ASRock Rack has created the first AM4 socket server boards, X470D4U, X470D4U2-2T

Prime day?

Despite their price, theyā€™re sold out. Thereā€™s no incentive to lower the price, if anything they can increase it.

Saying that, that X470D4 is my dream homelab/virtualization board, especially with the 3950x coming out soon. Having those 3 slots is great for things like HBAā€™s, 10g NICs, PCIe SSDs like optane, etc. I can see myself not needing much more than 2 9201-16iā€™s or 9300-16iā€™s and an x540-T2

Iā€™d be fine with paying up to $300 without issues for this board, assuming it stayed there and I made sure to get a compatible PSU to avoid the PROCHOT issue

3 Likes

No. It was still out of stock on prime day

1 Like

Agree.

I ordered a 10gbe aquantia with it and a 2700 ā€¦ plan on it as an upgrade for my proxmox

1 Like

Newegg is really gouging those prices, I can get the X470D4U here in Aus for $418 & I think $20 shipping, Newegg wantā€™s $491 plus $50 shipping. The X470D4U2-2T I can get for $660, cant see Neweggs price.

On a side note my systems been running fine for the last few months (aside from Windows breaking something last week :roll_eyes:), been hammering the crap out of it with folding since I built it and it hasnā€™t skipped a beat. Iā€™ll also be getting another stick of RAM for this one and sticking a Notcua NH-U9S on it as well once itā€™s in itā€™s new Supermicro 743 chassis (waiting on rails atm). After that itā€™ll be 10GBe SFP+ card :sunglasses:.

I plan on grabbing another board and sticking a 3600 or 3700X in it for my NAS, should be more than enough grunt to handle transcoding if itā€™s ever needed. Just hope FreeNAS & Plex will play nice with it.

Edit, Iā€™m surprised @wendell hasnā€™t done a review on this thing yet, thought heā€™d be all over it by nowā€¦ hint hint :wink:.

I run my FreeNAS as a VM with 2 cores on a 1700 (recently upgraded to 3700x). It transcodes fine for a single user at max quality. unless you have like 10+ concurrent streams that require transcoding, you donā€™t need a super core heavy processor for FreeNAS plus Plex or any other Plugins

H.264 is easy to transcode, H.265 on the other handā€¦ well this is from Plexā€™s CPU page:

• 4K HDR (50Mbps, 10-bit HEVC) file: 17000 PassMark score (being transcoded to 10Mbps 1080p)
  • 4K SDR (40Mbps, 8-bit HEVC) file: 12000 PassMark score (being transcoded to 10Mbps 1080p)
  • 1080p (10Mbps, H.264) file: 2000 PassMark score
  • 720p (4Mbps, H.264) file: 1500 PassMark score

As a guy that ran a dual socket celeron machine back in the day I might be disqualified in saying this, but this is a rather niche product. It certainly pushes the envelop of what you can do with a desktop chipset/cpu, but I feel like most serious workloads have better solutions? That said it might have some value when you need a specific feature set on a tight budget, but is that really true now with the AMD processor refresh? Prices on TR have dropped considerably and isnā€™t the cost of this board comparable to an X399? Not to mention it seems some of the X570 boards are offering ECC supportā€¦ Donā€™t get me wrong though. I know the frustration of not being able to find the set of features you need at a reasonable price point. The industry typically tries to block scenarios where low end kit will cannibalize the mid/high end gear theyā€™re selling.

Does anyone got a Optane 900P or 905P running with this board?
Mine does not get recognized?
Also in the IPMI it does not give CPU temps, how do you enable the sensor?

1 Like

PCIe or u.2/m.2 connected?

1 Like

u.2/m.2 connected
Its the SSDPE21D280GASM

Hmm I just now noticed it has support for,
PCIe 3.0 x2(M.2_2) and supports PCIe 2.0 x4 only(M.2_1))

But not PCIe 3.0 x4ā€¦

1 Like

put a pcie to m.2 into one of the actual slots (all are 4x or better)

2 Likes

You mean like so?

1 Like

Yes that would work, you could also look at a pcie to u.2 card if you want to direct connect to the device with the extra piece in the chain. This would be more useful later though imo and is probably cheaper

1 Like

oh shitā€¦ I might have to try thisā€¦

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-U-2-PCIe-Adapter-PEX4SFF8639/dp/B072JK2XLC

2 Likes

this adapter would require another adapter (if your model doesnt have the m.2 cable included)

2 Likes

Small update on the PSU front (unfortunately nothing new from Seasonic or ASRock Rack)

I could test a factory-new Seasonic PRIME Ultra Titanium 850 W (SSR-850TR) ( https://seasonic.com/pub/media/pdf/consumer/datasheet/PRIME-ULTRA-Titanium-TR.pdf ) and during the boot sequence CPU_PROCHOT is triggered for a few seconds but then changing back to ā€œnot assertedā€.

The only PSU I could test so far where CPU_PROCHOT never makes an appearance is the Seasonic Focus Plus Platinum 550 W - pretty weird.

Will test Optane compatibility next and get back to you!

1 Like

@normanu

The X470D4Uā€™s public BIOS (3.04) is still fā€™d up regarding temperature sensors.

By contacting ASRock Rack Support you can get a newer BIOS that hasnā€™t been made public yet (3.09) that seems to fix the temperature sonsors.

1 Like

Are temp sensor errors also showing up with 2000 series Ryzen?

@ aBav.Normie-Pleb

AsRack support told me a new BIOS would be out Friday. Seems like it was delayed but they said it should be soon.

As a note my board and CPU were just delivered today. Iā€™ll be able to test today.

AsRack didnā€™t take me up on my offer to send them the PSU to keep. I just wanted a shipping label considering Iā€™m already out $30 for shipping.

If anyone else want this PSU to see why this is the case just pay for the shipping (likely ~10-15 dollars). Iā€™m in the US obviously. Iā€™m chalking this up to random and just getting a new PSU and moving on. I do not have the expertise to figure this out.