ASRock Rack has created the first AM4 socket server boards, X470D4U, X470D4U2-2T

that is good news. these settings are set from the bios menu. I guess that confused me.

In my opinion the hard drive cages not having dedicated fans is a (serious) design flaw of the CS381.

I also got a CS381 and ran into temperature issues (>60°C) with 8 Seagate Exos 10 TB 7200 RPM drives. Could mitigate them by replacing the rear case fans with two Noctua NF-F12 Fans running at full speed (below 50°C).

Wow, updating the Bios while preserving all settings revived it. That’s just weird.

Really happy to have it back alive though.

i normally reset them when I update the BIOs, but thats me. I leave 99% of everything at default, so changing 2-3 things is fast for me.

The issue is actually quite a bit stranger than I expected. Updated a setting again and server wouldn’t start anymore. Flashed the Bios again keeping the config and all worked again. After a bit of trial and error I came to the conclusion that whenever I do ‘safe and exit’ in the Bios, the machine wouldn’t start up anymore. Even when not making a change. Am I missing something or is this just weird.

It works! Just confirmed:

GPU Passthrough to a windows Hyper-V VM using DDA works just fine if using a Quadro x2000 series card or higher. I got the “Error 43” using a Quadro K620 but an M2000 works normally.

Hardware transcoding for Plex in a VM is so fast now!

Hey Discipulus96 please send me the Agesa 1.0.0.4 Bios.
Thanks a Lot :slight_smile:

I have officially migrated my storage server to the x470d4u.

So now my proxmox and zfs server both run this motherboard, both with 3rd gen ryzen cpus.

Both are on BMC v1.9 and BIOS v3.30 (~ 2 months at this point)

the ipmi hasnt dropped out since I updated to BIOS 3.30

Flashing the Bios without preserving settings seem to have solved the issue initially. Now for whatever reason the machine appears to be bricked. Only clue I have is the VCCM sensor showing a voltage above the threshold (1.52V). According to the logs there were several breaches on that 2 weeks ago is well. I do still get access to the IPMI, but it stalls when trying to flash the bios. Seems like I have killed it somehow.

Feels like I’m out of options and need to have it unracked and send it back home. Anybody still seeing a way to revive it?

off the top of your head…

anyone know where in the BIOs I can adjust fan speeds?

I’ll have it unracked and send back home.

Been wanting to replace my old home server (An old Supermicro board with an Atom D510) and this board looked perfect.

However, I’m having no end of trouble with it :expressionless:. IPMI didn’t work at all on the first board I received, so I exchanged it. Powered on the replacement before assembling it and IPMI seemed to be working (LED lit up and started blinking regularly). But once I assembled the components (Ryzen 5 3600 & 2x16 GB ECC RAM (M391A2K43BB1-CTDQ; on the memory QVL)), the IPMI LED lit up once and hasn’t turned on since. Booting gets to 36 - PEI_CPU_SMM_INIT and then gets stuck there for a bit, before counting down from 90.

I’ve tried removing the CPU/RAM and clearing the CMOS but IPMI still doesn’t come back on.

Any ideas what I’m doing wrong?

update the bios?

Yeah, I should have done that before assembling :frowning:. Can’t now; IPMI doesn’t work and it doesn’t POST.

Have you checked your PSU ?

I had a defective X470D4U that behaved like that. The issue was that for some reason the IPMI flash chip data gets corrupted due to a hardware defect.

Took a replacement chip with a 100 % good IPMI image and it worked again for about a week. Then it again died and the image was no longer usable (then tested that corrupted chip with a separate board).

The IPMI LED lights up for a very short time and then dies instead of continueously blinking like it should during normal operation.

Can’t hook up a monitor and keyboard and get into the BIOS?

In my case (which sounds a lot like @luniv’s) it didn’t output a VGA signal in this state. I think I could get it to POST again by removing the IPMI/BMC flash chip completely, obviously without any IPMI functionality then.

Sorry about not remembering with more accuracy, was a time when there were many tech-related issues at my home due to early Zen 2 BIOS sh** and I didn’t take notes during my expermentation.

Another thing to try might be removing the CMOS battery for ten minutes and then try again.

That sounds exactly what happened for me after I turned it on the 2nd time. Though now the LED isn’t lighting at all anymore. And yeah, it’s not outputting a VGA signal at all.

Thanks for the idea about removing the IPMI flash. I took it out and the CMOS battery overnight, but still get the same result.

I think at this point I’m going to try exchanging the board one more time and the CPU as well. If that doesn’t work, guess it’s back to Supermicro. It’s a shame, because this seems like a perfect home server board :frowning:.

I bought and am using two of them.

The only issue I have had was the ipmi stopped responding after a few weeks of uptime.

Since the Dec BIOS and ipmi firmware updates, I haven’t had that issue.