ASRock Rack has created the first AM4 socket server boards, X470D4U, X470D4U2-2T

From their techs as long as you’re in the same major branch you shod be fine. So going from 3.20 to 3.10 should be fine but you cannot go to a 1.xx release.

Does anyone know why the Ryzen Master software looks fucked up on my computer?

I suppose it may have to do with the display driver… I have no videocard, so I currently only have:

• Microsoft Basic Display Driver
  • Microsoft Remote Display Driver

I have the issue both when connecting with remote desktop connection and when using “Remote Connect” of the IPMI.

When I search on the Asrock Rack website for drivers, I find ?! nothing ?! I already installed the x550 driver from Intel to make the NICs work and the x470 chipset drivers from AMD, but I’m not sure which drivers I need for the (non-existing?) videocard…

For what its worth, when I ran Ryzen Master in Windows 10 on the X470D4U, it looked normal. It also looked normal when running it within an unRAID VM (same Win10 installation). No discrete GPU installed. Just the onboard.

Thanks for the reply!

Do you have any driver installed? Or just the Win10 default?

Just the default driver for the onboard graphics.

Our board is now running fine for about a month. The Linux Kernel also reported two corrected memory errors so ECC works absolutely fine.

We’re still running on 3.10 with BMC 1.50. Never touch a running Asrock Rafk system.

The only issue we’re now facing:
If you open the remote control to interact with the system (in our case a Debian is booted) and reboot the system while connected to the Remote Console the System freezes during POST and the BMC isn’t rechable anymore. After replugging the power cord the server boots again.

When not having the Remote Console open the server reboots absolutely fine.

Does anybody had a similar experience with the BMC or is it fixed in 1.60/3.20?

The 3.20 Changelog states:
“Update Console Redirection function”. Are there more information about it?

That never happened to me.

BMC Firmware Version 1.60.00
BIOS Firmware Version P3.10
PSP Firmware Version 0.9.0.70
Microcode Version 08001138

I haven’t run Debian on there, but I’ve booted in and out of Windows and unRAID a bunch of times. (with the remote console open)

Wanted to ask if any of the other users here that contacted ASRock Rack regarding AGESA 1003 ABB or newer BIOS have received any sort of response?

The waiting with uncertainty is getting frustrating and frankly speaking I find this kind of behavior embarassing for a motherboard manufacturer.

1 Like

yeah I wrote them last week to say that I couldnt do a fresh install of Fedora 30 and mentioned agesa… they didnt reply to that statement.

I also wrote them to tell them that the IPMI port stops responding to pings (webgui is down) after about a week of uptime. (running proxmox). The OS can see the ipmi device if you run: ip link or ifconfig

So maybe the OS is causing the ipmi to stop responding… idk
Because if it power it off. IPMI webgui starts working again.

Is it possible to use the aspeed vga controller for the host os (centos 8 or fed 30) and a gpu for guest vm? I’m going to give this a go just thought i would ask here first.
cheers

edit…Ok looks like i’m getting the pci header 127 error. I guess the 3.x bios is broken for pci passthrough.
Tried this on 3.20 and 3.10

edit
So i reverted the bios to 1.50 through dos and pci (gpu) passthrough is functioning as expected.

Ok, so I just learned a bit more… There is actually a Graphics Driver for this mobo. The graphics card is integrated in the BMC chip, which is an Aspeed AST2500 and you can find Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, etc drivers for it @ https://www.aspeedtech.com/support.php

They don’t solve my issue with the Ryzen Master software though.

I’m also having trouble booting a Lubuntu USB stick with this Mobo. One issue is that the graphics driver probably missing, but I think I managed to get past that issue by adding nouveau.modeset=0 to the bootstring. But now it gets stuck on other issues :confused:

Not much seems to work :wink:

Has anyone got an easy solution or know which Linux flavor does easily boot with the mobo? ( I just want to do some memtesting on Linux)

Looks like you need the BIOS with the agesa ABBA fix

Write to ASRock rack support and tell them your issue.

1 Like

The work around is to do the install on another machine and then connect the drive to the x470d4u MB

I managed to downgrade to 1.50 from 3.10 using the bootable dos usb method.
This got rid of the pci header 127 error and gpu passthrough is working.
Thanks.
-s

They really should get a rep on the forum @wendell you able to see if that is something we could get or if they do that type of stuff. I have seen vendors do that before (not tech)

2 Likes

Thanks nx2l! Which line in the output makes you conclude this?

I just mailed someone from Asrock Rack (probably sales) who did reply to me in the past… She’s on holiday though, so it might take awhile…

I got the impression that Wendell has forsaken us AM4 plebs since he is still bathing in the afterglow of Epyc 7002’s love-making.

2 Likes

na he probably uses almost all of the modern sockets regularly I would bet

1 Like

Wouldn’t be so sure about that:

I wouldn’t call that reaction genuinely engaged…

Would have thought that anyone that’s also interested in SOHO storage/server use would be as giddy as a little child on Christmas when an AM4 solution with “proper” KVM IPMI has finally been available for purchase.

At least I was, after very shitty experiences with Spectre/Meltdown BIOS updates on my previous home server.

I didn’t even consider that there could be shittier BIOS quality/support than Intel’s on its own motherboard (S1200SPLR), but ASRock Rack really took the first place.

I use serial console into a router for most things and it’s probably better than a shoddy ipmi in a lot of cases.

It is true I’ve gotten used to the kick-ass ipmi ast gigabyte offers either Ami or their white label +opembmc and often the bmc isn’t as good on cheaper platforms so I live with serial console. The only thing you lose is the ability to remote power cycle but you can do that with some cast off apc gear so… again not much is lost.

The pcie layout on the asrock board is pretty good but the m.2 slots are severely gimped so…

The epyc 8 core plus a cheap ipmi epyc board isn’t that much more if you really need the features. The taichi x470 plus serial console already has 5 9s for me the last year so… I think the sales of this am4 product have been less than stellar would be my guess

It is neat and was an impulse buy for me but if you got a refund and haven’t rebought yet.

2 Likes