ASRock Rack has created the first AM4 socket server boards, X470D4U, X470D4U2-2T

I asked earlier if The Alpenföhn Black Ridge cpu-cooler works with this board and have been able to answer my own question, yes it does! I had never removed a glued motherboard backplate (you need to do that with this cooler) and found the experience nerve racking, but eventually i booted into unraid, so it seems i haven’t broken everything.:sweat_smile:
My noob project now looks as followed:

This board has given my a lot of trouble though. It has refused to boot into the OS at least 30 times and keeps throwing ‘‘Dr Debugg codes’’ most commonly nummer 36: PEI_CPU_SMM_INIT, but also 62, D7 and A9.
Further more i cannot get video out of the VGA port, the IPMI webui has worked for the most part.
The board does not boot without a dedicated GPU (i was under the impression it didn’t need one).
The IPMI Event Log shows 7 instances of CPU_PROCHOT.
I did eventually point a fan at the ASpeed AST2500 as it felt warm (not hot) and then it booted, but this might just be a coincidence. Perhaps this information is useful to somebody.

3 Likes

Seems like the VGA out is quite nitpicky regarding the detection of connected displays. I had used an external active VGA-to-HDMI adapter and a display with 1920 x 1080 - previously worked fine, but for some reason not any longer - but a different display with 1280 x 800 is A-OK…

Have you tried BIOS 3.25 and BMC 1.90 (for the X470D4U model, flash via IPMI web interface).

The files here are directly sourced from ASRock Rack’s support:

1 Like

I haven’t tried these yet, but the screen i am using is an old Samsung Syncmaster 710N Zilver 1280x1024, VGA only (it was free). It is 00:30 here now so i am going to bed first, but ‘‘tommorow’’ i will try these. Thank you!

I ordered a X470D4U few days back at german shop future-x. They just called me back to tell me, that the board isnt available anymore. They stated, that their distri told them that ASRock Rack said, the Board is now EOL and no longer in production.

I don’t know how reliable this information is, bust just wanted to share my infromation.

If this is true - are there AM4 alternatives with IPMI and ECC Support, besides the 2-2T? Sadly i think I am able to answer this question myself…

1 Like

I’d hope that they just make a “new” motherboard model where the X470 chipset is replaced with the upcoming budget 500 series version where at least the CPU-supplied PCIe slots are upgraded to PCIe 4.0.

But I don’t know how reliable Future-X is these days - purchased a Western Digital Ultrastar DC SN630 “enterprise” SSD a few weeks ago that was listed as in stock and it took almost two weeks to get to me. A few days after placing the order and not seeing any shipping notice I contacted Future-X’s customer support and to this day I haven’t received a response.

My guess is that this retailer might be going belly-up soon.

But it still sucks major balls that there is no other AM4 IPMI model - seriously disappointed in Supermicro :frowning:

I just hope that Intel isn’t using too much of its “financial horsepower” - again…

That sucks if it indeed EOL. The one I have is pretty stable. It’s running ESXI fine. The teething and just general crappiness of the BIOS did make me buy another intel xeon CPU and board. You better believe it wasn’t an AsRock Rack board. Supermicro FTW.

I also upgraded my 6 core Xeon E to an 8 core Xeon E. A few hundred more than the AMD cpus but the boards from supermicro are superior to AsRock Rack IMHO.

I still show AMD some love. My 3900X for my remote box is a beast. Likely more then I need.

Well it hasn’t been in production for months but they say it’s EOL then why the fuck did they spend all that R&D money on something just to axe support in under a year?

Come on SM get your shit together and make a decent AM4 board with IPMI.

EDIT: So I did something I never do. I emailed SuperMicros support team about making this board. I feel invincible right now.

Hi everyone, I’m using a X470D4U2-2T, and a 3700X under ESXi 6.7 u3
Thanks to this thread and a lot of trial and error; I’ve actually got it running under the beta bios and 1.60 bmc.

I’ve also been able to pass through an LSI 9211-8i to a ZFS file server.

Now I finally am at the main event. I have an AMD Radeon RX 5700 graphics card with a dummy hdmi plug that I have been able to make the graphics card and hdmi audio available for passthrough; and now I have actually passed it through to a windows 10 VM. The passthrough is successful and the card appears in the device manager and I am also able to install the Radeon Drivers! However; I am getting a Code 43 error and a yellow exclamation point. I’ve tried the hypervisor.cpuid.v0 False setting; but it didn’t change anything for me.

Any ideas on how to make this thing function? It stinks to have purchased so much hardware and gotten so close to give up now.

What Xeon and MB did you go with? Have any success passing through the iGPU for QuickSync?

Well what would you do in their situation? This board likely wasn’t selling very well due to the niche market, and it has been riddled with unresolved issues since launch. Probably is costing them more to support than it is earning in sales. So while it certainly would be disappointing, it would not be surprising if ASRock is actually pulling the plug on the project.

The hero we need.

Unfortunately they have an obsession with only putting embedded epyc chips on the mini-ITX form factor. I just want low power with lots of pcie lanes dammit, where’s my 3301 full size boards

Well… I’m realizing that the GPU dream might be all pipes at this point. I also am realizing that I probably would be better served by dropping a 2nd LSI card in there for more passthrough ZFS drives than the trouble that the GPU seems to cause with stability / losing IPMI controls after booting.

I do have a backup plan for streaming; I’ve got a ryzen 2400G mini itx system lying around that I’ve been meaning to sell; so I’ll probably just hang onto it and drop the RX5700 into that and put it all in a small case in the rack and run it headless for streaming that way. Would have been nice to consolidate the power; but I can probably set it up to wake on lan for when I want to use it.

I was going down the same path of having my video card in my primary vm/file server, but realized the video card idle power wasn’t worth it. I pooled some spare parts into a rackmount case and that machine gets turned on via WoL when I want to play a game.

Lol Yeah… Sometimes you just have to step back and be like… why am I actually trying to do this the hard way and what benefit am I actually getting?

So SuperMicro got back to me and they said they were not considering creating a board at this time. At least they did write back…

2 Likes

Hey All,

Bit new here.
First post.
Just letting you know that I recently purchased the X470D4U from a retailer and I don’t know how reliable their knowledge is on the matter but they said the board is not EOL.
Been following their stock levels for a couple of months.
Seems to be in and out of stock regularly.
Might be low quantities each time being brought in.
Either way.
The stock moves.

2 Likes

@CSpy

I hope your intel is correct, would be quite disappointed if ASRock Rack just discontinued this model.

Also I would have suggested that they only released the 2 x 10 GbE version X470D4U2-2T after they noticed a somewhat “good” demand for the initial X470D4U.

WTF… This would be disappointing if this board is already EOL’d. Niche market or not, it serves an awesome gap with Ryzen, being able to run off the shelf end user based equipment (affordable) as a server.

The X470D4U(2-2T)'s niche demand doesn’t seem to be so niche - otherwise I couldn’t comprehend why ASRock Rack would introduce an even more niche product (mITX/AM4/X570/2 x 10 GbE/1 x PCIe x16/1 x M.2 PCIe x4)

Obvious error in the listed specs: Max. 64 GB RAM but 4 DIMM slots - accepting bets now - what is correct, max. 64 GB, meaning only 2 DIMM slots or 4 DIMM slots meaning max. 128 GB RAM?

*32 GB Unbuffered SO-DIMMs have been already available for almost a year.

3 Likes

Well there’s this thing supposedly coming. I’m not interested because I only care about pcie lanes, but some of you may be.

3 Likes