ASRock Rack has created the first AM4 socket server boards, X470D4U, X470D4U2-2T

PSA: BIOS 3.20 has been released.

https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X470D4U#Download

1. Update Console Redirection function
  2. Improve M.2 compatibility
  3. Update Secure Boot
2 Likes

Fedora 30 stilll doesn’t boot with BIOS 3.20 so still no AGESA 1003 ABB :frowning:

2 Likes

Do you have a 2nd gen ryzen to test fedora 30 with?

Since the RDRAND issue is a known firmware bug for all Zen 2 Ryzen 3000 what would be the point of that?

Additionally, the only Zen+ part I have right now is the 4C/4T 3200G and that level of “performance” combined with only 8 CPU PCIe lanes would negate any use for me anyway even if it booted fine with that CPU :wink:

If the same issue happens with the 2nd gen… then that would point to a bigger issue.

Since ESXi (as a more obvious example, compared to Fedora 30) is basically shouting “Memememememe, hardware for random numbers is broken!” into my face, I’m pretty confident that it’s the known RDRAND firmware issue regarding Zen 2.

I’ve become a bit uncertain about pointing fingers at an exact reason for issue xyz after the sh** I had experienced with an ASRock X570 Taichi and Thunderbolt but @wendell also seems sure that it’s that RDRAND bug:

That’s a feature of Ryzen for additional headroom for XFR. The sensors report higher temps so the fans spin up earlier resulting in more headroom for XFR to boost up. While software monitoring adjusts for this, hardware is supposed not to.

That wouldn’t have the same effect since the CPU would throttle earlier with this while they can actually take more.

This is also a well documented thing since Ryzen 1000 so you can read up on it on any number of websites.

Anyway, tagging this thread since I’m curious if there’s any changes so far…

(Trumpy) “Believe me!”, if there is any update about it, especially regarding issues that are already documented in this thread, I’m even gonna continue a monolog here :wink:

So far, nothing new, nor responses from either ASRock Rack or Seasonic for almost two months.

I built my little ESXi box with it and now it’s just collecting dust since I honestly didn’t think ASRock Rack would lag two (!) publicly released AGESA versions behind the other manufacturers.

2 Likes

Just found one on Newegg for $250 so I ordered it… Going to use it with my 3700x to see if I have the same issue as you

4 Likes

Good luck!

And may God have mercy on your soul.

1 Like

no mercy was shown

I have just now tested my 3700x CPU with the currently available BIOs (v3.20) … and it did not boot(no video was displayed, cant even get into the BIOs). also tried 3.10 which was first to “support” 7nm ryzen.

Emailing asrock support now.

That sounds like a “somehow crashed” BMC. The only thing that seems to work then is to unplug the power supply, physically remove the CMOS battery, wait for while (eat lunch etc.) and then reseat/reconnect everything. Just using the CMOS clear jumper doesn’t seem to be enough.

Then reflash the BMC and BIOS with the same versions via IPMI and do not (!) keep the existing configurations. After that it should post again with graphical output.

It could also help to use the KVM graphical output and not a physically connected display until it behaves “normally” again consistently.

Good luck with ASRock Rack’s support, as mentioned they don’t even respond to me anymore.

(edits due to mixed up languages - doing too many things simultaneously and began to type phonetically :wink: )

BMC was fine… I flashed it last night to 3.1 then 3.2 while I had my 200GE installed… it ran all night just fine.

This morning I put the 3700x in… no video/boot so went back to BIOS v3.10 and tried again… no video/boot.

I can try installing the 200GE again to double check I didnt brick anything, but with the 3700x installed, I am able to see sensors/logs, power it off & on in the IPMI.

Have you tried the suggested method with the removal of the CMOS battery and cutting power to the PSU?

Do you get a graphical outout on the “Remote Control” KVM after the battery removal stuff with a motherboard + CPU + RAM only after powering on the system (disconnect any physically connected display)?

ill have to try that tonight

I didnt even have a display connected until I wasnt getting any video over the KVM (after the 3700x install this morning)

the monitor just stayed asleep the whole time.

Yes that sounds vaguely familiar. I think I experienced something like that when I switched from the 2600X I had on load for a while prior to the Ryzen 3000 launch the first time I tried to power on the motherboard with a 3700X.

My “gut feeling” suggests that a part of the BMC crashes somehow that requires a complete separation from any power source (PSU/CMOS battery).

I think another user experienced something similar, too.

1 Like

Where did you connect the display. Just wondering if this is a situation where you need a dummy plug inserted to get anything

the only video out on the MB is VGA

Alright, I assumed as much but had to verify :wink:

1 Like

This is basically what tech support just responded and told me to try.