ASRock Rack has created the first AM4 socket server boards, X470D4U, X470D4U2-2T

Ive been running two x470d4u systems for home servers.

Once for about 11 months, the other for about 7 months.

Been running great.

Its not a sure thing. Mine I gave a Ryzen 7 1800x (1st gen) and RAM from the official supported list, and I had to tweak BIOS settings to get unRAID to run stable (search way up above in this thread for more on that). If I was to build another server, I would make it an epyc even though that is more expensive, just to get a better supported platform.

At this point Iā€™ve tried everything including changing the CPU to a Ryzen 5 2700X.

Nothing seem to work and I can only conclude that the board has failed.

I want to mention that the ASUS HYPER M.2 X16 CARD V2 Bifurcation card works with the X470D4U2-2T.
As long as you leave the x8 slot unoccupied(it will switch to x0 but leaving a card in there caused issues here).
Tested with x2 Sam970Pro512G, each 3600/600MB/s @1024Mx10 samples.
Bios: PCIe x4x4x4x4 + IOMMU enabled

Now I just need to find a PCIe riser card for my 2U Chenbro chassis, I ordered a x16 riser card from china, but it has the wrong slot offset ofc.

Contacted Chenbro and they say that the model I got here (RM24100 + Full Height x3 rear part)
is just an older model : ) , but they hinted me on their nā‚¬w fancy products with riser card accessory and one of their distributor fumda.de .
They sell riser cards from genesysgroup.com.tw which probably should fit, I just made a request for a price, hopefully they donā€™t charge a massive amount for one maybe two riser cards.

If anyone knows more riser card options for such chassis, please let me know .
The x16 riser card I found from DeLock seems to have the wrong offset to (like 6mm) but is quite cheap and locally available.

Hey all, I just picked myself up an X470D4U. Iā€™m having trouble with GPU passthrough with ESXI 7.0. From reading back it look like gpu passthrough is bugged with BIOS 3.30? (it shipped to me with this BIOS). I was able to passthrough my Quadro k2200 before on an X470 Asus prime board with ESXI.

Or am I missing something within the BIOS? I saw that thereā€™s a beta bios but Iā€™m hesitant to try. Otherwise, it seems like my board is running well.

Try the beta bios

Hey! It worked! What a relief. Hope 3.37 is finalized soon.

Just a little heads up to anyone who is trying and failing to flash a SAS9211-8i, M1015, or any other similar HBAā€¦ Iā€™ve just spent two nights banging my head against the wall trying and failing to flash my M1015 to IT mode.

I tried using the efi shell method and the DOS method, using all manner of files, versions of shellx64, various folder hierarchies etc etcā€¦ I also tried flashing my M1015 on my gaming rig (AX370 Gaming 5 motherboard). The ā€œmegarecā€ part of the process worked just fine when booting to FreeDOS but I just could not for the life of me get sas2flash/sas2flsh step to work. It just failed with one of the following errors-

Error: Failed to initialize PAL. Exiting program

InitShellApp: Application not started from Shell

I found a few guides that specifically warned against using USB 3.0ā€¦ Whether the issues were related to the x470d4u not having USB 2.0, I donā€™t knowā€¦ I really wish Iā€™d tried using on of the USB 2.0 ports on my AX370 Gaming 5 now but I digress. The card is now flashed and Iā€™m done for the evening.

I ended up flashing the card in an older, Asus P8H77-i based system, which has a bios option to launch an efi shell from filesystem device (boot into bios, prees F7 scroll / press the right arrow key and go to the tab thatā€™s all the way to the right). I used this guide on STH - https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/tutorial-updating-ibm-m1015-lsi-9211-8i-firmware-on-uefi-systems.11462/

Out of curiosity, Iā€™d be really interested to hear if anyone has successfully flashed a M1015 (or similar) on their X470D4U* via the efi shellā€¦ Iā€™d just reeally like confirmation that itā€™s not possible / that Iā€™m not dumbā€¦

I flashed my 3408 a few weeks ago, used the latest storcli downloaded from broadcom, it has no any issue

I also had issues with those errors. I did end up successfully flashing my lsi card on the board though ipmi kvm. The solution was using different shellx64.efi file.

Hello,

Are there particular bios settings needed to use:

pcie6 - video card
pcie5 - network adapter (extra)
pcie4 - lsi sas card

I switched the pcie6 from 1x16 to 2x8 but cannot boot with either:

pcie6 - empty
pcie5 - network adapter (extra)
pcie4 - lsi sas card

Or

pcie6 - video card
pcie5 - empty
pcie4 - lsi sas card

I can only boot with

pcie6 - empty
pcie5 - empty
pcie4 - lsi sas card

Whats the deal?

• Firmware Information
BMC Firmware Version 1.90.00
BIOS Firmware Version P3.30
PSP Firmware Version 0.13.0.29
Microcode Version 08701013

Hi azlab and welcome to the forums!

Thatā€™s interestingā€¦ by any chance do you remember where you got the shellx64.efi file that worked for you?

From download history, its this file:
https:// download.shuttle.eu/Mirror/XPC/SZ270R8/Bios/SZ270000.116.ZIP

On my usb drive I had:

/efi
startup.nsh
sas2flash.efi
2118it.bin
mptsas2.rom

Then the rest of the steps worked.

1 Like

Could you also try with IGPU force-enabled? (by default itā€™s auto-disabled when a dGPU is detected). Or check serial console with ā€˜console redirectionā€™ enabled in the BIOS.
There should be at least some output on the console that could tell you what is wrong.

Iā€™d recommend updating to the latest beta BIOS.

I tried to boot mine up on 3.30 with two quadro graphics cards, one in each 16x slot, didnā€™t work at all - discovered that the 8x8x switch in the bios was hidden because I was using NVMe raid.

I could get them to work with one in the open ended slot and one in the top slot but the bottom slot was out.

Anyhow, put on the 3.37 bios and it works fine with one in each of the two 16x slots without any further changes to the bios (and NVMe raid still enabled).

Oh, and disable the inventory feature from the management section of the BIOS, otherwise itā€™ll often hang on the gathering inventory section too.

Hi, what bios version is it? Do yo have X version of cpu? There is no VDDIO option in my 3.37 and ryzen 2700 on x470d4u :frowning:

Does anyone experience a boot loop when starting the board over ipmi?
*Even when I start from IPMI web UI.

BMC Firmware Version 1.40.00 now => P1.70
BIOS Firmware Version P3.20 now => P3.30

ipmitool -I lanplus -H ā€œipā€ -U ā€œusr/adminā€ -P ā€œpasswā€ power on

When I attach a VGA monitor to it, I see it wonā€™t reach the Asrock boot options screen while looping.
But when I start to KVM while it loops on the bmc web user interface it somehow boots normal.
Edit:
BMC got somehow corrupted, then failed to flash over web(serving empty html, ended up with AC cycle), lost MAC after re-flashing from DOS, got replacement BMC chip, all seems to work fine now.

Sorry for the late reply. I guess removing the PFEH setting is the only correct thing for them to do for now, until they can actually properly implement PFEH (which Iā€™m not sure if that can / will happen, as it requires AMD to cooperate)

Can anyone confirm using Samsung ECC 32gb UDIMMS (M391A4G43MB1-CTD) on these boards? They are on the QVL list (well with a Q at the end of the product they are) so they should work, but we all know how that sometimes goesā€¦

Yes, somewhat unsurprisingly they work fine, got four of them spread across two boards.

I did have one DOA which was a pain to diagnose as the boards wouldnā€™t post without the ram installed either, thought I had a dead boardā€¦