ASRock DeskMini GTX/RX Review + Linux Test | Level One Techs

Yes! It appears the IOMMU with this is good, and you can do vfio with it! Full video on our linux channel soon.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://level1techs.com/video/asrock-deskmini-gtxrx-review-linux-test

I was hoping to use one of these in a OBS DSK workflow with a Blackmagic ATEM.

The theory is you have 2 fullscreen projectors, one outputting fill and one outputting key. By using a DP to HDMI on the full-size port and using the GTX 1060’s HDMI, you have 2 outputs, 1 fill and 1 key to the ATEM switcher. The ATEM switcher then sees the key as the alpha channel and mixes the 2 projector outputs together.

Think of Fill as the contents of the image and the Key as the alpha channel. When and if OBS decides to do that, this machine would be a perfect DSK (Downstream Keyer) for broadcast in combination with OBS. DSKs handle lower thirds, graphics, and other stuff in live production.

11.75 A power brick? Holy hell. My laptops 11.5 A brick pales in comparison :smiley:

1 Like

Damn, damnit all!

I saw these when they were first announced and shown off at a tech show. I was looking to build an ultra portable laptop replacement. I looked into the Deskmini the socketable cpus was amazing, but the Gpu lacked. When they announced their GTX/RX version, I emailed them straight away. They said it would not be available until summer this year or something crazy. I wanted the RX480 version they advertised. I planned an entire system around it. But it would be too late.

So I bought an Intel Nuc 6i7KYK, a 6700HQ and Iris Pro 580 iGPU. Got second hand 8GB SO-DIMM RAM, Samsung 960 NVME. I tested and broke a crap touch screen from China, it was just not up to what I wanted. I got it working with a Steam Controller for the mouse and desktop controls. I got a Bluetooth keyboard (that I would still love stickers for). I recently got a new and very nice 13 inch tablet display from China, 2x HDMI, 1x Mini VGA, MiniDP. USB3-A and USB-C for power, buttons and on screen display config that is really very good.

So now I have every thing together and the Deskmini GTX/RX that I wanted in the beginning drops. Damn…

Oh well The Nuc is doing everything and more that I want of it and will be just fine for music production which is its final purpose on the go, like a super laptop replacement that can still easily fit in my backpack. All I need to do now is make a final stand for the screen and Nuc that I can fold up and put in my bag too. Thankfully I can build one in the workshop and finish it at home, so it will have a steel stand soon and be fully complete.

EDIT:

Yeah, the Nuc is only a 6.32 amp brick.

Also yeah, but the thing is I knew about this one first, this is the PC that started me on this route becoming a reality, but it bailed on my plans with no news or price. So I went for the next best thing. Which I am happy with just that eternal wanting knowing better exists.

1 Like

Well isn’t that just typical; you buy something and 6 months later something way more awesome hits the market :smiley:

1 Like

I have been using the previous version, the ASRock 110, as an impromptu media server and it’s been running great.
Will be looking into this one for the HTPC.

So wait… they will be releasing a Radeon version? :thinking:

1 Like

it is mxm… if there is a radeon mxm, it’ll work fine (presumably has to fit within mxm’s power budget… so dont expect a vega 56/64 any time soon… but an rx 570/580 with slight underclock may be doable?

I was just trying to figure out why it was called the RX without… anything RX in it? I don’t know where they’re getting it from I guess.

I can’t say I’m expecting MXM Radeon though, nary a peep that I’ve seen from the usual rumor mills.

eBay has some.older radeonsnin mxm format… which is neat

1 Like

Those are pretty cool, didn’t know those existed until now.

Le sigh…

what is the cheapest, absolutely low-end semi-decent GPU that has full, mainline support on Linux (without any binary blobs). Don’t need any games, but would be nice to use whatever gnome needs on a fedora machine (: Thanks Wendell

I think this computer is very nice too

2 x M.2 SSD Slots (Supports Type 2280/2260 M.2 PCIe Gen3 x4)

1 x M.2 SSD Slot (Supports Type 2280/2260 SATA 6Gb)

I like M.2 SSD because I guess that helps the computer be lighter. You could possibly throw it in a backpack and take back and forth between like home and school or home and work? I mean like the Samsung Note thing or the Continuum thing but you literally carry your computer with you and have a display, keyboard, and mouse everywhere and just carry your box… I am rambling.

Also what I find interesting is the pricing on the combos on Newegg

Let me know if I am reading this wrong but apparently Newegg will give you ten dollars for taking an i5-7400 off of their hands when you buy this system? Or I guess we can say the i5-7400 is the base, the i5-7500 is $10 more than that. i5-7600 is $30 more. $i7-7700 is $125 more. I thought that was interesting. What do you think of that?

Intel Core i5-7600 Kaby Lake Quad-Core 3.5 GHz LGA 1151 65W BX80677I57600 Desktop Processor $799.99

Intel Core i7-7700 Kaby Lake Quad-Core 3.6 GHz LGA 1151 65W BX80677I77700 Desktop Processor $894.99

Intel Core i5-7500 3.4 GHz LGA 1151 BX80677I57500 Desktop Processor $779.99

Intel Core i5-7400 Kaby Lake Quad-Core 3.0 GHz LGA 1151 65W BX80677I57400 Desktop Processor $769.99

So… like a laptop?

I wouldn’t be surprised if Newegg is just upcharging that much. Newegg is pretty notorious for price gouging on some products (like they had the 2400G at $30 over MSRP at launch even though other outlets were at MSRP). The open box price is also over $100 cheaper, so I bet Newegg has a very significant profit margin on the bare box.

1 Like

Rx550 is my gut instinct for some reasons but let me think about it

1 Like

They had announced it as coming with an MXM RX480 when they first showed it. It was not available at the time so the GTX came out first with more support.

So I guess now it will be 570 or 580 mxm cards in it now.

But didn’t Nvidia say they would discontinue this MXM form factor because of the insane binning they have to do.