ASRock Rack has created the first AM4 socket server boards, X470D4U, X470D4U2-2T

ditto

I downloaded it earlier, but havent updated yet either… dont wanna mess with my uptime and power everything down without a good reason.

Good question.
I’ve 2 boards, both are running rock solid with 3600 and 64GB 2400 ECC ram.

1 Like

Have you seen any difference between 1.90 ?

This is dependent on usecase and assumes willingness to convert m.2 to PCIe slots, but according to their block diagrams:

x570d4u gets 8x8x4x PCIe4 off the CPU, and 4x+1x PCIe4 off the chipset; plus eight proper SATA ports.
x470d4u gets 8x8x4x PCIe3 off the CPU, and 2x PCIe3 and 4x PCIe2.0 off the chipset; plus six proper SATA and two from an Asmedia controller.

So x470d4u has one more lane but in practice I expect the x570d4u to be more useful if you want to load it up, especially if the CPU-chipset bandwidth comes into play. That said, given my experiences with both I wouldn’t load up either given compatibility issues. So ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also this is beating a dead horse, but AsRock Rack should make ATX variants with more PCIe slots plus test with a reasonable range of PCIe devices. mATX isn’t a thing in data centers and they could undermine ASUS’s terrible and overpriced Pro WS X570-Ace board. Both the x470d4u and x570d4u feel like talented gymnasts that just can’t stick the landing.

For any RAM hungry users, I should mention that I’m running x470d4u with two sticks of KSM32ED8/32ME (32gb ECC 3200 RAM) without any issue so far without. Passed MemTest86, plus no stability issues with a couple weeks worth of normal operation. CPU is a Ryzen 3 3100, which isn’t on the QVL but works perfectly fine - no surprise. Might get two more sticks to be maxed out once I figure out which hilariously overkill cooler best fits the RAM slots.

Question, how’s the IPMI for updating BIOS / BMC firmware?

I’m on 1.50 firmware & P1.50 BIOS, yeah haven’t updated since I got the board a few years ago. I’ve been having random hangs on boot every so often and the IPMI remote control shows “no signal” quite a lot as well, very annoying. Wondering if I should update everything and see if that fixes it.

Not sure about the hangs. For the no signal issue, change the BIOS settings for the on board graphics from Auto to Enable. Thats how I fixed my issue as I have a graphics card installed on my board.

With Auto settings toggled, it will disable the on board graphics and try to use your graphics card which didn’t work with IPMI.

One more question - looking to expand my ram on X470D4u. Currently I run my server with KSM26ED8/16ME 16GB ECC Kingston memory (2x 16GB). I want to expand with 64GB. The only option is Samsung memory. I cannot find M391A4G43MB1-CTDQ anywhere in my region, but I can easily buy M391A4G43MB1-CTD (without the Q in the end)…

Thanks!

They make ATX motherboards for the threadripper platform… Problem is that the consumer platforms don’t really have enough lanes to really make ATX worthwhile - see the new b550 motherboard with hardly any expansion slots.

At least with matx they cover both bases, nothing stopping people using them in full ATX cases, that’s what I am doing - suitable cooler availability for the 3950x made it pretty much a necessity anyway.

Bit late for the poster above but I’m running two x470d4u motherboards with a pair of intel 660p 512gb ssds in raid 1 using the onboard raid, can’t recall any issues detecting/setting up.

I did have a bad ram stick that stopped the system posting at all but once I identified that it’s been plain sailing.

@Ruklaw
I have to strongly disagree about the consumer lane counts on ATX mobos.

It is possible to design significantly more flexible board with X570 then it is being done now. Aspecially when all the possible 7 slots can be utilized.

