ASRock Rack has created the first AM4 socket server boards, X470D4U, X470D4U2-2T

Yep but add in the cost of the TR4 CPU’s and TDP… Here in Aus I can get a 1900X for $469 or a R7 2700 for $445 but… there’s a 115w TDP difference between them.

Most TR4 boards start at $400 here as well so for me it still works out cheaper going this AM4 server board, not to mention is has the ASPEED AST2500 graphic chip on the board so no need for a GPU or APU.

2 Likes

Just ordered my board, the board it’s self was $418 AUD from Wireless Professional Solutions plus $14 shipping. I could’ve waited and gotten it from Newegg $30 cheaper but I’m impatient.

Gonna be pairing it with an R7 2700, Crucial CT16G4WFD8266 ECC RAM & a WD Green 120GB M.2.

If all goes well and it’s stable for a few months I’ll buy the exact same parts and stick it in my NAS which is running FreeNAS.

This will cost cents to barely a few dollars extra to run over a year, so not really an extra cost to worry about. The GPU you use will have a bigger impact.

Fold on it for a year and tell me how many few extra dollars it cost :wink:.

If I ran a 180w CPU 100% for a year my power bill would be easily $100 extra per month if not more so I’ll personally stick to a 65w chip.

1 Like

Oh yeah… Server board. Whoops sorry. Still in home gamer mode.

1 Like

Means the 65W CPU costs $37 per month to run?

There’s a 115w difference between a 2700 & any Threadripper or Epyc CPU, running folding 24/7 that’s a lot of power and when you pay almost 30 cents per killawatt… yeah a 65w is much cheaper to run which is why I would take it over a Threadripper or Epyc, not to mention the cost of the actual hardware.

TR 1900X - 8c/16t, 4 memory channels, 64-pcie lanes = 180W TDP

Ryzen 1700 - 8c/16t, 2 memory channels, 20-pcie lanes = 65W TDP

You really want to tell me that 2 memory channels and 44-pcie lanes require 115W more cooling performance?!

2 packages vs 1

1 Like

it’s all about the chiplets. evidently the I/O / infinity fabric / DRAM controller chiplet is power-hungry too.

1 Like

They certainly need power, but not nearly as much as the 8 cores (or even more than the cores).
The 2950X (16c/32t) is also 180W TDP, by your logic it would be a 250W TDP CPU (wich it isn’t).
The powerdraw difference between Ryzen1700 and TR1900 is 30W at most.

err, I said nothing about relative power requirements of different kinds of chiplets (which vary depending on types of load). Also, your math is too simplistic and makes some wrong assumptions across different architecture types. Anyway, it’s all interesting to speculate! :slight_smile:

TDP is not power requirement in the first place, frankly, it is meaningless.

The initial statement was:

To wich was added:

Wich works out like this:

180W = $100/month
65/180 = 0.361
$100/month * 0.361 = 36.1$ per month to run

Architecture is not interesting, if 2 memory controllers and 44PCIe lanes generated 115W waste heat, then Epyc would be uncoolable.

@MisteryAngel @Goalkeeper There are some posts here wich should be moved in a new thread, call it “Zen TDP discussion” or so.

TDP is indeed thermal design power, a number measured in Watts,
on which your cooling device should be capable to dissipate from the die,
running it at stock out of the box.
Although it is kinda related to TPD (total power draw), but it’s not the same thing.

But yeah kinda offtopic indeed maybe.

So to all lets stay with the original topic,
and discuss about this board and its platform.
The thing that personally interests me is the interconnect situation on this platform,
Allot of the aio stuff directly connected to the pci-e bus.

1 Like

actually on both sides (my example is intel) the TDP isnt related to the TPD at all anymore

1 Like

Oh my god stop talking about power draw. This thread is about the board. Please keep it on topic.

I asked for this to get moved to its own thread.
@Goalkeeper maybe make this TDP and powerdraw talk a seperate threat?

Any news on when this will be available through retail channels in the UK?

You can contact ASRock and they’ll tell you, it’s what I did to find out when it was in Aus, already got mine ordered now just waiting.

There are no official retailers for the board in Europe yet but you can contact ASRack directly to get your hands on one. I’m not sure about VAT or taxes so your pricing may vary.