ASRock X370 TaiChi Motherboard Review- Ryzen | Level One Techs

Yeah it runs hotter, but that basiclly depends on what mosfets they have used.
IR powerstages or Ti nexfets have a very decent efficiency traditionally.
Even at temperatures above 120°C.
But those you will mostlly only find on the semi to higherend boards.
With cheaper boards you often find lower quality fets that have a good rating untill a certain temperature, then they often start to degrade in efficiency pretty quicklly wenn passing said temparature rating.
Next to that with 4+2 it basiclly has less phases, so those will allready run warmer from the get go.
So yeah thats less efficient basiclly.
However for a general user they would probablly not really notice much of that.
And its still a matter of how high the cpu will overclock in the end.
But diehard overclockers and tweakers will probablly notice the diffrence.

Anyways yeah 3.8 to 3.9 is indeed pretty suprising for a board like that.

I appreciate they are, have been in a tight spot so I think you are correct, They are fighting for their place and I'm just a bit uptight as I want my toys..

I'm supprised they have come back with such a good processor, with its server potential and retail offerings its a great return,

The motherboard shortage here must be stunting sales a bit at the moment I'm sure its only a glitch.

What I'm looking for basically, is a board with a high longetivity since I don't see myself upgrading my CPU to soon. That being said, I think upgrading AM4 is easier than upgrading Intel based CPUs since Intel likes to switch sockets.

My Taichi made it in today. I guess i have work to do. First : read manual look for variations.

2 Likes

I understand your reasoning but an AM4 socket means nothing if Ryzen is a flash in the pan. If they can carry on with generational development and improvement that includes more than just throwing extra cores at the problem, then your reasoning is sound. Having said that, I am assuming that Ryzen is sound in the first place and the teething issues will be resolved. With only two weeks in to an entirely new, untested platform, it is still a risk

If a new rig is a big investment for you, a month or six weeks is not a long time to wait and see what happens. Gives you more time to save money away and Bioses will have settled so BCLK chips may not be as relevant. The R5 chips will be out by then and may be a better choice for your needs too. Options are a wonderful thing

2 Likes

I was kinda worried about the x370 chipset but it turns out the io built into Ryzen is amazing. Consider total package z270 and z270 is destroyed. Ok what about 40 pcie lanes. That's tougher but hypothetical:

Imagine an hypothetical x390 chipset that uses all 8 pcie lanes. Two m.2 through there along with other pcie3.0 lanes. Bam! That's way better than the shared x4 of z270 without being as complex as 40 pcie lanes. That hypothetical chipset better bridges the prosumer between Ryzen and Naples imho and I would bet will be the gen2 am4 chipset.

2 Likes

My Taichi basically booted right off. I did throw me a memory error. I had to remove a stick but it is literally still being built upon. I have yet to go through the bios. Fedora 25

1 Like

That's true, but I'm willing to take the risk since I've a Ryzen CPU waiting on my desk right now.
What I meant earlier when I mentioned "longetivity" I actually meant the durability of the board too. Since premium boards also use more premium components I think they should outlast non premium board (although I'm quite certain that experiences may vary).

Update UEFI before doing anything :D

2 Likes

I think that maybe I got confused when I replied to you. I had been replying to Rustynut. Sorry

I Agree that you get what you pay for, to a point. The Asrock Tai Chi and Gaming Professional are basically the same board. the Professoinal gets an extra 5GB Nic that may or may bit be a benefit and a paintjob. For me, RGB leds are probably the most pointless "value" adds

Quick question:
Last time i updated UEFI (BIOS at the time), I did it on Gigabyte board, using @bios software... No matter. The question is, have the other brands, especially Asrock, caught up to that, and have they made an UEFI update easy?
It's kinda on topic, cause I'm buying Asrock AM4 board (not taichi, but still)...

Asrock has an update feuture right within the UEFI.
And that should work fine as far as i know.
The only thing you need is a internet connection of course.
Most brands have that now days.

1 Like

All the cool bioses are beta so not Autodetected but latest stable will dl fine

2 Likes

I decided to avoid the betas and just wait. I have had my fill of beta testing :)

I do a lot of photo and video. Think that 64Gb of the G. Skill or Kingston would run ok in this board? I like to overkill on ram when possible and it's possible for me to max the board out at this time.

I'm a little torn right now, since the Taichi seems to be a pretty nice board, but it is still not available in Europe. I've seen it in Amazon's marketplace, but as it's price is at 400€ right now it is a little to high for my place.
ASUS and MSI boards are available though and ASUS has apparently fixed the brick-issue.

Also, is ASRock the only company that specifically states that unfortunate events during a BIOS update are not covered by warranty? Does this mean that ASRock wouldn't have accepted RMAs of bricked boards like ASUS did (Crosshair VI), or did get something wrong?

We just have to wait for stock, I know how you feel. I'm resigned to wait now, could be a week or two I hope.

Buy from reputable vendor so if its not what you want or is flaky you can return it.

Chances are unless a power failure the BIOS updates will go OK. as long as your board is in good condition to start with. If you are getting strange behavior I would contact their tech support and see what they say before jumping on a BIOS flash with a bad board.

Denying RMA for a bad flash its hard to prove its not your fault, bad flash drive used, bad psu etc power loss whatever.

I think if using a usb flash drive to install it good to check the hash of the BIOS file before use if possible at least compare to the download size copy back to PC to make sure its readable before you start the flash process. power off the USB drive and the PC to make sure your not reading from a cache or something like that is a good idea as well.

1 Like

The issue with the Asus boards was that they were getting bricked even though the flash went perfectly fine. The BIOS flash causes one of the VRMs to pop so the Board was basically dead after that.

It could happen with flashing any of the non-latest BIOSes, the latest BIOS fixed that issue and it doesn't brick on flash-time anymore.

1 Like

I'm not following all the ups and downs at the moment, if thats the case I would expect Asrock to put it right, I think they would be good about it as its their quality and testing to blame.

Imo in this case even Asrock would need to accept RMAs. I didn't read the RMA guidelines, but I would guess they are referring to user error when updating. However a corrupt flash file is hardly user error :)