Arma 3 Gaming Rig for Ultra Settings Advice Needed!

Upgrading to the 8350 WILL make a big difference. For example:

• The 8350 is 12% faster when running Single-threaded applications (games).
  • The Multi-threaded performance of the microprocessor is higher.
  • The processor performs 13% better in memory-intensive tasks
  • Graphics performance of the CPU is higher.
  • Has a higher default clock speed of 4GHz as opposed to 3.5GHz. About a 15% higher speed.
  • Has a larger L2 cache - Around 35% more.
  • A larger L1 cache
  • Reported clock speeds upwards of 4.9GHz.
  • 2 more cores
  • 2 more threads
  • 40% better on PassMark
  • 50% better on GeekBench 64bit
  • 35% better on PassMark (Overclocked)
  • 40% better on Cinebench r11.5
  • 15% better 3DMark11 physics score

Most tech forums like Tomshardware will tell you to get a FX 8350 over the FX 6300 when combining with an R9 290 since the fx 6300 will bottleneck the R9 290.

I'll give it a shot. Bought one.

Ok, I got swapped the 6300 for the 8350 now, it's nunning at 4.85 Ghz but I don't get a single frame more on ARMA3. It is faster in Cinebench for example but not really in things like Unigine Valley. I'm kinda disappointed.

Arma 3 is a cpu bound game, since haswell i5´s have way faster individual cores then AMD FX cpu´s. You dont have to be a genius to understand that ARMA3 which can be optimized for 4 threads, will simply run better on an i5. especialy multiplayer. especialy on the minimum fps.

Most todays games dont use more then 4 main threads, so those extra 4 cores on a FX8350 arent going to help you in any way what so ever.

Same story with an i5 vs i7 in Arma3 and DayZ. THe i7 has 4 cores 8 threads, on which the i5 has just 4 cores 4 threads. Since Arma3 can be optimized for 4 cores, you are not going to get any bennefits from the i7 over the i5 at all. in this game.

In some games the FX8350 will definitely benefits over a FX6300, because of its extra FPU, But this highly depends on how the game engine scales its threads, over the modules.. A good example of a game that benefits from this is Watchdogs.

But Arma 3 and DayZ not realy. THe FX8350 will still bottleneck the R9-290 in this particular game.

To be fair, that game need's setting up correctly in the config file and have a differnce between online and offline setting's -.
E.g PlayerProfile config -
mouseSmoothing=0 not 5
Arma 3 config -
GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1 not 1000.

This is what I call standerd / high setting's for online play for arma 3. * SSD not HDD *
-
Server's only allow up to 1600 - 1600 Overall - Object distance, but personally I keep Overall 1600- Object around 1100 due to town's can be a arss for fps and for god take turn off HeadBob in option's - Game.
-
Sampling 100% no less or more,Texture on high - ultra, Object = Normal - high, Terrain = low, Shadow/Cloud = disable, Partials = low, PIP= Standerd - Low - Disabled, Dynamic-lights = ultra, HDR standerd = highest.
-
Everything else just turn off like AA, AO, V sync - DOF- water stuff and what not.
-
Also use Nivida Inspector to put a frame cap to your monitor refresh rate e.g 60MHz = 59.7

And also thank me after ;)