ASRock Rack has created the first AM4 socket server boards, X470D4U, X470D4U2-2T

Kind of hilarious: After a couple of CMOS clears, reboots and various GPU swaps the board started to boot predictably - however the two I210 NICs don’t show up in the OS (just a quick Win 10 1903 setup since I don’t have much Linux experience), anything regarding “LAN” in the UEFI is enabled.

Additionally two system devices cannot be launched in device manager, maybe these are the phantom NICs that are misidentified.

After a few more Clear CMOS times now the I210s show up properly and these other two “phantom devices” disappeared.

Amendment

To anybody setting up this motherboard I can only strongly recommend using the KVM-enabled IPMI. That thing works like a charm so far.

No idea how you can properly set it up without IPMI since in my case there is no pattern when you’ll see an image output before an OS is fully booted.

My 3700X order has been confirmed, should be able to report on its behavior in the X470D4U in the near future.

Does anybody know if there is a manufacturing issue with 32 GB ECC UDIMM sticks? In Europe/Germany the Samsung model had been available for a short while, however now it completely vanished from retailer listings.

2 Likes

No clue on the ECC issue. I haven’t been in the market for UDIMMS in months. Let me know how things work out with the 3000 series. I’m considering upgrading to a 3800X from a 1700X.

It must have been a popular MB because the past few months it’s been out of stock and then a couple weeks ago the price jumped from 260 to 359

Yep. I said as such in another thread. ASRock is coming out with a refresh that has 10GbE so maybe the used market will get dumped for the upgrade. I guess we will have to see though

2 Likes

Encountered a great energy saving feature:

No idea what is causing this, via the IMPI you get a “CPU_PROCHOT” with “State Asserted”.

The open table/test bench PSU is a Seasonic G450 that works fine with an X99 motherboard with a WX 8200 (Vega 56) GPU.

The 2600X used in the X470D4U is cooled by a Noctua U9S so there shouldn’t be anything causing throttling (default BIOS CPU settings, no OC/XFR et al. enabled)

I posted this in another topic, but I see this was the place to ask it actually…

I am confused about the motherboard.
It is mentioned in reviews that the new Ryzen processors work best with a memory speed of 3200 to 3733Ghz.
But the ASRock X470 only supports up to 2667 and that is running with one 1 DIMM.
So what is the memory configuration you should put in if you want optimal performance but also want the full 64GB.
And also what is the performance compared to a X570 board, is it a big performance hit?

Looking into using the board for some VM’s we are running.
2x Database servers
and some minor services

I got 4 16 DDR4-2400 ECC UDIMM sticks that ran immediately with 2400 MHz like their JEDEC details suggest, with a 2600X.

(But my system behaves quite strangely even with only one DIMM installed so maybe I got a defective part - shit happens)

You can fully adjust DRAM speed and timings manually, these settings aren’t hidden in any way (like with many other server/workstation parts).

This board was designed with Ryzen 2000 in mind, not Ryzen 3000 that increases the supported memory speed. But since the CPU IMC is the limiting factor of previous Ryzen generations I’m somewhat optimistic that you can aim at DDR4-3200 quite realistically.

Although there aren’t any ECC UDIMM sticks yet rated at that speed…

What is the max size per slot the board can handle?

I read in another thread that the Kingston modules easily overclock to 3400/3600

The UEFI allows the user to select up to 2100 (= DDR4-4200). However you should know what you are doing since you’d have to adjust additional values manually to get optimal performance.

Kingston depends, they mostly use Micron DRAM chips (some newer ones are supposed to be quite good).

However if you want ECC Unbuffered DIMMs I would get sticks by Crucial or Samsung (= DRAM chip manufacturers) and not a mere branding company like Kingston.

Since Kingston also sells non-ECC OC sticks they bin the DRAM chips they get from Micron et al. and put the good stuff on their ultra hyper xyz models and the rest that barely passes QC gets used for standard JEDEC sticks (like ECC UDIMM).

The DRAM chips on sticks by Samsung itself are not binned which means if you get ECC UDIMM DDR4-2667/2933 there is a chance that you’ll get quite good ones that can handle OC well.

If you would like to do some more RAM overclocking, try using this calculator for settings. The BIOS appears to have just about all the DRAM settings you’d need to adjust outside of voltages. https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ryzen-dram-calculator/

The weird CPU_PROCHOT throttling to 550 MHz issue appears as soon as Windows is bootet up for the first time after a clean installation :-/

Still waiting for my 3700X so I can’t cross-check if the motherboard or CPU is faulty.

I’m getting the same alert in the IPMI web page. Not sure if it’s throttling. I’m loading windows to see, I had been using ESXI and the boot time was extremely slow. I haven’t benchmarked anything but i will because I saw that you’re seeing throttling which is worrying.

I’m running it with a 2700X and a 240mm Corsair AIO. It is not a heat issue. You might want to shoot an email to Asrock Rack support. They’re generally very good compared to AsRock.

1 Like

That sounds “promising” (or at least points to a firmware issue so RMA-ing might not be necessary).

UEFI version does not matter either (tested 1.50 and 3.04).

I remember seeing the error on the initial BIOS too. I was reviewing the logs and it even asserts itself when the machine is off, which is odd. Windows is taking forever because i’m loading it over the KVM but i’ll let you know.

2 Likes

Are you using Windows as the main OS? I’m using Proxmox for my Hypervisor and didn’t run into this problem. I have two WS2018 vms that aren’t giving me this either.

EDIT: Also welcome @osrk to the forum!

How is ESXI on the Ryzen platform?
What version are you running?

Same issue, stuck at 0.52GHZ all cores in windows. I’m working on the solution now. This explains why ESXI was so slow.

Yes but ESXI was also slow, so it was happening all the time.