Ask L1Techs Anything!

Any thread.

1 Like

There are many reasons to love your content, and this community, but the primary one is that Level1Techs seems to be pretty committed to providing thing of value to its audience. There’s lots of entertaining content on the internet, but very little even pretends to provide anything of value to the consumer. That said, over the years, and stretching back to the TS days, I’ve gained so much from watching these videos. I’ve learned about the news, I’ve been made aware of the social and political interactions with technology and how that is impacting me, I’ve learned the perspective of how technology works from people that work with it regularly. It’s funny because people toss the word “empowered” around a lot, but I honestly feel more empowered by what L1T has offered than possibly any other institution. You guys have taught me skills and perspective that I have fallen back on many times in both my personal life and professional career. These skills have given me an advantage at the workplace, and at home I have a NextCloud server, I have a VPN, I run pfSense, etc.

Most of the technology in my life works for me, because of the skills I’ve learned from the content you guys produce. I know so many people who are completely at the mercy of the technology in their lives, and have no idea how to control it. But you guys have rescued me, and many others, from that predicament. I think there’s something genuinely noble in that regard.

So I guess my question is, why do you do it? The internet fame? But few people offer real things of value for free, so I assume that the mere act of offering real, valuable content has other motivations as well. What are those motivations? What is it you want people to say and think about your videos and content when they see it?

Also, how can the average user contribute more to the site and community?

Also also, ʜᴏᴡ ᴏɴ ᴇᴀʀᴛʜ ᴅᴏ I ɢᴇᴛ ᴠғɪᴏ ᴘᴀssᴛʜʀᴏᴜɢʜ ᴡᴏʀᴋɪɴɢ ᴡɪᴛʜ ɪᴅᴇɴᴛɪᴄᴀʟ ᴄᴀʀᴅs??

5 Likes

does any one actually use Linux as their daily driver? If so, what distro/de.

1 Like

Ooo Oooo, I can answer that. I made the switch and have been dealing with Linux Mint since last year. I say “dealing with” because it’s admittedly not as easy as Windows, but the privacy trade-off and the imminent Windows 7 EOL is enough to keep me going.

1 Like

Why does my OS suck?

2 Likes
  • Would @kreestuh and @ryan be willing to try to use some of the more esoteric unix/linux stuff, like tiling window managers, vi, emacs, for a video? I think that has the potential to be interesting and/or entertaining. Dwarf Fortress would also fit that kind of theme.
  • Initial thoughts on the Talos II? Has Kreestuh tried using Krita, drawing tablets with it?
  • Possibilities for more behind-the-scenes content?
3 Likes
  • is Ryan aware that @AnotherDev is basically this doppelgänger?
  • Will there be a wendell body pillow in the store?
  • Will there be more Videos with kreeestuuuh doing/talking about Design stuff? I really enjoy it when there is a tiny little sport in the news and would like some more.
4 Likes

You mean

When will the wendell body pillow be in stock?

5 Likes

Oh, also, we never got to see the end of kreestuh’s conspiracy wall skit thing.

5 Likes
  • Will there be more of kreeestuuh, since she’s cool and knowledgeable?
1 Like

Q for each, what is your most succinct solution to all of the world’s humanities problems, as you see them?

Who’s Ryans favourite powerpuff girl?

If one would cosplay as the phantom, what’s better for the underwear; silk or sway?
Asking for a friend.

How would Krista recommend disposing a dead body?
Also asking for a friend, totally not related with the previous.

2 Likes

No.
She’s got another wedding to go to.

1 Like

What is more important to you, performance or opensource. For instance do you like to play games use programs in windows because it’s running faster or do you use linux despite things running slower.

So, I actually really enjoy Scrapyard Wars (I watched all the seasons in a week when. I was sick and I was hooked). Do you guys have any plans to do something similar? Maybe participate with Linus in it?

2 Likes

What’s Staci (?) Up to these days?

Does Boiler Snake have ambitions to move out? Or is it the land lord or something? I gather that they have been there potentially longer than you three.

What car is it that Ryan does not take out in then rain?

With no thinking time just immediately to mind, what is your favourite book each? This does not apply to Kreestuh so much (unless the answers is something non Tolkien based…

Subsequently thinking about it and going through the options and history, what is your favourite books in general. The first version of this really needs to be a spur of the moment question, it being on the forums and readable in advance might sway the answers so just the second version is fine.

1 Like

Was that the person who had the book club?

1 Like

She is the social influencer in the background of the news repping the L1 merch.

She should probably change though… Get new stock on display, something brighter and less blendy in.

2 Likes

Should we bring the book club back up?

2 Likes

Who would in a wrestling match, Lemmy or God?

2 Likes