ASRock Phantom Gaming (ASRock GPUs)

Could we not? Thanks.

3 Likes

AMD cards seem to “age” better than Nvidia cards. It’s probably mostly driver shenanigans, but it seems like the Red Team cards maintain performance viability for longer than others. If that makes any sense.

I have an HD 6950 laying around and I have a feeling it could probably still perform reasonably well.

3 Likes

This is going to be really neat. It’s about time ASRock got into the AIB card business. MSI, Asus and Gigabyte have been doing it for the better part of a decade.

I want a Tai Chi GPU. Those would be very sexy cards, I’m sure.

2 Likes

Once GCN rolled around with the 7000 series, we’ve had respectable capabilities from almost every card in that architecture pretty much across the board. 7770s are still pretty decent entry-level cards, sip power through a straw and have supported driving 4K monitors from the get-go. Perfect for HTPCs and Source Engine/Minecraft machines for kids. GCN has been really impressive as far as longevity goes.

1 Like

Wasn’t there a 7000-series card that was very good for computing? HD 7870 or something?

From what I understand GCN 1.0 is still used in the Radeon 520 or somesuch.

Anyways, I don’t care for the Taichi aesthetics, but putting a nice VRM like the one on the X370 Taichi onto a GPU would be great. Obviously the silicon lottery would still be a thing, but a rock solid VRM implementation would make for great overclocking.

1 Like

Yep. Tahiti cards (7950, 7970 and 7990) are legendary at FP64 because the ratio is 1:4, which for a consumer card is

Even a 1080ti can’t touch it.

Not really. It’s just at launch they are so gimped by drivers that it makes them appear like they are aging better simply because more performance is being revealed. While more performance is better no doubt, such things shouldn’t be happening. The card should be performing as best as it possibly can from day one. “Finewine” is just an excuse for poor day 1 performance.

Also, it’s mainly because Kepler was so bad. Game design changed to stuff GCN was better at. So Kepler aged poorly but Maxwell hasn’t because it’s significantly different. 900 series has aged fine really.

Also, the Fury really hasn’t aged well at all. [Apparent] Lack of driver support and 4GB of VRAM means a 580 is faster in a lot of games these days.

Some people may be triggered but I’m just gonna come out and say it. Fury was a bad card. It was horribly unbalanced in design, used too much power, was too expensive and hasn’t aged well. It was an HBM tech demo (with, ironically, a terrible HBM controller) and that’s about it

Umm no. The 1070 is generally quite a bit faster across the board. There are one or two outliers where Fury comes close but they are the exception and the limited VRAM and power consumption made Fury a relatively poor choice in comparison to a 1070 by that time. It made more sense, IMO, to buy those cheap Furies for people who were cross shopping 480s and 1060s.

2 Likes

Aww I liked your response you shoulda kept it.

Fury was cool, sure, but its kinda useless now.

Having a fury now Vs having only 2GG VRAM
no brainer for the fury

I as well liked the post.

I have since reinstated said post.

I’m just trying to avoid drama.

In the past I have leveled criticism at AMD and it makes people really upset for whatever reason. I also take serious issue with the idea that some people insinuate that the only reason people buy nVidia cards is because they are dumb and don’t know the undying splendor of AMD GPUs. No. nVidia makes good products. Sometimes things are popular because they are good… Both vendors have pros and cons. At the end of the day, it is what you personally need/want in a card that should influence your purchase. Too much fanboyism from both sides.

Getting back on topic:

I’m pretty excited to see AsRock entering the GPU market. Sapphire has really stagnated a bit and XFX has as well so it will be nice to see a new competitor for the AMD AIB market. With the support AsRock has shown Ryzen, making arguably some of the best AM4 and TR4 motherboards, I have no doubt they could deliver a very compelling GPU.

Curious as to what they launch with. I’m assuming probably 580/570s to begin with. With Vega in such short supply and being relatively low margin, I don’t see that as a first choice.

Also with nothing from AMD on the roadmap for a year or so more now there aren’t any other options really.

1 Like

The 7870XT was also a Tahiti based card by the way.
Unlike the the normal 7870 and 7850 which are pitcarn.

Lateron AMD rebranded those 2 chips into the 280X and 270X.

Actually…
7850=270
7870=270X
7950=280
7970=280X…
AMD trivia…

2 Likes

https://techreport.com/news/33437/asrock-joins-graphics-card-market-with-phantom-gaming-radeon-series

1 Like

https://www.asrock.com/microsite/PhantomVGA/

1 Like

I was just about to post that…
BTW, have you noticed how much those look like the low end RX460 models from Sapphire?

I can’t wait for the prices to normalize and for me to have an ASRock GPU and Board combo…

1 Like

Strategic partnership?

I’m pretty interested in seeing what their cards are upto.
And of course pcb overlook.

On linux a Fury is one of the best cards to have right now.

1 Like

Is it better than a 580? I know it has good OGL performance and good compute but past that I can’t see it being great for rendering video. Plus the support is kinda meh.