[AsRock B650E PG Riptide WiFi] No more POST when applying any bios setting

I’ve been dealing with a very frustrating issue for months now. Applying any bios setting and restarting makes it not post anymore. It gets stuck on the DRAM+CPU debug LEDs. However clearing CMOS and booting without ever entering bios will post just fine into the OS and everything works as it should.

At first I thought it would probably be the issue with the AMD AGESA update everyone was talking about so I decided to wait out the bios updates, but now that the updated bioses (in my case 1.18.AS03) are out I can confidently say: my problem persists :frowning:

It seems to be independent of bios versions as well no amount of down or upgrading the bios will change anything. I tried every bios version on the driver and support page for this motherboard. It used to work fine before. Never did any overclocking or anything in the bios out of the ordinary.

Its not the first time I had issues with this build, see my other thread for more info on that.

Is the mobo toast? cpu defective? - I have no idea where even to start.

Does anyone know whats going on?

My system:

• Asrock B650E PG Riptide WiFi (new)
  • AMD Ryzen 7600x (new)
  • 2x Crucial DIMM 16GB, DDR5-4800
  • NH-D15 (from previous build, known good and working)
  • Seasonic Prime TX-750 750W PSU (from previous build, known good and working)
  • GTX 770 (from pevious build)

Are you sure you got the riptide wifi bios and not the non wifi version?

Yes, I got all of my bioses to test with from this page: https:// pg(dot)asrock(dot)com/mb/AMD/B650E%20PG%20Riptide%20WiFi/index.asp#BIOS

(apparently Im not allowed to post links replace (dot) with dots)

Well, time for an update:
I contacted ASrock support, they told me its probably either motherboard or CPU or both and that I should request an RMA at the retailer I got them from.
I then contacted the technical support of my retailer with the same conclusion.
I then sent CPU and Motherboard back and a week later I got that same CPU(they tested it and found no fault) back and a new Motherboard.
The new Motherboard arrived today. So I rebuild everything and cautiously started testing:
Out of the box it came on bios 1.07 and with nothing altered it worked, I could boot up, change the LED settings(both settings located in both ‘tools’ and ‘onboard devices’), save and exit and it would work just fine and reboot like its supposed to.
I then felt a bit more confident and first flashed the most recent bios (1.18) turned off LEDs again and ran FanTuning. I then hit save and exit aand it didnt boot again, getting up to check I saw the by now ever familiar DRAM+CPU debug lights and after waiting 20 minutes they were still on and the computer still hasnt booted. No matter how often I reboot it always gets stuck on DRAM+CPU unless I clear CMOS, after which it will boot up and run just fine unless I enter bios, entering bios will make it get stuck in DRAM+CPU again until I CMOS clear again.

So the exact same issue I had before.
Im kind of at a loss for words honestly. What I wrote above is all I did.
changing and saving the LED settings worked before so its unlikely that this is the culprit. The only other things I touched were FanTuning and the bios updater in Tools, so… using either will brick your motherboard?
Does anyone have any idea of what happened here? Or seen something similar to this?

Try a different PSU. I had very similar warm boot issues when my EVGA 1050w PSU crapped out.

Unfortunately I dont have another PSU to test.
And the same happens on cold boots(switch off PSU, unplug the cable, push the power button for 3 seconds, push it again, plugging the cable back in, switching the PSU on and pressing the power button to start the PC) as well.
CMOS reset into disable Fast boot does the same. So I dont think it is a warm boot issue(unless I misunderstand what warmboot means).
Another thing to note is that although the onboard rbg was on and on rainbow out of the box, after the CMOS clear it stays off and never turns on.

Try without the gtx 770

It might not have a uefi vbios since that was just starting to be a thing back then and the new boards might default to CSM disabled (uefi only mode)

7000 chips all have an integrated GPU for video output

If it works set desired bios settings+ disabled CSM and put the gtx 770 back in

Though at this point I’d advise either using the integrated GPU or get a new GPU if that doesn’t suffice

I just tested it and using the igpu does not change the behavior. (Although a new GPU is definitely on the roadmap)
I’d think that if that were the case it would’ve gotten suck at the VGA phase instead of DRAM+CPU?

Something thats also interesting:
doing CMOS clear → BIOS → restore default bios settings → save and restart
results in the same getting stuck in DRAM+CPU, but makes the onboard rbg light back up in rainbow again(which have been off ever since I turned them off after I got the motherboard out of the box).

Bad ram?

I dont think so? Because the issue only appears if I set foot into the bios(regardless of if I save or not). For context The samsung ram I originally bought actually was defective and I returned those for the Crucial ones I have now. You can read about it here
As long as do not enter bios after a CMOS clear I can benchmark and stresstest the ram all I want and it doesnt crash or result in any instability (that I can tell anyways)

So order a new one from a store with a generous return policy. If it does not fix your issue, return it.

That seems a little dick-ish, no offense

Process of elimination. You’ve already replaced the mobo. CPUs generally don’t fail unless you physical damage or overvolt them. Your RAM passes memtest. What’s left? The PSU.

Im currently thinking that it might be a software/firmware issue that may physically break the mobo(perhaps the fantuning sending a voltage to where it shouldnt or the update setting hardware flags that it shouldnt) or get the memory in a weird state where it cant recover from.
Im currently talking with asrock support about that, but due to easter its going to be until next week before I hear back.

I just have too strong doubts about it being the PSU to scam some retailer out of a new PSU. The behavior Im seeing just makes no sense for the PSU to be faulty. It worked flawlessly out of the box, updating bios and running FanTuning made the behavior reappear and none of those issues I have now I had before in my previous system(AM4 ryzen 4750pro on a msi board(that I hated) which I had in almost continuous use for over a year until around early december) with that same PSU.

Sorry for returning this from the dead but i have the same issue. at first when i got the pc changes of ram speed from default 4800 to 5600(ram that i got has 5600 as default) than boot took like 3 mins or something then one day tpm stoppped working- was unable to access my linux luks encrupted disk. so i had to clear cmos, then it worked ok, but for some reason case fans never spun up. so i connected those to molex. I’ll send pc for RMA but in the meantime i upgraded bios to latest one and problem persists. right now(like 2 mins ago) i tried changing fan curve for cpu fan#2(noctua d15) and it just won’t boot. naver have i ever been so disapointed with my purchase :confused: