Asrock Taichi x570 iommu and passthough

I want to buy the Taichi X570 and run a ryzen 3950X with 4 16 MB 14 ns DDR 3600 (64 GB of ram because of T-Topology) and 2 RTX 3080 graphic cards.

My question is how are the MMU groupings? I want to run Linux with a Windows 10 libvirt KVM with passthoughs for a SATA controller, usb (pci card) and Graphics card.

Has anyone worked with this situation?

Fossilized-Gamer

The Retail version of the Taichi x570 is daisy chain. https://www.youtube.com/post/UgwjG8OxnKAGLMUVyQB4AaABCQ

Still doesn’t mean much. Buildzoid successfully overclocked different 4x8 or 2x8+2x16 configurations on various “known” daisy chain motherboards from MSI or Gigabyte.

There seem to be a lot of IOMMU groups on the x570 chipset:

That is great news! I only thought it was T-Topology because I was looking at the traces on the back of the motherboard. They looked like T-Top. Servs me right that I didn’t just look at the manual😃!

Maybe I need to look at 32 x 2 RAM. But the Taichi CVL for RAM is rather sparse.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out!

If the x570 layout is similar to the x470 taichi ultimate layout then:

1. A few of the USB ports will be tied to the CPU and can be passed through without issues
  2. The two PCIe 16x slots tied to the CPU are the ones eligible for passthrough to a VM without an ACS patch of some kind (bit fuzzy on this)
  3. Onboard SATA controllers have issues being passed through. It’d be better to pass through an M.2 PCIe drive thats tied to the CPU instead of anything tied to the SATA controllers

This is a beginners question. Do items for pass through have to be tied to the CPU? Can’t any pci device on any mmu be passed?

I hope this was not a really dumb question. :grimacing:

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.