ASRock Rack has created the first AM4 socket server boards, X470D4U, X470D4U2-2T

Negative I’m only running U2. I don’t have time to dick around with U3 yet I have some car issues that are eating up my spare time.

Did you load it from the image or do it via an update from ssh? I’ve heard the latter has better luck with updates. I would suggest loading U2 and then going to U3.

I also needed to disable a lot of legacy settings in my BIOS just to get U2 to work.

Good luck.

1 Like

I’ve tried the current 6.7 U3 setup iso. Will try to get an U2 one.

No word from ASRock Rack so far when a BIOS with AGESA 1003 ABB or newer is really available so the random numbers generator bug would be fixed.

Yesterday they sent a message saying 3.10/3.11 already had AGESA 1003 ABB which is clearly incorrect (Fedora 30 also doesn’t boot).

It seems did not hit this issue because I went with a r7-2700 in my x470d4u MB, I have a 3700x now, but its in a B450M-HDV R4 motherboard.

Availability of this board in Europe has practically disappeared. A few weeks ago there were like 10 vendors who sold the board. Yesterday it was 3, today there is 1 (probably not current). I wonder if the source has stopped selling them due to high rates of return or if they’re waiting for an updated version. Anyway, something seems to have changed, at least in Europe.

@ aBav.Normie-Pleb, how to overclock your memory? I got my 4 of M391A4G43MB1-CTDQ today, and they are default running at 2400

@Huang_wei

In BIOS there are 2 separate ways to get to the memory settings.

Although these 2 ways should lead to the very same “folders” and settings, changes done via the first way don’t show up if you access the settings via the second way.

I don’t know if this is really necessary but I use both ways, one after the other and change the “same” settings to the very same values each time.

First way:

BIOS -> Advanced -> AMD CBS -> UMC Common Options -> DDR4 Common Options -> DRAM Timing Configuration -> (Accept the risks to access menu) -> Memory Clock Speed: From “Auto” to 1333MHz for DDR4-2666, for example.

Second way:

BIOS -> Advanced -> AMD Overclocking -> (Accept the risks to access menu) -> DDR and Infinity Fabric Frequency/Timings -> DDR Frequency and Timings -> DRAM Timing Configuration

My four M391A4G43MB1-CTD get automatically set to DDR4-2400 after a CMOS Reset or “Auto” settings, too.

2 Likes

thanks for your detailed explanation

Just wondering what those cost you found some for like $250

Since they became available again In Germany late July the lowest price is around EUR 196 apiece (including sales taxes).

Still haven’t had any stability issues with them but I am really pissed that ASRock Rack hasn’t released a BIOS with AGESA 1003 ABB yet since I initially bought the X40D4U/3700X for the potential use with ESXi and now I can’t do anything but wait for ASRock Rack to make a move.

I’m even doubly pissed that they have ceased replying to found issues/bugs since late July/early August.

:frowning:

2 Likes

PSA: BIOS 3.20 has been released.

https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X470D4U#Download

1. Update Console Redirection function
  2. Improve M.2 compatibility
  3. Update Secure Boot
2 Likes

Fedora 30 stilll doesn’t boot with BIOS 3.20 so still no AGESA 1003 ABB :frowning:

2 Likes

Do you have a 2nd gen ryzen to test fedora 30 with?

Since the RDRAND issue is a known firmware bug for all Zen 2 Ryzen 3000 what would be the point of that?

Additionally, the only Zen+ part I have right now is the 4C/4T 3200G and that level of “performance” combined with only 8 CPU PCIe lanes would negate any use for me anyway even if it booted fine with that CPU :wink:

If the same issue happens with the 2nd gen… then that would point to a bigger issue.

Since ESXi (as a more obvious example, compared to Fedora 30) is basically shouting “Memememememe, hardware for random numbers is broken!” into my face, I’m pretty confident that it’s the known RDRAND firmware issue regarding Zen 2.

I’ve become a bit uncertain about pointing fingers at an exact reason for issue xyz after the sh** I had experienced with an ASRock X570 Taichi and Thunderbolt but @wendell also seems sure that it’s that RDRAND bug:

That’s a feature of Ryzen for additional headroom for XFR. The sensors report higher temps so the fans spin up earlier resulting in more headroom for XFR to boost up. While software monitoring adjusts for this, hardware is supposed not to.

That wouldn’t have the same effect since the CPU would throttle earlier with this while they can actually take more.

This is also a well documented thing since Ryzen 1000 so you can read up on it on any number of websites.

Anyway, tagging this thread since I’m curious if there’s any changes so far…

(Trumpy) “Believe me!”, if there is any update about it, especially regarding issues that are already documented in this thread, I’m even gonna continue a monolog here :wink:

So far, nothing new, nor responses from either ASRock Rack or Seasonic for almost two months.

I built my little ESXi box with it and now it’s just collecting dust since I honestly didn’t think ASRock Rack would lag two (!) publicly released AGESA versions behind the other manufacturers.

2 Likes

Just found one on Newegg for $250 so I ordered it… Going to use it with my 3700x to see if I have the same issue as you

4 Likes

Good luck!

And may God have mercy on your soul.

1 Like

no mercy was shown

I have just now tested my 3700x CPU with the currently available BIOs (v3.20) … and it did not boot(no video was displayed, cant even get into the BIOs). also tried 3.10 which was first to “support” 7nm ryzen.

Emailing asrock support now.