ASRock Rack has created the first AM4 socket server boards, X470D4U, X470D4U2-2T

@aBav.Normie-Pleb, is you debug LED lighting up when the PSU connected to power, my seller said it should be lighting up when PSU is connect to the power

@Huang_wei

No, the Debug LED is not lighting up by just connecting power to the PSU. However two green LEDs on the motherboard should light up and after a while one starts blinking.

The Debug LED only lights up when the system is properly powered on.

Note: I have only the non-2T version of the motherboard but I donā€™t see any reason why this behavior should change.

Important note: Be aware that CPU fan control is broken in the public BIOS 3.04 (compare the postings in this thread), I would contact ASRock Rack support and get version 3.09, NOT 3.11)

Regarding troubleshooting:

After the BIOS flash process Iā€™d use the IPMI to reset everything to factory default settings and after that re-flash BIOS and the BMC firmware - maybe another factory default settings reset after that.

Over many years Iā€™ve seen weird BIOS issues and sometimes it helped to re-flash the same BIOS version twice in a row with a factory/CMOS reset between the flash processes, so now I always do it this way to avoid potential trouble from even surfacing.

This helped me once when for unkown reason the motherboard would not boot properly.

thanks , then it might not my PSU issue, I do have 2 green LED light up as you said, I will try to use IPMI to reset everything to factory default setting tomorrow to see if it can help, again, thanks for your help

1 Like

@Huang_wei

Please report back how the motherboard is working then for you, what exact PSU model you are using and if you have CPU_PROCHOT IPMI log entries.

So far we do not know if the X470D4U2-2T is also affected by the issues detailed in this thread but unfortunately since these models base on the same hardware design I think itā€™s likely.

I also tested an Intel X550 T2 card in PCIe 5 of my X470D4U models (essentially making them into X470D4U2-2T) and the issues Iā€™ve experienced did not change.

Edit: Just saw that the X470D4U2-2T has different/earlier BIOS/BMC firmware versions so I donā€™t know if all the bugs mentioned in context of the X470D4U and BMC 1.50/BIOS 3.04 et. al also applies to your X470D4U2-2T.

Noctua are usually very good about sending brackets and such, should just have to message them.

1 Like

Help will always be given to those at Hogwarts, whom ask for it.

2 Likes

Have Asrock provided any further information on when a newer BIOS might be available that addresses some of the issues? I would be okay with purchase of a new PSU just for this project but am concerned with comments that ESXi 6.7 canā€™t even be loaded with newer non-public BIOSes.

I realize that this thread is for discussion of the Asrock board but Iā€™m at a decision making point here as for not a whole lot more than I would spend on this board and associated bits and pieces I can get a refurbished server with a warranty, enterprise grade hardware, etc. I do know that I would have more flexibility for tweaking and lower power consumption with a DIY solution like this but itā€™s tough.

Latest bone Dell has thrown me is R640 w 48Gb RAM, 4116 CPU, 2x240GB SSDs, PERC H330 controller, dual 495w hot swap PSUs, 2x10Gb + 2X1Gb NIC and assorted bits and bobs for $2100 which seems like a pretty fair deal. The only issue is Iā€™m not sure if I would run into insurmountable challenges getting a PCIE GPU to work in pass through mode under ESXi in such a server.

Yeah Iā€™ll email them and see if I can get 2 sets, gonna get another cooler once I rebuild my NAS.

Iā€™m also going to test a graphite thermal pad, seeing my rig runs 24/7 and it gets damn hot here thermal paste has a tendency to dry out quick. Iā€™ll report back on how it does when I do it :sunglasses:.

