ASRock Rack has created the first AM4 socket server boards, X470D4U, X470D4U2-2T

Same issue, stuck at 0.52GHZ all cores in windows. I’m working on the solution now. This explains why ESXI was so slow.

Yes but ESXI was also slow, so it was happening all the time.

There’s a setting in the IPMI to disable this but I cannot uncheck the box. I just an email to support to see what’s up.

Well damn that sounds like a bad board. This isn’t an issue I ran into at all. I’m running BIOS 1.50.

Well if it’s not heat, and assuming the board isn’t doing anything that’d require RMAing it, it’s probably current/voltage related. Mabye try upping the C-State to level 3 instead of Auto or Level 5?

When getting a new platform/motherboard I usually test Windows first since that’s where I have the most experience, then other OSes.

Sometimes the issue is immediately after power on, sometimes after a reboot - until then I can get the expected 4+ GHz allcore frequency and corresponding performance numbers.

I probably wait until I can check the board with a 3700X before RMA-ing :-/

A little suspicious:

The UEFI update 1.50 states “Enhance the sensors temperature reading” as a change ( https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X470D4U#Download )

What cpu are you using?

Both abav and myself are running a gen 2 ryzen.

Has anyone taken a look at how the IOMMU groups are setup on this mobo? I’m looking at it for a home virtual lab. I may need to do some IOMMU passthru. Are they sane or stupid like the original Ryzen mobos?

Ryzen 7 1700 with Kingston UDIMMS (4x8GB-2400)

1 Like

Your board is borked (so is mine). For some reason the CPU or the board is registering a PROC HOT signal even though it shouldn’t be generated. Other people on reddit have had a similar issue (with other mobos) and RMAing the board worked. If you want to manually enable full performance download Ryzen Master and disable PROC HOT in the settings. Bam full clock speed. Obviously this isn’t going to run on top of ESXI.

I’m already been talking with ASRock, they’re going to try to recreate the problem if they cannot I guess they’re going to RMA the board.

bah sucks. I had really high hopes for the board.

1 Like

Thanks for the update!

I tried installing the latest Windows version from a different setup media (the first ISO was created by Microsoft’s media creation tool, now I installed it from the larger ISO file you can download from Microsoft directly if you visit their website with a browser where the user agent is set to something other than Windows).

So far CPU_PROCHOT has not been triggered however there is a new entry that has never been there before:

Bugcheck code OEM Event Record - Asserted/Deasserted

No idea what this means but so far I haven’t seen any throttling. Nothing hardware- or UEFI-wise has been changed compared to the previous test runs.

Damn, just as I was typing my previous posting.

Lol. Yeah I installed it from the ISO too. It’s likely hardware or firmware/BIOS related. My CPU temperature reading comes in and out. I think there’s logic in the code that if the signal isn’t a certain quality or if it’s not received in a consistent manner it triggers that state as a fail safe.

I’ll let you know what ASRock says.

According to DHL my 3700X is to arrive tomorrow, looking forward to check if that bug/issue is also appearing then.

An X570 Taichi should also arrive soon, then I’ll be able to check if the 2600X used so far is maybe defective (what I doubt).

1 Like

Def let me know! Ive gone through all the troubleshooting steps but to no avail. Support had a few ideas but they didn’t work either. Bahh

Just out of curiosity: What were these ideas?

Can you verify that VMware ESXi 6.5U3 or 6.7U2 boots with the Ryzen 3700x? Haven’t been able to find any info and I don’t get my 3700x til next Monday/Tuesday :stuck_out_tongue:

Curious are you guys still advising this board or not?
Also the sweet spot on memory speed is ddr4 3733 for performance.
Would one recommend ECC or faster Ram for a home server?

I should have gotten one back when the price was reasonable…

The price on newegg has almost doubled since last time it was in stock.

damn

3 Likes

Reflash the BMC firmware
Reseat the CPU and check the pins for foreign material
Strip down the system to the bare minimum and boot it
Clear the BIOS
Disable PROC HOT in the BMC settings

None of the above have worked. State still asserted.