ASRock Rack has created the first AM4 socket server boards, X470D4U, X470D4U2-2T

Hello,
New here. I’ve read this thread and learned a lot about this motherboard and its few caveats. I think it’s the best one suited for my needs (I’m building a Ryzen based Unraid home server and I need a M-ATX card with IPMI feature).
Unfortunately I can’t find a retailer in Europe who has some stock… The only one in my country (LDLC) has a shipment incoming in a few weeks which is quite a long time. Do you guys have any sources to buy this in Europe?
Thanks!

You are in France ?
Bonne chance !
I bought it from barax.de last year, then it’s sold out everywhere.

Hey! Good luck in your search. I just setup an Unraid server and other than a few things, which I found the answers to here (like fiddling in the IPMI to see the USB stick and RAM speeds in the BIOS), it’s been smooth sailing.

First thing I did was update the bios to 3.30 and the BMC to 1.90. Stuck some old G Skill RAM I had from my X99 build (4x4GB at 3000 MHz) in, installed my drives and it just worked. I had it going for six days, no hiccups and the IPMI still worked before I had to pull it down to put a NVME cache drive in. Now it’s back up and running great.

For the RAM I am running it at 2666Mhz (1333 in BIOS) and had to manually input some timings. Need to tweak those as I just shot from the hip. When I let the MB choose it was trying to push it at 3600 MHz (1800 in BIOS) and gave me some problems. All in all I was a little hesitant about this board but I’m glad I chose it.

I just got a word back from Asrock Sales - They are expecting the boards to reach EU retailers around May 15th. (For both base and 10g version). Don’t know about quantity though.

It’s almost good (IMO) … Doesn’t ASRock have MBs with TB3 on them…? For me…? That’s important. Never know when I might need to copy something in to storage via TB3 …

How many PCIe slots are supported on it (if you know)…?

The IPMI is cool though. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the answers! I’m indeed in France.
The ETA you got from Asrock Sales seem to corroborate the ETA the French retailer LDLC (can’t include a direct link it seems) is displaying on their website.
I placed an order with them, I’ll juste have to wait a couple of weeks now.

@JJJ65_Jonesout of curiosity are you using an additional GPU and passing it to a VM or docker container by chance? I’m trying to sort out and issue I’m having with my P2000 and am trying to figure out if it’s BIOS (setting or version) related or something more.

In my gpu passthrough setup I have the onboard vga set to [enabled] so that fedora server uses that and my 980ti is then taken by vfio kernel module passed through to my windows vm .

I am not using an additional GPU although I am conisdering throwing an old card in at some point to play around with. What @badbui said coincides with what I have read elsewhere. Best of luck.

Hello,
I’ve been following this thread for some time and now I’m in need for some help with the board.

My configuration:
X470D4U2-2T with BIOS v3.30 and IPMI v 01.70.00
Ryzen 9 3900X
2x 32GB Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 2666 (CMK32GX4M1A2666C16)
1x Corsair Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe (PCIe Gen3 x4 M.2 SSD)

At first I installed Proxmox 6.1 and after a while the system began to crash/reboot regularly. There is nothing to find in the logs. CPU Temp is below 60 degree Celsius.
After that, I ran MemTest86 for about 16 hours without a single Error reported.

Now it randomly reboots mostly a short time after starting the system. I removed the NVMe Disk and tried to install Proxmox on a SATA HD. I changed the PSU. I went back to BIOS version 3.20. I tried to install Debian 10 and even Windows 10.
I got always the same behavior. Sometime the system is rebooting after a few minutes. Sometimes it is during the OS setup.

I would appreciate some to find the cause of the problem.

could be the PSU.

Thanks for your answer, but I have already changed the PSU and it had no effect.

If it is not some fatal hardware failure then there is most likely something you can get out of the serial console. Use the RS232 connector on the back or Serial Over Lan using ipmitool to connect and redirect kernel logs to it.

Edit: Aleternatively I think any panics should also be visible if you have KVM screen connected when crash happens. Correction - they may be visible on the KVM screen depending on the issue.

Im using the KVM screen and when the crash happens it says “Powered Off” and “No Signal” then it is rebooting.

Try the serial console then

From Unraid: Ryzen on Linux can lock up due to issues with c-states, and while this should mostly affect 1st gen Ryzen there are reports that 2nd and even 3rd gen can be affected in some cases, make sure bios is up to date, then look for “Power Supply Idle Control” (or similar) and set it to “typical current idle” (or similar).

My new X470D4U was stuck in a boot loop. I could get into the BIOS settings maybe once every 10-20 reboots.

Tried BIOS 3.20 and 3.30, including multiple BIOS resets. No change.

Tried updating the BMC. It froze at 17%, then stalled. I left it for several hours just to be safe, but it was frozen. On reboot, BMC doesn’t work at all.

I’ve contacted Asrock Rack support. Hopefully they have a solution for me. If not, I’m close to giving up on this board. I really wanted it to work, but judging by the rest of this thread I’m not alone in my problems.

1 Like

I ran into a similar issue with mine. It would display proper hex codes then show 90, 89, 88, etc. Sometimes it would get stuck on one, but most of the time it’d count all the way to 1, hold for several minutes then boot.
I noticed the BMC heartbeat LED wasn’t lit up anymore and had issues booting into my ESXi install as it would error out. I used rufus to create a FreeDOS boot drive and followed instructions on ASRockRack’s site to flash the bmc’s firmware using DOS. This fixed that.

This is the only issue I’ve had with the board and I got a pre-release version.

1 Like

I am fairly sure this is just BIOS waiting for the BMC to get up. You should be able to change this in the BIOS settings - look for something along the lines of “Wait for BMC” and switch to disabled

Edit: I assumed this is happening after disconnecting/connecting power. If the power is available without interruption then BMC should be up after initial power-up. Is this what you are seeing?

What hardware? (RAM, CPU, drives, pcie expansion cards)

1 Like

The BMC came up normally. I used the BMC interface to turn the board on. I watched the reboot loop through the BMC remote viewer session.

The reboot loop happened regardless of whether or not I disconnected the power. Power cycling the board or turning the power supply off and on made no difference.

The only thing that seemed to make a difference was if I hit the delete key non stop. Eventually, after 10 or 20 reboots, I could get to the BIOS settings and stay there. It spontaneously booted into the ESXi installer exactly once which proceeded just fine until I manually restarted, but I could never get it to happen again.

3950X, 2 x M474A4G43MB1-CTDQ from the QVL (tried 1 at a time), and a Samsung 970 Pro (tried with/without, no difference).

Using socflash to force a BMC reflash was my next step.

Unfortunately, the only VGA display I have at home is my home theater projector. That should make this extra interesting.