As an example from the top of my head:
we start with 24 CPU and 16 chipset lanes (x570)

• 4x on both go the the interconnect,
    we are left with 20/12
  • 4 cpu lanes go to m.2 or 10gb
    we are left with 16/12
  • 16 cpu lanes go to 4 physical slots - 1 16x, 1 8x, 2 4x
    those slots are all usable and would be bifurcated into 16,0,0,0 / 8,8,0,0 / 8,0,4,4 / 0,8,4,4 / 4,4,4,4 depending on the setting/what is slotted-in. This would give extreme flexibility for juggling various gpu/hba/networking/m.2-risers/usb-controller/etc. configurations.
    we are left with 0/12 lanes
  • add one or two m.2 slots
  • use 2-3 lanes for physical pcie 1x slots for some low bandwidth controllers
  • spend the rest on builtin ethernet/sata/usb

And we end with 6-7 slot ATX board that actually makes sense.

Then there is even more possibility when lanes can be switched between different features - for example trade 2 sata slots for a PCIE slot, etc.
There is a lot that can be done.

The problem with this is that this kind of ‘flexible’ layout and lots of pcie slots is simply harder to get right, will probably require more pcb layers and lots of configurations to test/write bios support for.

This is the thing though, almost anything is possible in an ideal world but what is actually available, and can be done economically and reliably becomes much more difficult. And any time there is a compromise involved the users are going to moan or decide the solution is inadequate (like the M2 slots in the x470d4u…)

In theory you only need 1x pcie 3 lane to do 10gb networking (near enough anyway) but in practice you can’t get a 10gb NIC that demands less than four lanes, plenty want 8…

You can stick in a load of extra 1x slots to pad out the board to ATX, but just what is a typical end user actually going to put in those slots?

And wouldn’t a typical end user be better using usb for those tasks? Just on the off chance they want to use that device on a laptop one day?

About the only reason ATX makes sense nowadays is because most graphics cards worth having need two slots (three if they are getting room to breathe… )

Don’t get me wrong, I would like the motherboard you are proposing, but it looks pretty lean compared to the threadripper boards -
https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X399D8A-2T#Specifications

I was gutted when they changed the threadripper socket as it would have been awesome to have third gen as an upgrade path… And now with threadripper pro seems they are changing it again.

Really though wouldn’t it be nice if AMD made dash features standard, and ryzen pro available everywhere so that you didn’t need special boards for remote management… I can dream! I had a look at an Intel build recently, the motherboard with q470 and vpro support was £100 more :frowning:

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s not really something that could be finantially viable in a real world - too much flexibility essentially means that there will be much cheaper alternatives for those that need only a small subset of features. (gaming for example)
Any normal user that just wants to put a big 3 slot gpu and a m.2 n in wouldn’t really be a target audience.

Asrock rack PAUL card is supposed to become available in Q1 of 2021 so we may be able to add remote managment for much wider selection of consumer boards. Be it AM4 or TR(X)4.

1 Like

If anyone is interested, X470D4U is back at $200 on Newegg with the promo coupon.

Just cancelled my Amazon Warehouse order and bought it new instead. $20 extra for a full warranty is a little nicer. This paired with a Ryzen 7 2700 is going to make for a nice Backup/VM UnRAID server!

wasnt the normal price originally under $160?

$260…it’s never been on sale for anything below $200 as far as I know

1 Like

Thanks, setting it to Enable worked. Weird seeing I don’t have a GPU but I guess on Auto it looks for one.

Updated the BMC & BIOS from IPMI just before, worked perfect. I was a little worried it might screw up but 20 mins later both are done and the server is back up and running :sunglasses: .

Did anyone try GPU pass-through with the new 3.50 BIOS?
It wasn’t working with 3.30

Yeah vfio working fine here, on 3.50 centos stream host.

1 Like

Got bios 3.30 and GPU pass through works excellent on proxmox (debian) host. Be it on ancient (r290x) gpu. looking forward to buy something modern as soon as scammers stop buying all the gpu stock out there and resell it at abysmal prices :smiley:

i cant believe the price was 199 on newegg when I looked yesterday…just wow