Ask L1Techs Anything!

Welcome to the forum!

I think this is worth a whole community discussion. I’ve actually got a lot of thoughts on this and I’ve got both a mid-tower PC for gaming and an ultrabook with a eGPU, so I think I can provide a pretty good opinion of both. “extremes”.

1 Like

How many questions do I get?

2 Likes
  1. That was it. Sorry
5 Likes

Ideally I’d like each of you to answer these separately :slightly_smiling_face::

• What is your favourite pet project that you’d like to work on the most (if you had enough time and resources).
  • Which product you can think of (hardware, software, cookies, anything really,…) in your mind is the closest to being perfect.

Thanks for all the interesting content and your work! I really enjoy the niche hardware and Linux stuff the most and I’m happy like a child about any video in that area. … also Krista’s rare design related content!

3 Likes

Started a discussion on the Hardware -> Build your own PC forum, not sure if that is the best place to put it but…

Not likely. Discrete will always be more powerful. Integrated has many issues. Heat dissipation is one, performance is another. APUs are only good for mobile space and lowend desktops. Cores are increasing, performance too. But with more cores means less space for powerful gpu integrations. 200 dollar card will still be more powerful than 100 dollar apu.

Has to be heat and memory access, allthough the second one can be reduced by placing HBM on the CPU interposer.

I would guess you meant that the other way round. Then you have to keep in mind the cost of GPU + CPU versus APU.

His point was that a future apu is catching up to 200 dollar card performance. I am saying 2 years from now a apu may be as powerful in graphics terms as a 200 dollar card that is a few years old. So by then a 200 dollar card at the time will outperform a 100 - 150 dollar apu.

1 Like

What is the oldest piece of still functional hardware that you have?

Functional == still good enough to do everything its supposed to do

3 Likes

Would @ryan recommend a keyboard for me? It needs to have RGB.

oh, I like that one! :+1:

It could be anything really…

from a mistreated network switch that’s survived wars to a box you just had running in a corner somewhere doing ‘a thing’ that is so rock solid it has become known as ‘old faithful’.

Sometimes it’s hard decommissioning old tech as you know full well it had a lot more life left in it.

1 Like

Are you (any of you) going to the LTT expo?

2 Likes

Have/Would any of you use Gentoo? Why or why not?

1 Like

OG Sega Genesis.

1 Like

Wendell

2 Likes

what is your thought in afterlife and life outside of the solar system?

what do you think about the AI do you have any fear?

describe these words with a short phrase:

Death, Racism, Art, Joy, pleasure, Anime, America, Apple, Religion.

Thank you

1 Like

Spork, Foon or Splayd?

3 Likes

Pfft, the Mega Drive was better.

I am still amazed America, land of excess and all thing ridiculous got a console called genesis where everywhere else it was the Mega Drive. It sounds so american.

1 Like