Aside from Tonic, what else is good with Gin?

Basically what the title says. I've only ever had G&Ts, and want to expand my Gin horizons.

not drinking everything straight
pleb

Catnip, bleach, cyanide...
Fruit juices, carbonated drinks...

1 Like

Tom Collins

25ml simple syrup ( 50/50 mix of sugar and water)
25ml Lemon juice
60ml Gin (Tanqueray is good, Beefeater is good - just dont buy any of the crap under 40%)
Combine well and pour into a Collins glass (tall thin highball) add Ice cubes, and top with soda water.

Lemons can be substituted for Lime or Grapefruit juice

Martini

80ml of Gin
20ml of Dry Vermouth (Dolin Dry is good)
Shake well in a mixer with plenty of ice cubes
Garnish with olives on a toothpick (to make a dirty martini, just add a dash of the olive brine)

I'll ask my brother for a few more recipe's - he used to work for Gordon Ramsay

2 Likes

The best thing to go with gin
Is more gin.
Just remember,
Its not drinking "all day"
If you don't start in the morning.

Orange juice w/ pulp.

2 Likes

A little ice.

7 up or sprite. It goes even better with lime twisted gin.

I rarely drink nowadays, but the good lady enjoys making and drinking sloe gin

450g/1lb sloes
225g/8oz caster sugar
1 litre/1¾ pint gin

Prick the tough skin of the sloes all over with a clean needle and put in a large sterilised jar.

Pour in the sugar and the gin, seal tightly and shake well.

Store in a cool, dark cupboard and shake every other day for a week. Then shake once a week for at least two months.

through muslin into a sterilised bottle.

Sloe is like a small plum, can substitute other fruit. Plums and Damsons etc are related and still need tough skin to be pierced. Blackberries are favoured here as the tedious first step isn't needed

Can also replace the gin with vodka

The fruit flavour will increase if left to age in the bottle for a year or 2

1 Like

Bitter Lemon (e.g., Schweppes Bitter Lemon) works nice :D

Some people drink from joy, others from sorrow, some people drink from the morning.
Still, i don't like Gin with anything else, than Tonic. May be because i like Tonic...

I invented a drink that my friend and I used to think was good. I called it a Pip Tea.
(a pip is a British orange seed)

Ice in a tall glass
a shot of gin
a shot of orange juice
fill with iced tea

I like my Gin with some sprite at about 50/50. It's great on its own as well (the sprite is mainly there so I can drink more of it).

When I was at university I used have Gordon's Dry Gin with Fanta. The results were interesting. And now, a few years on, I can't drink Fanta without feeling like there's Gin in it.

Lets go old school ?

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/131930/perfect-gin-martini/

Try not to step on or bruise too hard. ( meaning not too much ice or shaken with too much ice )

Prefer lemon twist in this case. I do mean correct presentation of twist. Which is not just a slice of lemon. google twist ?

I like my olives and prefer dirty martinis not bruised to hard. Gin or vodka

Yes, can't recommend sloe gin enough. Way better made with gin, than vodka.

Why... why would someone torture their martini so? If it weren't for James Bond then everyone would drink their martinis the proper way, STIRRED.

:) movies

Sexy women???

1 Like