1 Like

Joining in this discussionā€¦

I bought the X470D4U (non 2T) and am running a 3900x as a home lab. Iā€™m also running 3.04 bios (borrowed a first gen Ryzen 1700 to flash the board from 1.50 that it shipped with) This board seems to be finicky from day one. Iā€™m running ESXi 6.7 u2. Every day or so (sometimes less), ESXi and all the VMā€™s completely freeze. ESXi is stuck at its grayed out screen and keystrokes donā€™t register even sitting in front of the machine (not via IPMI remote KVM). IPMI itself is still responding fine and I can reboot the host from there. I also am getting ā€œno asserationā€ with CPU temperatures. (Though I was with the old 1.5 bios with the 1700x) Not sure whatā€™s causing ESXi to hard lock. Iā€™ve tried disabling c-states. The log doesnā€™t seem to be super descriptive. I am passing a Quadro P2000 to my plex VM that that seems to function fine (until it freezes). I swapped my SSD from a Samsung 950 pro that I had lying around to a 860 EVO, and that seemed to last longer anyway between freezes anyway. (The 860 Evo is fresh out of the box). I see that most of the issues are with CPU_PROCHOT IPMI in the IPMI logs. Iā€™ll double check my own logs to see if I can find something like that. It sounds like an updated bios is imminent? 3.09? 3.11? I sure hope so. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the first hand experience @JackOfAllTech thatā€™s exactly what I needed to hear. Not what I wanted to hear but what I needed to hear. Do you think the GPU pass through is what is killing things? You might take the GPU out for a week and see if the stability improves.

As neat as this project is I donā€™t know that I am ready to take the plunge since I need some stability under ESXi.

I suppose that I could look into running a different hypervisor but I have an ESXi essentials license with a host available to use on it so Iā€™d have the enterprise capability of ESXi and could still do things like Veeam backups of my VMs if I needed to migrate things.

That Dell R640 is looking more tempting right now. The only thing holding me back on that one is some kind of assurance that a P400 would work with passthrough which of course Dell canā€™t provide.

@jmpage2 Yeah thatā€™s one of the options Iā€™m going to try next, just doing CPU transcoding instead of passing the GPU through. Iā€™m thinking its something else though as the Plex VM works anytime I access it. ESXi ā€œfreezesā€ randomly. If you need ESXi stability, then yeah probably get the Dell. Just prior to this machine, I tried a Dell Powerdge R730 and it was just too loud and hot and power hungry for my needs. Additionally even dual 2680 v3ā€™s youā€™re talking a total passmark for both CPUā€™s of 37,130 whereas the 3900x alone puts up almost 32,000. Obviously thereā€™s a huge generational difference, but with power consumption and head and noise a factor in my home, I went this route. Though I definitely have some bugs to work out, i feel long term, this will be the better fit.

Iā€™m still considering going this route for all of the reasons you stated. I could spend less on consumer grade gear and get something that is more powerful and uses less power, quieter, etc.

Doesnā€™t do me a lot of good though if I canā€™t get the needed uptime.

after I taken out the battery and clear the CMOS, the system finally got posted, now running memtest86 now to tes the memory

Iā€™m use 2 of KSM26ED8/16ME, it is ECC memory, but I just notice it shows ECC enable: N/A , I donā€™t remember there is any ECC related setup in bios, will use dmidecode to check later

1 Like

Most likely the issue is the current BIOS isnā€™t up to AGESA 1.0.0.3 for the Ryzen 3000 series processors. 1.0.0.1 was a NIGHTMARE and basically just didnt work, so it may be that the BIOS you need to bug AsRock to send would aleviate that issue

@Huang_wei

Thanks for that update with the BIOS battery - only had to do that once in the past with an Intel C236 motherboard (S1200SPLR) to get it to boot again.

BIOS/BMC UPDATE for X470D4U

Who is feeling lllllucky?

BIOS 3.10
BMC: 1.60

https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X470D4U#Download

1 Like

newegg done lost their mind againā€¦

These things are either selling like hot cakes or are just rare.

X470D4U - Bug report for BIOS 3.10/BMC 1.60

• No DIMM temperature readings from booted OS (the IPMI DIMM sensor listings seem working)

• No DIMM SPD details readable in booted OS

• No CPU fan speed RPM sensor readable from booted OS but more importantly it is changing depending on actual CPU temperatur which as you learned unfortunately isnā€™t something you can safely assume.

• CPU_PROCHOT-affected users: After about 30 min of system power on time CPU_PROCHOT is back :frowning:

X470D4U_SN-Unit_1-2_2019-08-07_BIOS_3.10_BMC_1.60_CPU_PROCHOT_SELLog.txt (5.3 KB)

Can you guys confirm that or have different experiences?

whats the perferred update order ?

BMC > BIOS

BIOS > BMC

Since I also have firmware PTSD I always do BMC first and flash everything twice, with a restore to factory defaults between the flash processes.

But so far, CPU_PROCHOT has not been triggered with the ā€œproblematicā€ Seasonic G-450 PSU. (knock on hard wood)

1 Like

Asrock send me a link for 3.11 bios, but as the feedback 3.11 has issues, Iā€™m not sure If update to it or not