ASRock Rack has created the first AM4 socket server boards, X470D4U, X470D4U2-2T

I have two boards.

In one of them, I’ve used a 2700 and a 3700x.
In the other one, I’ve used the same 2700 and now it has a 3600x.

Neither of them has a gpu installed.

1 Like

Have 2 of them. Never had a gpu in either. Also don’t use them for anything graphics related. Has worked perfectly.

2 Likes

Thank you both. So it really could be down to the 2600 I’ve got. Testing it out on the Asus B450 desktop board would answer that.

Is there anything you need to set in the BIOS for the Onboard VGA related settings to run a processor with no graphics? I’m guessing you guys have those left on Auto. (There’s a setting somewhere where you can switch between a PCI-express card or the onboard, there’s also one where you can disable the onboard VGA)

So I’m not alone :rofl:

1 Like

The very first CPU I tested on my first X470D4U (got two right now) was a 2600X.

It did POST OK, back then my main issue was the power management bug that throttled the CPU to 550 MHz through the triggering of “CPU_PROCHOT”.

But even then I didn’t experience freezing of any kind, it just was extremely slow due to the low clock speed.

I’d also say that you might have a damaged CPU.

1 Like

Thanks.

Well I’ve got to the bottom of it at last. The issue was actually more complex than just the CPU.

So… In the last few hours, I put the R5 2600 into my old Asus B450 board and my spare GTX 780 Ti but because my wife was using Plex I didn’t power the server down and instead took 1 of the 16GB DIMMs of Corsair Vengeance LPX memory from my gaming desktop and put it into the B450 board.

Power on and then I’m presented with the BIOS setup, no freezing, nothing. Everything seems fine, throw in an old SSD with a Windows install on it and it boots up just fine. No freezing, no bluescreens, nothing, services & network drives working just fine. Now I’m thinking it’s the ASRock board once more.

Then I realize I’ve changed two variables - the memory and the board. So after I get the go ahead from my wife (she’s not happy when I power it down haha), I power down my server and take the 2 Crucial DIMMs that are in that and stick them into the B450 board. Then I found the same troubles as on the ASRock X470D4U board - the fans spin but there was no video out. Swap back in the Corsair DIMM, and everything is fine once again. Swap them around again - same issue.

So I repeat the process on the X470D4U with the Corsair Vengeance LPX DIMM & the 2600, and lo’ and behold - Windows boots up just fine, no BIOS freezing or bluescreens.

So it would seem that the issue is the combination of the R5 2600 and the Crucial memory I have. That memory particular memory has been a bit weird. I’ve had it quite a while and even back when I’d an i7-6700k, to get it to work at 2400MHz I had to disable XMP otherwise the system would hang.

Guess I need new memory. For the meantime though, the 2200G is back in my server with the Crucial memory. It’s nice to know that the R5 2600 is okay and actually will work for me.

While the final builds both have 3600s in them, one started out with a 2700x. Across both configs the boring old Kingston never gave me any issues. I still get twitchy remembering the memory issues my Asrock Taichi and 1800x had. Ugggg. So had no interest in any excitement in these outside of the QVL lol.

1 Like

Problem is that the QVL list from ASRock is pretty short. The only non-ECC stuff on it that I could actually buy are the 16GB Samsung DIMMs on the list.

Trouble is, there’s Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666MHz 16GB kits for half the price of the Samsung stuff so I’m thinking I’ll just get that. I know the 3200MHz stuff I have in my desktop paired with a 3700X works just fine when put onto the X470D4U, so the lower speed stuff should be fine aswell.

I think the last time I had memory compatability issues was 10+ years ago. I’ve probably got a bit of a lemon in the Crucial memory I have given it was weird on the Z170 board I used to have aswell.

What sort of stuff went on with your 1800X & Taichi?

I’d recommend going with Samsung-branded OEM RAM if you want to have problem-free operation with the possibilty of even overclocking ECC UDIMMs (I’m using 4 x 32 GB Samsung DDR4-2666@3200 ECC UDIMM on the X470D4U).

If you search this thread by my username, “bin” and Samsung you get a more detailed explanation why.

1 Like

Where did you get those? As far as I knew they made 10 of them. Lol. I stopped chasing the b-die dragon pretty quickly when it became clear that process would take another few.months and tons of cash at best. Offsite backups didn’t need any overclocking so went with the boring and stable.

Samsung’s 32 GB DDR4-2666 ECC UDIMMs use M-Dies (model number M391A4G43MB1-CTD).

Just got a pair this week and they were manufactured 2020 week 5, so they are basically fresh of the boat. Those modules with M-Dies have been available for purchase for about nine months.

Variants that are speced for DDR4-2933 or -3200 use A-Dies however they haven’t made it to the retail market yet :frowning:

1 Like

Whelp. I know what I’m doing this weekend: beg at the door of the Samsung office until they gimme four or six Haha.

So I’ve now ordered some 16GB Samsung DDR4 DIMMs instead of the cheaper Corsair Vengeance LPX I was looking at. I decided it was worth the extra cost to get something that’s actually from the QVL, even it was twice the price!

I found Samsung M378A2K43CB1-CTD DIMMs on Amazon which is one of the non-ECC DIMMs listed by ASRock on the QVL for the X470D4U.

I wouldn’t mind going with ECC for interest just since I’ve never used it before, but I just can’t justify the premium at the minute.

I swear, I will NOT be pleased if the Samsung DIMMs don’t work with the 2600! :wink:

1 Like

The M378A2K43CB1-CTD are C-Die-based - I haven’t used them with UDIMMs yet but RDIMMs that are specced for DDR4-2933 so they should do well.

However I don’t know how well the memory controller of a Zen+/Ryzen 2000 clocks on the X470D4U.

1 Like

Hey,

I like run this board with low power draw.

I’m looking thru the manual for the mobo and can’t find any OC settings.

Can you set VCore, VCore offset, CPU Ratio and similar?

Thanks in advance.

Don’t take my word as a fact, maybe I overlooked it since I couldn’t leave my test system offline for long.

The Eco Mode was introduced with AGESA 1004 B. Thanks to the user @Discipulus96 I could flash the Beta BIOS L3.33 with AGESA 1004 B on my X470D4U. The public BIOS 3.30 only has AGESA 1003 ABBA.

I’m currently running an R9 3900 PRO (65 W TDP out of the box) on it and on my initial BIOS setup routine with L3.33 I couldn’t find the “Eco Mode” option anywhere.

On an ASRock X570 Taichi with AGESA 1004 B the Eco Mode option is in the “AMD Overclocking” menu of the BIOS.

Note: Eco Mode is currently only available on Zen 2 CPUs (Ryzen 3000 series without integrated GPU)

3 Likes

Hi, would you mind to share the download details of the new beta Bios for the X470D4U by PM?
Thanks a lot!

If you don’t mind the question, where did you get your Pro CPU?

Contract any System Integrator, they can special order you one if they dont carry it.

1 Like

Several mid- to large-sized retailers in Germany carry them as a regular item. The CPU gets shipped butt-naked in a cardboard sandwich with two pieces of foam.

About 10 % more expensive than the regular 3900X

1 Like