ASRock Rack has created the first AM4 socket server boards, X470D4U, X470D4U2-2T

going with the 10G version of the x470d4u will turn the PCIE5 into a 2.0 x1 slot.

1 Like

Ah, well that stinks. Looks like I’m kinda boned then on my plans.

I don’t HAVE to have 10Gb it just was something I had been planning to do if/when I upgraded.

Would rather just have the Nvidia GPU then and run the 2 x 1 Gbe ports as a LAG.

I’m not in a hurry as long as I do something by end of the year… is there anything else on the horizon worth considering? I had been ready to pull the trigger on a Dell R430/R440 with a v4 Intel CPU before the new Ryzen hit the market.

Hi @jmpage2

It’s nice to see that this mATX board is drawing new users in :slight_smile:
Maybe @wendell can assist in troubleshooting this board somehow in cooperation with ASRock Rack and Seasonic.

Regarding your plans:

I’m going to test a similar setup (once the PSU issues are cleared up, right now I’m a little paranoid that somehow components I plug in will get damaged), my intended configuration is:

• PCIe slot 6, running at 3.0 x8: Broadcom HBA 9400 SAS/SATA/NVMe

• PCIe slot 5, running at 3.0 x4: Quadro P2000 for VM passthrough

• PCIe slot 4, running at 3.0 x8: Intel XL710 QDA2 Dual Port 40 GbE

• M2_1, running at 2.0 x4: Sonnet Fresco Logic 4 x USB 3.0 controllers on a single AIC (via M.2-to-PCIe Adapter) for VM passthrough

I would not recommend the X470D4U2-2T variant with built-in 10 GbE either since they cut away the two 1 GbE ports (always nice to have additional ports) and as mentioned the PCIe slot 5 (3.0 x4) unfortunately gets displaced for that.

Instead I would get a Supermicro AOC-STGS-i2T, that card also uses an Intel X550-AT2 chipset (firmware can be updated with the packages by Intel itself, no need to wait for Supermicro releases) and it’s one of the very few Dual 10 GbE X550 cards that use a mechanical PCIe 3.0 x4 interface, not PCIe 3.0 x8, so you are more flexible in possible future setups (PCIe 3.0 x8 is absolutely unnecessary for dual 10 GbE).

Hope this helps!

Greetings @aBav.Normie-Pleb !

See, I didn’t realize that you could run slot 5 at 3.0 x4 and I didn’t recall the P400 I was looking at as being compatible with the smaller type card slot so suddenly things are looking a bit rosier for me!

It definitely sounds like you’re going down a similar path to me so I’m going to stay apprised of your results.

Right now I can get a factory outlet Dell R440 server with a Xeon Silver 4110 CPU, 8x2.5 hot plug w H330, 64Gb of RAM, etc… for about $1700 and it has a warranty. The 64Gb of 2666mhz ECC RAM alone is worth about $500 or more.

Overkill for a home lab? Maybe… I am a sucker though for factory server setups that are small and quiet enough to use in the home (I put a T430 and R330 in my wife’s business last year and they are great platforms)…

I had thought my need to run a passthrough GPU would rule the R430/440 out but apparently some guy has got one working with the P400 so it is possible I guess.

If only the Ryzen didn’t completely smoke it!

The Ryzen setup won’t be worth it for me if it isn’t rock solid. The server I am building will replace one that runs services for family use (Plex, security surveillance, Linux appliances, etc.) and it needs to be absolutely rock solid to keep the family happy.

I am coming from a small Intel system (C236/E3-Kaby Lake Xeon 4C/8T) and ever since the Meltdown/Spectre uodates began to roll out stability and loss of performance when using VMs have been serious issues.

So I was hoping to get anustart with Zen 2, found the only board that can house everything I require and of course its BIOS must be messed up :wink:

The PCIe slots of the ASRock X470D4U are “open-ended” meaning you can fit mechanical x16 AICs in every PCIe slot and only the link bandwith will depend on the specific slot and platform PCIe lane configuration.

That was another nice feature that led me to this motherboard model.

Since I’m stuck at the ASRock X570 Taichi’s Thunderbolt 3/USB-C/DP Hotplugging issues I try to advance things at the ASRock Rack X470D4U’s PSU CPU_PROCHOT front.

Let’s make a list which PSUs are OK and which cause trouble!

If I read this thread correctly:

1. Always causing CPU_PROCHOT (system unusably slow): Seasonic G-450 (tested by @aBav.Normie-Pleb), SS-650KM (tested by @osrk )

2. Temporarily causing CPU_PROCHOT (CPU_PROCHOT triggers during boot sequence for a short while then reverts back and system operates normally): Seasonic PRIME Ultra Titanium 850W SSR-850TR (tested by @aBav.Normie-Pleb )

3. Not causing CPU_PROCHOT at all: Seasonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 550 (tested by @aBav.Normie-Pleb )/650 W (tested by @osrk ), Corsair RM Series RM550 550W (tested by @nx2l)

Did I forget anyone? My head is a little spinning from the Thunderbolt-troubleshooting that didn’t lead to progress :-/

Radio silence from ASRock Rack since I gave them feedback that L3.11 is messed up in multiple ways.
Seasonic gave the impression that they are going to investigate further.

