ASRock Rack has created the first AM4 socket server boards, X470D4U, X470D4U2-2T

Thank you, that’s good to know…

Is this function also the reason why the I210s cannot be isolated to use them for Passthrough?

Very likely. You may find they do isolate once you have the rtl loopback plug though. It varies a lot. There may be a failsafe setting too

Do you know anything about the stuff with the 3 X470 chipset SATA controllers? Is there also a reason why ESXi cannot boot anymore if you set them to Passthrough (cp. a few posts above with screenshots).

No idea generally I don’t find chipset ports reliable on any platform hence what we did for Steve

Thanks @aBav.Normie-Pleb,

What direction did you orient the cooler?

My primary X470D4U system resides within a mini tower (Lian Li PC-A04B, https://gzhls.at/i/52/45/585245-m0.jpg ), with the bundled mounting kit I could only mount the U9S with the fan facing “down” or “up”. By chance all my add-in cards are low-profile and the tower has place for a 120 mm exhaust fan in the top cover so I mounted it in a way that the air is being pulled from the add-in card area and pushed out of the case at the top. Additionally 2 120 mm fans are pulling air in at the front, 1 80 mm fan is pushing air out at the back.

I modded the PSU with a 140 mm fan that is also pushing air out of the case.

But I think you can request an alternative mounting bracket set for the U9S from Noctua free of charge so that you can freely choose how the heatsink is orientated.

1 Like

I updated my board to the latest BMC firmware (1.60) and the latest BIOS (3.31), but I’m not able to even detect any USB bootable drives regardless if I’ve set it to UEFI or Legacy or both. I’ve tried a few different USB drives with various images that boot fine on other systems…

The only boot option is the USB virtual device which is the KVM “CD image” mount, which does work as expected.

That hs been mentioned a couple of times.

3 Likes

@aBav.Normie-Pleb, I love you :blush:

Has anybody tried if this motherboard will fit the Alpenfohn Black Ridge? https://www.alpenfoehn.de/en/products/cpu-cooler/black-ridge-en
From the site: ‘‘Mini ITX motherboards from the manufacturers ASrock, Gigabyte and MSI may cause assembly problems due to the arrangement of the components.’’
It is the best air cooler i can find, for a silverstone c381. According to this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5C7iDb2Z0I

Half an hour. Heh. I remember this taking me much longer to figure out :frowning:

Ah shit, I think I got a bricked board :frowning:
Wanted to disable the BMC access via Intel I210, went into BIOS, disabled “Out Of Band Acess” , the system never posted again.

  • No video signal (onboard VGA or the dGPU
  • No device showing up in the network (Realtek BMC NIC or upper I210)

Things that didn’t help:

  • Removing the CMOS battery and shorting the reset pads
  • Removing all PCIe add-in cards
  • Installed a single GPU

:frowning:

1 Like

Have you tried to connect a computer with Wireshark to the network ports if your board is sending any data or responding to broadcasts/arp-scans? You haven’t IPv6 enabled, so maybe you can use a “all devices” multicast ping, have you?

Not wireshark but my router has that functionality (anything that’s sending or receiving via TCP/IP gets permantly listed with its MAC address, nothing now, even after 10 minutes of waiting). Or do you mean something different?

Does anyone else wanna try “unbonding” the I210 from the BMC? :wink:

:frowning:

The weird thing is that an USB keyboard can issue a reset command (crtl + alt + del), but no graphical output or IPMI access.

Is there an explanation for the out of band meaning?

If I remember correctly the default page stated:

Out Of Band Access : No Change

(Enabled)

I interpreted it that way that this means that the BMC is accessable with something else than the Realtek NIC and changed it from “No Change” to “Disabled”, hoping that this would restrict BMC/IPMI access to the Realtek NIC only.

But it’s kind of strange that such a setting could render a motherboard permanently not usable, even after a CMOS reset :frowning:

1 Like

I think I read somewhere that sometimes it helps to:

  • unplug power
  • remove cmos battery
  • press the power button for some minutes long
  • short the cmos reset for some minutes

So perhaps if you try a bit longer, it does help? (I hope for you)

Wish the prices would drop a bit on the 10gbe version even the stock one at $250 is a bit overpriced if you ask me, just cant justify it. Hoping for a good sale price one day.

1 Like

Tried it all, the CMOS battery had been out for 12 hours.

Even tried the spare set of BIOS and BMC flash chip I got a few months back - no change :frowning:

I wonder if there is any more non-volatile storage area for settings somewhere besides the two flash chips?

Maybe the chinese spy implant Bloomberg reported on some time ago and Supermicro couldn’t find anything since ASRock Rack got the shipment? :wink:

Have you tried a different cpu? Might reset something…

1 Like