbers anyway."

Thanks will have a look.

I found this with VRM talk. http://www.overclock.net/t/1624051/vrm-on-the-new-am4-motherboards

I'm just going to run stock untill more is known and BIOs are more mature

I know I should wait but, if I buy a decent board it will get updates and "should" be ok for me.

I'm not expecting high overclocks and would rather run at the bit just before the power consumption / heat generated starts to clime.

I probably wait till a few reviews are out from users of the Asrock boards unless the fever gets to me again :)

Hmm which particular board are you refering to here?
unless the bios version was flawed in a way that it overvolted the cpu massively.

The Crosshair VI Hero did that; it was designed wron with the stock BIOS so that if you so much as touched the volt settings it basically would fry the board.
Sooo yeahhhhh that was a thing. Bios update fixed those problems though

1 Like

I was refering to the ASUS Crosshair VI:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5xn51g/my_asus_crosshair_vi_hero_got_bricked/

1 Like

Well yeah, Asus has had a similar issue is the past with certain X99 boards,
like the Deluxe and the Sabertooth in particular.
There was one particular bios that had a voltage bug in it, that could fry cpu´s.

2 Likes

Smokes... That must mean something other than what I thought it meant. How I see things.

Sky/Kaby lake.

Plus points.
Slightly faster performance per core.
less headaches when choosing a board and memory.

Negative points.
EOL sockets.
Not much faster than the other Intel CPU that usually cost less.
4 cores.
No CPU upgrades.
Price.

Ryzen.

Plus points.
8 cores.
Brand new socket. Should see you good for upgrades over 5 years.
Great price.
AM4 offers everything the X, Z and C Intel chipsets do rolled into one.
2-8 core CPU's and APU's with integrated graphics that might actually be useful.
Unified AM4 socket.

Negative points.
Might be a bit of a PITA picking a board and memory.
Not a great deal of overclocking head room.

I'm going with AM4 and Ryzen.

It's a great looking board, the single bios makes me hesitate though.

I have had an ASRock bios update fail on Z170 within the last year, without power failure or anything. It completed, then went into a never ending boot loop. Recovery was simple, as I just hit the switch & copied the 2nd bios back.

Not having that option kind of sucks, especially when it is a feature of the Z270 version of the Taichi (That and dual LAN).

1 Like

Official VRM specification for the X370 Taichi and Professional gaming.

• PWM: IR35201 6+2 phase mode, 6 phases doubled to 12 phases for VCC.
    And 2 phases being doubled to 4 for soc voltage.
    Using IR3598 phase doubler / driver.

• Mosfets / Powerstages: Texas instruments Ti nexfet CSD87350Q5D.
    Which are rated for 25A at 90% efficiency and 40A max.

• Inductors: 60A Blackwing.

• Output capacitors: 12K FP

Memory VRM:

• PWM: UP1674 2 phases.
  • Mosfets: Same Ti nexfets CSD87350 as for Vcore and Soc.

B-clock generator: ICS9VRS4883BKLF

2 Likes

I managed to order a Taichi (a non X99 one :-D) and I should get it after the weekend. Personally I'd have prefered earlier, but well, I'm already used to waiting.
I could have ordered the Professional Fatality since it would have arrived earlier, but it's 50€ more expensive and comes with features I don't really need (TPM header, 5G).

1 Like

Not too fond of the audio drivers for this mb. The supplied audio drivers from Asrock have been causing audio stutters and level changes. Best to stick with whatever drivers windows supplies with is very basic. May slap my Xonar dx in this rig.

Actually no. As far as I read the issue was not in the BIOS itself, but in the update procedure of the update files. The update procedure would somehow put too much voltage through one of the VRMs, frying the board. It didn't happen with every board and update (obviously), but once the BIOS was on there you were basically safe.

Pitty, would have preferred to use the onboard one.

It is actually cleanest sounding mb sound I have ever heard when it works rights. The Asrock sound drivers are just buggy. Just the normal realtek nonsense.

Ah good to know, aren't there 3rd party realtek drivers?