1 Like

The MBs are still 270 on Amazon… I’ve thought about getting another but no idea what to do with it…

I still have to pick which firmware to jump up to… Sounds like they all have problems :frowning: might stay on 1.50 for a while

1 Like

L3.09 is quite OK if CPU_PROCHOT is not an issue for you!

1 Like

I am wavering guys.

There is a scratch & dent Dell R440 on the Dell outlet site.

Silver 4114
10Gb Intel 2xSFP+ NIC
64Gb 2666 RAM
1.2TB 10K SAS (would ditch this)
PERC H330
8x2.5 hot plug bays
Dual hot plug 550W power supplies.
Has a 3 year warranty.

It’s about $1950 with discounts. More than I wanted to spend but no dealing with teething headaches with a new platform either.

ugh got my issues with 3.04 resolved (needed to clear BIOS). Now ESXI is hanging on install. It cannot get past initializing storage stack

Trying to get esxi 6.7 u2 installed. Worked fine on the 1xx BIOS no dice on the 3.04

Also you cannot flash from a 3 series bios to a 1 series I already asked

There used to be a trick I discovered a long time ago… no idea if it still works.

setup your ESXi install in a VM or on another machine that works… then try booting the original machine from the drive/usb.

This thread is literally a masterpiece of troubleshooting this board at this point.

If you want to install EXSI 6.7 Ux (idk infinity hd?) you need to disable CSM (which disables legacy support for booting). This will ensure you are booting from a UEFI device. I even tried to boot straight from a UEFI device without disabling CSM and that did not work.

1 Like

That’s funny to me since in my experience it was usually the other way around (UEFI booting had issues, Legacy/MBR none).

Question:

If…

• You don’t need support for a boot driver larger than 2 TiB
  • No need for “fast” boot

Is there any point in using UEFI boot? Like performance-wise in any scenario (VMs?/PCIe Passthrough?)?

My tum-tum dislikes it when the OS has “more” access to the BIOS/UEFI since I have the fantasy that this might be exploitable for malware to place itself on the BIOS flash chip and is so able to survive disk erase.

Or does this not matter at all since Legacy is just an UEFI with a CSM slapped on top and in both configurations the OS has equally extensive access to the UEFI?

Also, I’d call this thread a success if “we” can really fix the motherboard’s UEFI since the manufacturer’s development team seems to have its priorities elsewhere :frowning:

Ended up sticking a Noctua NH-U9S on my board. So um be damn careful with coolers, very little room between the bracket and RAM slot A2.

On a side note, the cooler does fit and it does work it’s just damn tight, also air flow is a bit iffy for a rack but oh well. Ignore the rats nest of cables :laughing:.

2 Likes

If you were to use the short connector bridges from the mounting hardware, the cooler would be turned 90° making it work with the airflow of the case.

1 Like

Huh, good to know. The cooler didn’t have those shorter ones in the box but I’ll find out if I can get them.

guys, I got my X470D4U2-2T last week, today I start to build it with 3700x. I update Bios to 3.02 using IPMI, but system do not post at all with only CPU and Ram, even the dr.debug led is not lighting, I’m not sure if it is normal, any suggestion on how to debug it?

@aBav.Normie-Pleb, is you debug LED lighting up when the PSU connected to power, my seller said it should be lighting up when PSU is connect to the power

@Huang_wei

No, the Debug LED is not lighting up by just connecting power to the PSU. However two green LEDs on the motherboard should light up and after a while one starts blinking.

The Debug LED only lights up when the system is properly powered on.

Note: I have only the non-2T version of the motherboard but I don’t see any reason why this behavior should change.

Important note: Be aware that CPU fan control is broken in the public BIOS 3.04 (compare the postings in this thread), I would contact ASRock Rack support and get version 3.09, NOT 3.11)

Regarding troubleshooting:

After the BIOS flash process I’d use the IPMI to reset everything to factory default settings and after that re-flash BIOS and the BMC firmware - maybe another factory default settings reset after that.

Over many years I’ve seen weird BIOS issues and sometimes it helped to re-flash the same BIOS version twice in a row with a factory/CMOS reset between the flash processes, so now I always do it this way to avoid potential trouble from even surfacing.

This helped me once when for unkown reason the motherboard would not boot properly.

thanks , then it might not my PSU issue, I do have 2 green LED light up as you said, I will try to use IPMI to reset everything to factory default setting tomorrow to see if it can help, again, thanks for your help

1 Like