Asrock boards

I switch back and forth, id say 50/50. My temps never go above 70c, and my voltage stays below 1.5v.

ASRock builds great boards. I have used 3 of their boards in the past year in builds, and everyone of them have had no issues.

As for the Killer, buy the Extreme6, Intel LAN, M.2 make it a better deal. It's a great clocker, can get my 4670k to 4.8GHz on water relatively stable for benchmarks. 4.6 daily driver, load temps under 70* prime, or 50* any other load

I don't agree. The Fatality 990FX board is pretty damn good, and the Extreme 9 or whatever it is has some of the best power circuitry of the lot

1000W psu is a bit overkill i think. especialy if you dont wanne go sli or crossfire, then its realy a waste.

For a single gpu setup a 550 / 650W is way enough.for dual gpu´s a 850W would be way enough.

As a motherboard there are tons of options, if you want sli or crossfire options then i would recommend to spend a littlebit more on a board.

1600 is included monitors? or just for the build?

yeah the extreme 6 is not a bad board with 6 powerphases indeed. To bad its not digi vrm, but still its not that bad.

i personaly like the Asus maximus VII Hero, true 8 phase board, digi vrm, great onboard audio, and intel lan.

But yeah these boards do cost a littlebit more offcourse.

You and me both ... truly a thing of beauty  ... did you see my post yesterday? They are giving one away with a Plextor M.2 .

missed that i suppose ☺

Just the build. I have separate budget for the monitors. If I don't use all the budget I am going to add it to my monitor budget

This is what i have so far...

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PkngCJ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PkngCJ/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($309.99 @ Amazon)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($28.98 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PROFESSIONAL ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($184.98 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory  ($174.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: A-Data SP900 M.2 128GB M.2-2242 Solid State Drive  ($78.37 @ NCIX US)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($339.99 @ Amazon)

Case: Fractal Design Define XL R2 (Titanium Grey) ATX Full Tower Case  ($129.98 @ OutletPC)

Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum 1000W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($163.50 @ Newegg)

Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor  ($129.99 @ Best Buy)

Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor  ($129.99 @ Best Buy)

Total: $1670.76
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-24 10:04 EDT-0400

For what its worth, I bought the Hero first. I had two of them, actually, and both were DOA. Tried differant CPUs, RAM, and PSUs, could NOT get it to boot. Talked with ASUS support, they had me update the BIOS via USB flashback, which is a great feature, but still wouldnt boot.

ASUS QA isn't what it used to be. The Hero is a fantastic board, and it is gorgeous, the only thing it doesnt have is 4x M.2. But for the price premium, I'm not sure it's worth it, especially with the QA issues. I bought my boards on launch day, so hopefully they have it sorted out now.

And then, if overclocking is your only concern, there is the Z97 OC Forumla, which isnt as nice looking and has Killer LAN instead of Intel LAN, but its a much better value. And if you REALLY want the best overclocking board, the MSI X Power might be a better choice..

looks good to me.

i would personaly trow in a cheaper psu, like i said 750W / 850W if you want the option for Sli. Thats basicly way enough.

The only thing i would personaly change are your rams, your rams are higprofile, so large heatspreader on them, that could be a problem wenn using bigger aircooler. i would advice to change the rams to low profile ones like G.Skill Snipers, or G.skill Ares.

i personaly realy like the looks of the Asrock Z97 OC Formula board. 6+2 powerphase and digi vrm, which is basicly fine overclocking.

The Msi Xpower AC  stated as 16 phase board, but in real, its a true 8 phase board with doublers. The SFC chokes that Msi uses, have less current capicity only 45A instead of 60A on the blackwing chokes that Asus is using, on theire higherend boards.

But yeah in the end most boards will be fine.

Asus helping services suck a bit indeed.

below 70c + 1.5v on haswell + aircooler + 4.8GHz does not add up...

I have an ASRock Z97X Killer. I like it a lot. They definitely are a bit more budget orientated, but I feel that a lot of the features you get from a high quality board like some ASUS boards are hard to quantify in the real world. Beefy power delivery, beefy VRM Heatsinks, dual coloured PCB, 4 pin fan headers all around, Ai Suite, (actually that ones pretty easy to quantify) 10k and 12k capacitors all around.

Okay maybe your motherboard will last you 10 years, but who keeps a PC for 10 years. I think enthusiasts are the last people to do that. 

Got the Asrock Fatal1ty z97 Killer and it is sturdy and solid.. Works great.. I have a Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU cooler attached from Be Quiet! and it works great! No bends whatsoever ;)